Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: 3 dead, 1 survivor - Liferaft failed to imflate

Quote Originally Posted by Malo37 View Post
    Not wishing to start an argument but if you have a look at the average fishing vessel, in Scotland at least, most are in a terrible state and obviously get little if any maintenance.
    The Louisa wasn't an average fishing vessel, she was only about six or seven years old.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

There was a PBO liferaft test where one of the rafts failed to inflate - March 2014; Waypoint Offshore ORC - where the connection to the firing pin broke. I was disconcerted that this wasn't seen as a huge issue - the Waypoint was their favoured raft.

I've also heard of a cruise ship training exercise where the life raft failed to inflate ("it would work in a real emergency")

Not sure what to take from this other than don't trust something that is hard to test.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Lets hope the investigation finds out why it did not inflate.

There was a yacht returning across the Atlantic a few years back that sank (due to rudder loss) and the liferaft did not inflate. The crew were saved by another yacht close by- never heard a follow up to that one.
    If you look over the MAIB reports you will find several examples of liferafts that did not inflate. None of them down to lack of servicing - usually poor servicing.

The case of the yacht in the Irish Sea a few years ago where it failed to inflate and a nearby yacht took them off.

This is a tragedy and thoughts go out to the families and friends. I hope any investigation proves useful in preventing further disasters. The 3 thoughts that spring to mind are
    1) why did it sink?
    2) why were they not alerted early enough to mitigate any leaks?
    3) why did the life raft fail?

In most disasters there is normally a trail of problems that lead to the final tragedy. I question the use of life rafts In yachts, favouring alternative investments in safety, but in this case it sounds like an effective life raft would have been good last resort and may have saved lives.

Quote Originally Posted by pmagowan View Post
    This is a tragedy and thoughts go out to the families and friends. I hope any investigation proves useful in preventing further disasters. The 3 thoughts that spring to mind are
    1) why did it sink?

In most disasters there is normally a trail of problems that lead to the final tragedy. I question the use of life rafts In yachts, favouring alternative investments in safety, but in this case it sounds like an effective life raft would have been good last resort and may have saved lives.
    I did an article on a French sailor whose boat went on fire and then his nearly new liferaft only partially inflated. I wrote to the manufacturers, Ocean Safety, who said that they would investigate but I never heard back from them.

Daniel, the French sailor concerned, recommended that there should be a separate gas cylinder for each tube. (He is a retired colonel of the French fire brigade.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I did an article on a French sailor whose boat went on fire and then his nearly new liferaft only partially inflated. I wrote to the manufacturers, Ocean Safety, who said that they would investigate but I never heard back from them.

Daniel, the French sailor concerned, recommended that there should be a separate gas cylinder for each tube. (He is a retired colonel of the French fire brigade.)
    The order of problems there would be IMO;
    1)Why did the boat go on fire?
    2)Why was he not alerted to the fire quickly enough to deal with it, fire extinguishers etc?
    3)Why did the liferaft not inflate?

I agree that the liferaft not inflating is a major issue and I would also like to know why it failed but it is far better not to have to abandon ship in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by pmagowan View Post
    1) why did it sink?

News report said the crew woke to find the vessel flooding. It also said they were anchored. A simple bilge water alarm may have given them more time sadly not the case though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-36022655
    Last edited by Spyro; 12-04-16 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    News report said the crew woke to find the vessel flooding. Surely not all asleep at the same time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-36022655
    Yes, that seemed odd. Perhaps they were at anchor. What strikes me is that a water alarm is a lot cheaper than a life raft. It should normally be possible to prevent a boat 'spontaneously' sinking if you are warned in time.

Aye, it was night and they were at anchor. It was a crab boat so night working not likely.
    What did work was the EPIRB which got the helicopter and lifeboat on scene.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast