Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Air intake silencer for 4108

Anyone had success with this yet? I purchased the 'recommended' ( ford ranger?)box but it is a bit like a dustbin in size and I am struggling to find a good place to fit it.
    If reports are good I will struggle on but may need something smaller.

Default Re: Air intake silencer for 4108

I've installed a 4.108 in an "engine-room" and I was hoping I would get away with some good insulation.

Is that not sufficient?

Did you see this thread?
    http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel...-silencer.html

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    I've installed a 4.108 in an "engine-room" and I was hoping I would get away with some good insulation.

Is that not sufficient?

Did you see this thread?
    http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel...-silencer.html

Noise Insulation is fine/essential but a surprising amount of noise is generated where the air is sucked in. Fellow forumites report big reductions in noise and I have personal experience of big noise reductions when using an air intake silencer on eberspacher heaters.
    No, not seen that thread but have seen many similar.

could you suck the air in from the (say) lazarette?

Back in the 80s I installed a Sailor Silent Set generator in the engine room of the company ketch. It had very effective exhaust mufflers ( Vetus) and a longish black plastic intake muffler that reduced the intake noise. Engine was a BMW ( Hatz) single and in it's insulated box one could talk right by it without raising one's voice. Not sure who made the intake muffler, but it might have been Vetus.

Yes coopec, I guess that drawing the air in from elsewhere ( and where there is plenty of clean air and noise is not an issue) would reduce the noise.
    the hose that DownWest mentions sounds like the ones for the eberspachers ( which are effective) these seem to be the ( standard) 25mm diam corrugated plastic hose enclosed in a larger ( 50mm?)diameter corrugated plastic hose. I may take one to bits but guess that the inner hose will have holes in it so that some air circulates/is drawn through the outer 'jacket'. With luck We may get an 'expert' to explain all this!!
    Fitting a larger version of that type of inlet silencer would appeal to me more than the large plastic dust bin thing I am considering!!

Quote Originally Posted by pcatterall View Post
    Anyone had success with this yet? I purchased the 'recommended' ( ford ranger?)box but it is a bit like a dustbin in size and I am struggling to find a good place to fit it.
    If reports are good I will struggle on but may need something smaller.
    I used a remote air filter from a diesel car in a scrap yard, worked well and cheap also you can mount it where suits best.

Quote Originally Posted by pcatterall View Post
    Yes coopec, I guess that drawing the air in from elsewhere ( and where there is plenty of clean air and noise is not an issue) would reduce the noise.
    the hose that DownWest mentions sounds like the ones for the eberspachers ( which are effective) these seem to be the ( standard) 25mm diam corrugated plastic hose enclosed in a larger ( 50mm?)diameter corrugated plastic hose. I may take one to bits but guess that the inner hose will have holes in it so that some air circulates/is drawn through the outer 'jacket'. With luck We may get an 'expert' to explain all this!!
    Fitting a larger version of that type of inlet silencer would appeal to me more than the large plastic dust bin thing I am considering!!
    That is exactly what is in the Eberspacher silencer... along with some foam in the outer pipe..... They work surprisingly well for what they are....... perhaps its vodo???

The bit I was talking about was not a hose, it was a moulded plastic job that looked a bit like some of the Vetus mufflers for the last bit of an exhaust run.

My old 108 had a flame gauze fitted directly to the manifold with an automotive cleaner on top. I think that if you have to use the "Thermostart" which involves flames ! A flame trap might be good idea, or some metal duct before adding any plastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast