View Poll Results: How do you stow your main?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stackpack

102 52.31%
  • Lazyjacks

36 18.46%
  • Flake down by hand

38 19.49%
  • In-mast or -boom furling

15 7.69%
  • Other

4 2.05%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Lazyjacks, stackpacks etc.

I do find the top batten has a tendency to catch on the support lines of the stackpack, Slacking the lines and bringing them forward would solve that but I can't be bothered, it only takes seconds to clear the sail for hoisting. The ability to release the halyard clutch and have the main drop tidily in seconds so I can get back to the helm is worth any hassle involved in hoisting.

Rounding up isn't an issue for me as the rig rotates 360°. In fact I prefer to do it with the wind aft and the boom over the bows as it reduces apparent wind, especially when reefing.
    Last edited by snowleopard; 29-06-16 at 08:54.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Our new boat has roller furling self tacking jib with an in-mast furling main. It has a Lewmar electric winch to make it easy.

I dont think I will be able to bring myself to use the electric winch for furling but it will be used for unfurling.

We have only set both sails while alongside and it is obvious that both furling gears need servicing. The jib furling line is too thin also.

Down to the boat tomorrow to get on with things.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    Don't tell me I have to motor rigidly to windward to achieve any of this with lazyjacks?
    Certainly I can bring Ariam's main down with the wind from a variety of directions and without motoring. Hoisting it is a little more limiting; motoring to windward is indeed preferable, but certainly I've sailed off a mooring or from the anchor under jib alone and then hoisted the main while sailing. Part of the technique is to luff briefly to flick the battens past the lazy-jacks.

Fair to say though that it is all a lot more hassle than it was with Kindred Spirit - gaff sails slide up and down with hoops and jaws around a circular mast and don't really care which direction the hull underneath happens to be pointing.

Pete

{151760} is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by weustace View Post
    I have lazy-jacks on my Achilles 24, and am considering getting rid of them—there are (if I remember correctly) three attachment points on the boom, and I find myself almost invariably up on the coachroof while hoisting the sail to grab the leech and pull the first batten or two clear of the lazy-jacks (if not dead into wind). I don't much like that problem, and don't find them all that much help when stowing the sail, a bight of which often seems to flop out of the aft end. I suspect the positioning of the boom attachment points could be improved, but given the comparatively small sail I am inclined to do away with them completely, though I might investigate StormNorm's solution.
    I have sailed with stack-packs on larger charter boats, and I must say they are excellent when set up right, provided you are willing to live with being almost dead into wind to hoist the sail.
    I don't view a Stackpack as an automatic neat storage system. It means I can let go the clutch and drop the main quickly, stowing it properly later. The main won't be draped all over the coachroof, or fill with wind at an awkward moment.

Has anyone tried the Harken Batt Car System???

My own cosy little world where nice things happen and life is beautiful all the time

I have a homemade stackpack on both masts on my 33ft ketch. Set up at start of season and wouldn't be without them. They cost about 150pounds the two, including lazyjacks from screwfix.

BTW, I was always tought to get head to wind to hoist the main. Or mizzen, come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    Then you get crazy people like DanCrane who sticks lazyjacks on a dinghy...
    Ouch! Although even after three years, I guess bad publicity beats none. Lazyjacks are just as welcome if you're alone in a big dinghy, as on yachts where the mainsail may not flake obediently without lines to keep it on the boom.

I found this thread, trawling for descriptions of lazyjacks to discover whether anybody manages without adjustment-lines running from the shrouds down to the mast-foot...

...my arrangement has always run from boom up to tangs high on the mast, down to the shroud-bases, so it would seem an enormous improvement if the lazyjack line going up one side, could simply run round the front of the mast and back to the other side of the boom, as Alahol described here (page two). It simply never occurred to me before. Is there any downside to that?

Perhaps things have moved on a bit since this thread, but when I found the ends of my battens snagging the lazyjacks, I simply shortened the battens so they could be recessed inside their pockets. I've never understood why they are often too long, and stick out.

Is there any good reason why mainsail battens often can't be snugly pocketed in order not to snag the LJs?
    Last edited by dancrane; 03-05-19 at 01:06.

Fitted a new stack pack two weeks ago to 28ft boat. I followed a tip on this forum and ran the lines up to the spreaders /mast junction with a temporary fixing to test function. Much lower connection point than most and not adjustable. I will add eye nuts to the mast/spreader bracket this weekend as a permanent fixing point.

Seems to work well on test sail with no batten catching yet and drops the sail well. Also enables a full range of boom movement without getting too tight.
    BFE410FD-0DC6-436A-BA0D-BFEE6E96512F.jpg

Not the best picture but just about shows that the jacks are low and quite far back. I wonder if fixing the jacks too high on the mast contributes to the issues with battens catching and need to loosen system to raise main ( which somewhat defeats the work saving objective it in my view). The sail catching is done at the bottom of the sail so why have a tall jack set up?

No connection other than being a happy customer but worth a shout out to Sabre Sails in Swansea. They made the Spray hood using the old one as a template and stack pack for £725 including battens, bolt rope and delivery. Very pleased.
    Last edited by Dutch01527; 03-05-19 at 03:52.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
    I'm not sure I know the difference?
    I voted lazyjacks because my system consists of a sailbag with no battens in it, just eyelets and lazyjacks attached to the bag, so whether I should call it a stackpack like the more common battened bag arrangement is unclear.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Just to be controversial, I love my furling main. Don't need to go head to wind, just slack off a bit, it furls better under a bit of tension.

Tighten the topping lift, let off the outhaul and just wind the main into the mast and it's gone - no tidying up or anything

.... must admit, the old worn sails could catch in the slot and jam when unfurling, so it had to be unfurled on a port tack, but that is no longer necessary since I got stiff new sails in 2016 - works like a dream for both reefing and furling/unfurling.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast