Default Volvo Penta 2003 Exhaust Elbow

Hi there,

I am working with my Dad to try and sort out some problems with our seawater-cooled Volvo Penta 2003.
    We've come across a load of gunk in the exhaust elbow (http://www.boatpartsandspares.co.uk/...690-3442-p.asp) which we have cleared out (I hear it's a common problem).

What is not clear, is whether the three more rectangular holes we've cleared out on the elbow are supposed to match up with open channels on the engine block, or whether, on the seawater-cooled model, these rectangular holes are purposefully blocked off as part of the design.

If anyone could advise that would be fantastic as we're not sure if these rectangular holes on the block have been clogged with gunk (which should be removed) or whether it's supposed to be like that and we need to leave them alone!

Many thanks for your help,
    Robin

Default Re: Volvo Penta 2003 Exhaust Elbow

This topic was explore in some detail in a recent forum thread. Basically the three apertures you describe have no connection to the engine. The only connections are - exhaust gas via the main circular central ope from the engine head and the cooling water via the copper tube connection

Are you sure about that, this is a sea water cooled engine and I think you are thinking of the fresh water cooled engine, I am not sure as its three years since I sold my 2003 which was fresh water cooled but the raw water on that went through the heat exchanger and then through the copper tube into the exhaust elbow. I could be wrong but I would check before doing anything more, I think the sea water goes around the engine head then into the elbow through the slots mentioned.
    Mike

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ht=len+ingalls

There is definitely no connection. The oblong indentations are caused by yrs of water just lying there.The gasket has the oblong holes cut out because the same gasket is used in an optional 4" hi riser extension used when engine is below waterline.
    If water went down thru those oblong dimples,it would run into engine via exhaust valves. See the above post & look at pics.
    Cheers/ Len
    Last edited by Len Ingalls; 26-03-16 at 23:24.

Yep I see that on the direct cooled engine the water goes straight from the thermostat housing to the back of the elbow, so once the temp is reached the thermostat opens letting the water into the exhaust and more cooling water in, I assume there is route for excess water to pass the thermostat in order to cool the exhaust.
    Regards mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pagetslady View Post
    Yep I see that on the direct cooled engine the water goes straight from the thermostat housing to the back of the elbow, so once the temp is reached the thermostat opens letting the water into the exhaust and more cooling water in, I assume there is route for excess water to pass the thermostat in order to cool the exhaust.
    Regards mike
    That's right. Unlike car cooling systems boats usually have a twin valve thermostat with a bypass channel to ensure that the exhaust is always cooled.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Pagetslady View Post
    Regards mike
    Before the t-stat opens,in a RW cooled 200x series,the water travels from the closed t-stat to an inlet on front of cyl head,thru a perforated spray tube in head(cooling the head),out the back of head,& via a copper pipe to an inlet at the port(or inboard) side of Exh. elbow,cooling the exhaust. The pipe direct from t-stat housing doesn't get used until t-stat opens.

See RIBW's post # 54 on pg 6 of the link in my post # 4 above. Explains the 2 RW routes-before & after T-stat opens.

Cheers/ Len
    Last edited by Len Ingalls; 27-03-16 at 23:08.