Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default 3 dead, 1 survivor - Liferaft failed to imflate

FV Louisa sank of Mingulay on Saturday. The liferaft failed to inflate despite the crew cutting the box open and doing their best to fix it. The survivor swam ashore, 2 bodies recovered, 4th still missing.

Default Re: 3 dead, 1 survivor - Liferaft failed to imflate

There seem to have been more stories over the years of liferafts failing to inflate than of them actually working. What a sad and tragic story this is, I can't imagine the fear and frustration as they tried to get it to work.

Thanks for the update- where did you get the liferaft info? The story makes much more sense now.
    I've been following this one closely as between us, SWMBO and I know know some of those involved.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Lets hope the investigation finds out why it did not inflate.

There was a yacht returning across the Atlantic a few years back that sank (due to rudder loss) and the liferaft did not inflate. The crew were saved by another yacht close by- never heard a follow up to that one.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

How much is related to people not having their life rafts serviced regularly? I must admit, as I get older, the only reason I even get the car to its MOT is because the OH has remembered! Time just goes past so quickly. Not an excuse but it's human nature.

Not wishing to start an argument but if you have a look at the average fishing vessel, in Scotland at least, most are in a terrible state and obviously get little if any maintenance.
    'Never trust a Nationalist' - George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Malo37 View Post
    Not wishing to start an argument .........
    This is a tragedy and it gives all of us food for thought. However, to imply that the liferaft service was overdue or that the vessel was badly maintained without an iota of evidence is just crass and tasteless. There will be a MAIB enquiry and any lessons learned will be absorbed by the fishing community and by all who carry only one liferaft.

stevepick is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Thanks for the update Awol. When I first read the news reports they didn't make any sense, but the reports now on the BBC sound like it was a desperate scene. Water temps right now must be around 7-8 degreees. I hope the MAIB can find what failed. Losses like this have a huge impact on such small communities. RIP.

Very sad, I have seen a liferaft fail to inflate. It was it was obviously a badly run training exercise but it did make me think about why it had failed. I'll try to find the video and upload it.

The initial attempts at pulling the tether simply resulted in the liferaft drifting under the pontoon. Pretty obvious that wouldn't work but it took ages for someone to work out he needed to push the canister away with his feet whilst pulling. Not very relevant to launching from a yacht. It did show that it wouldn't be inflated accidentally.

However, the actual inflation did take a while and the liferaft was reluctant to pop out of the canister. It looked as if the straps were too strong and would not release. Lots of hissing and only very slightly inflated when it was finally extracted. I'm pretty certain that most of the CO2 escaped via pressure relief valves when the liferaft was trying to inflate inside the canister.

I was very careful to examine the replacement straps when my own liferaft was serviced and make certain that they used the correct material.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast