View Poll Results: How do you stow your main?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stackpack

102 52.31%
  • Lazyjacks

36 18.46%
  • Flake down by hand

38 19.49%
  • In-mast or -boom furling

15 7.69%
  • Other

4 2.05%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Lazyjacks, stackpacks etc.

I am a devoted fan of my stackpack (or however you choose to spell it). Sailing short-handed it means I can drop the main in seconds and worry about tidying up after berthing. Reefs require attention to tack and clew only and harbour stowing is a question of running the zip along the top. I have just done an OPB* trip on a boat with nothing to catch the sail as it comes down and it was a 5-10 minute job for 2 people to stow it with the helmsman unsighted for a lot of that time.

Why make it hard for yourself?

* Other People's Boats
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Default Re: Lazyjacks, stackpacks etc.

Depends on boat size. I removed the lazyjacks on my 27ftr, just didn't seem worth the hassle of having to adjust them, getting them caught on battens, more string at the mast. But on the current 33ft boat we have a fully battened main with stackpack, and it is certainly worth it.

Then you get crazy people like DanCrane who sticks lazyjacks on a dinghy...
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Lazyjacks, but I wish I had a stackpack (and fully-battened main).

I fitted lazyjacks to my 28-foot boat but I'm not convinced they're worth the trouble and I may remove them.

I find that a 3-strand line under the boom, stretched between the gooseneck and the boom end, with sail tyers threaded through the lay every couple of feet is the greatest help. It only takes a moment to drop the sail and get a few tyers around it. The only scary moment I ever had was when the mainsheet wasn't properly secured and I ended up dangling over the water

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    I find that a 3-strand line under the boom, stretched between the gooseneck and the boom end, with sail tyers threaded through the lay every couple of feet is the greatest help. It only takes a moment to drop the sail and get a few tyers around it. The only scary moment I ever had was when the mainsheet wasn't properly secured and I ended up dangling over the water
    Funnily enough I currently have exactly the same setup on my 27 footer with its modest mainsail, fitted by a previous owner, which I've managed fine with for years. So I voted flake down by hand.

But I've just ordered a stackpack/lazyjack package from Crusader Sails, the reason being that I'm frequently single-handed and the coachroof on my narrow-beamed boat is awash with trip-hazards - oversize dorade vents and housings, liferaft mounted just forward of the sprayhood, etc.

Its a convenience I'm looking forward to benefitting from, when reefing as much as when coming into a harbour or anchorage, and should make covering the mainsail when finally stopped a quicker and more frequent occurrence!
    Last edited by Babylon; 24-06-16 at 21:48.
    Plan B...?

Our sail cover needs replacing and because of the nature of our sailing I am considering a stack pack (Probably self made) are there any designs freely available?

Quote Originally Posted by davidpbo View Post
    Our sail cover needs replacing and because of the nature of our sailing I am considering a stack pack (Probably self made) are there any designs freely available?
    Try the USA Sailrite website.

Old git here. In mast furling pref with elec winches. Stackpack / lazyjacks a distant second. Hand flaking, OK if you have young paid crew
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeartist View Post
    Lazyjacks, but I wish I had a stackpack ...
    I'm not sure I know the difference?

Well you could have one without the other but not the other way round...
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast