View Poll Results: How do you stow your main?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stackpack

102 52.31%
  • Lazyjacks

36 18.46%
  • Flake down by hand

38 19.49%
  • In-mast or -boom furling

15 7.69%
  • Other

4 2.05%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Lazyjacks, stackpacks etc.

Just a lil boat, 20ft, and drop it on the coach roof/ into the cabin works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    Depends on boat size. I removed the lazyjacks on my 27ftr, just didn't seem worth the hassle of having to adjust them, getting them caught on battens, more string at the mast. ...
    We have a stackpack on our 28ft boat. I've never understood why people find the need to adjust a stackpack every time they raise lower the sail. Once ours is set up at the start of the season it is not changed again until we take it off at season's end. Also, there is no string at the (bottom of the) mast. Our string starts at the stack pack goes up above the spreader and back to the stackpack (via a stainless ring split) to give a 3 point suspension. It was one of the first and, to my mind, necessary modifications for convenient single handing.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
    I'm not sure I know the difference?
    Lazyjacks. A sort of cats cradle of lines either side of the mast to guide the sail down onto the boom when it's lowered.
    Stackpack. Bag around the boom to cradle the sail as it's lowered. Zip closure. Never seen one without lazyjacks but I guess possible.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala" for sale.

Tried lazyjacks last season on my 26 footer but found them more trouble than they were worth and removed them over the winter. They caught on sail battens when hoisting. If I left them alone while sailing they tap tap tapped against the sail. Pull them forward and they ting ting tinged against the mast. The final straw was when dropping the sail the 'flake' was just too tall and I had great difficulty getting the sail cover on.
    I have three reefs in my main, so it is the work of seconds to pull them tight and flake down half the sail. I then fold the remaining sail into its own bunt and secure with a bungee 'spider'.
    For those that don't know a spider is two lengths of bungee cord, slightly longer than the boom, whipped into a series of loops, each with a plastic clip. Strung under the boom it is easy to reach around and wrap each loop around the sail and secure it. Much safer than eye gouging individual bungees.

In mast furling on main, and stack-pack for mizzen. In-mast wins every time.

Looking at the stack packs on many yachts in a marina recently it looks to me as if there's no quick way of pulling the lazy-jacks forward out of the way. So to prevent the battens fouling the lazy-jacks, you have to be heading dead to windward when hoisting sail. The only way to do that is to use your engine. I wouldn't want to have to be dependant on an engine to hoist sail.

Whats wrong with using the engine to keep to windward...not a problem.
    What is a problem is my autopilot veers off course ...now that is a problem!
    Lazyjacks and two line reefing all done from the cockpit work very well for me.
    ""

Home made lazyjacks. 36ft, fully battened. Can be tied back to mast when hoisting the main if not directly head to wind.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Home made stackpack with four point lazy jacks incorporated on th Bavaria. The lazy jacks get set on the first sail of the season and stay like that. Hoisting the main is simply a matter of letting the main sheet go so that as the sail goes up the leech is kept over the top of the boom by the wind and hence the gap in the lazy jacks, thus avoiding batten trapping. Helps that the lazy jacks go up to pulleys on the top spreaders that are about 50cm out from the mast, thus widening the gap. Wouldn't be without the stackpack/lazy jack combo and it was very easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Niander View Post
    Whats wrong with using the engine to keep to windward...not a problem.
    What is a problem is my autopilot veers off course ...now that is a problem!
    Lazyjacks and two line reefing all done from the cockpit work very well for me.
    Yes, that would certainly work.

Suppose you were to shake out a couple of reefs. Would you start the engine to do that?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast