Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: 3 dead, 1 survivor - Liferaft failed to imflate

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Front LHS of the wheelhouse roof, just in front of the radar mast! If I've missed the joke ...sorry
    Yes - got it now - Thanks
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    We lost a man,shortly afterwards, when a severe gust (average wind speed 65 knots at that time) turned the life raft into a kite with him in it taking survival gear aboard, inverted and blew downwind turning it into a drogue. As we passed him the tether at full extension snapped under the pressure and that was that.
    No collision, half way across the Irish Sea, the lateral resistance on the rudder exerted on just the storm jib was simply too much for the rudder stock.
    Ironically the boat remained afloat, the rising water level was nothing more than the huge quantity of water which had entered whilst inverted and then draining back down into the saloon.
    A very sad business and one which I have related out of courtesy to your expressed interest but I would rather say nothing more, which I hope you will understand.
    Of course, very sorry to hear about your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by pmagowan View Post
    SOMETHING caused the fire. Preventing that thing from being able to start a fire is the first method for reducing risk. For instance I oversized my wiring and used wire with a fire extinguishing sleeve. Then the connections need to be good etc etc.

A fire does not go from nothing to uncontrollable in an instant unless you have ridiculously flammable materials around it. So, don't use these materials. Fit a sensitive fire alarm.

Having a fire prevent you from accessing your extinguishers means that you do not have enough easily accessible extinguishers. You can even fit automatic ones. Some are non destructive so will do minimal damage even if they go off accidentally.

The bottom line is that usually, if you have to abandon a boat a distinct trail of failures in risk management have occurred. Abandoning ship is the last resort and should be avoidable in most cases. When it is no longer unavoidable it sounds like relying on an inflatable raft may not be the best option.
    Good post: just purchased an additional fire extinguisher for the cockpit locker.

The MAIB have raised the 'Louisa' to further their investigation.

http://www.welovestornoway.com/index...ed-from-seabed
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Strikeliner View Post
    If you had no idea how to pack a parachute why would you try?
    Why therefore would you try to service your own life raft? We need to know exactly what happened to this one
    DIY may not be as bad as some service stations. We had ours repacked in Lisbon, when next service due in Gb 3 years later, he called us in to look at the raft. Very muddy, insulated floor missing, torch batteries well out of date and leaking and, worst of all, two broken inflation valves which would have let it deflate very quickly.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamM376 View Post
    DIY may not be as bad as some service stations. We had ours repacked in Lisbon, when next service due in Gb 3 years later, he called us in to look at the raft. Very muddy, insulated floor missing, torch batteries well out of date and leaking and, worst of all, two broken inflation valves which would have let it deflate very quickly.
    Exactly-we had an American liferaft, 4 years old, due for a service.

Not possible in the UK, in Italy, where it was made for the American company, in America or the Caribean.

Cost of return transport precluded this, with the cost of the service plus shipping it was higher than the cost of a cheaper, smaller liferaft.

We did it ourselves, and are happy with the result. We had a struggle getting it back in its valise, but after reading on here that one well known company used a hydraulic press to squeeze them small enough we were not too concerned.

There are too many horror stories about pro cock ups to risk getting an unkown company to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    There are too many horror stories about pro cock ups to risk getting an unkown company to do it.
    In our case, it was the Plastimo authorised service agent who did the bad job.

I recall waiting for clearance in Bermuda about 10 years ago there was a notice pinned in the C & I office warning sailors to have their liferafts re-serviced if they'd been serviced by a certain company (American) because the company had removed the actual rafts from the canisters and filled it instead with pebbles to the same weight. Unbelievable but true story. Not sure why it'd happened - might have been a disgruntled employee or a psychopath I don't know. But certainly I don't think it's outrageous to carry out a DIY service on your own liferaft.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456