Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default openWRF free high resolution GRIBs now cover the entire Med

The openWRF model runs now covers the entire Mediterranean in 12km and 4km resolution. The model output is freely available and focused on the sailing community's needs in the following forms:

- Downloadable Grib Files - "WRF Gribs" (Site also provides Skiron model Gribs)

- "Wind & Waves" interactive application that can choose any area and then produce meteograms and meteocharts for points of interest

- Regular weather charts for all areas covered - "Charts".

- Lightweight Grib files (wind and significant wave only) that can be obtained via saildocs email system.

Link to openSkiron.org site

Enjoy!

wrf-index-map2.jpg

Default Re: openWRF free high resolution GRIBs now cover the entire Med

Site gives a 404 error in Arabic for me.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by davidgal View Post
    The openWRF model runs now covers the entire Mediterranean in 12km and 4km resolution. The model output is freely available and focused on the sailing community's needs in the following forms:

- Downloadable Grib Files - "WRF Gribs" (Site also provides Skiron model Gribs)

- "Wind & Waves" interactive application that can choose any area and then produce meteograms and meteocharts for points of interest

- Regular weather charts for all areas covered - "Charts".

- Lightweight Grib files (wind and significant wave only) that can be obtained via saildocs email system.

Link to openSkiron.org site

Enjoy!

wrf-index-map2.jpg
    Well thanks. However I bet it will be just as rubbish as all the others. Try VHF ch 66. Proper.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Well thanks. However I bet it will be just as rubbish as all the others. Try VHF ch 66. Proper.
    Why don't you just give it a try? You might be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Site gives a 404 error in Arabic for me.

Richard
    Checked the link and it works for me. The site is in English and in Hebrew
    Perhaps just enter openskiron.org and work from there.

Hi,

It needs to be http://openskiron.org/en/openwrf

Hope it works for you now

I found the site without a problem

It does not explain whether the model used is any different from PWC and PWG as used by PredictWind for example
    Is the forecast a more detailed resolution that other sites?

TS

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    It does not explain whether the model used is any different from PWC and PWG as used by PredictWind for example. Is the forecast a more detailed resolution that other sites?
    Possibly. But one could end up with a HR version of a crap model.

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    I found the site without a problem

It does not explain whether the model used is any different from PWC and PWG as used by PredictWind for example
    Is the forecast a more detailed resolution that other sites?

TS
    The model used for the openWRF gribs is the NOAA WRF model version 3.7 with the latest ARW core. Basically it is the same non-hydro-static mesoscale model known as NAM (North American Mesoscale Model) that provides all detailed regional forecast products for the US.

openWRF is run several times a day on relatively small domains that cover the entire Med. Initialisation data is from the NOAA GFS at 27km resolution and the topography, terrain coverage etc are from the latest Modis data sets. Altogether it is a totally modern non-hydro-static model providing larger area coverage at 12km resolution for 5 days and smaller area coverage at 4km resolution for 48hrs

Predict wind does'nt exactly provide insight to their models but at least the 8km model and the 1km models are also most likely non-hydro-static models that are good for simulating local weather phenomena. I doubt if they have much coverage at 1km resolution as computing power would be the limiting factor.

The openSkiron Gribs also provided on the site are at produced by the University of Athens with their SKIRON model which is an older type of model based on the ETA model (which used to drive NAM in the past).

Are the openWRF gribs worth anything (which seems to be the concern in this thread)? - If you are in the Med just try them out. In a couple of days you will know for sure. I have a lot of very positive feedback from users and I myself spend most of the year sailing in the Med and I will use any grib files that I can find.

Up to two years ago the only free and open Gribs one could find for the Med were GFS gribs. GFS is a fine hydro-static global model that is designed to provide synoptic scale weather forecasts and not regional forecasts reflecting local phenomena. The European ECMWF model is also global and hydro-static and may be better and slightly higher resolution than GFS but has anyone ever seen a free grib file from them?

Coastal sailing in the Med is very much affected by local weather conditions that are not at all modelled well by GFS. I personally felt this discrepancy and this is what drove me to establish a site that can provide Grib files from regional non-hydrostatic models on a free and open basis for the sailing community. Sailors helping one another and no more. I turned to all the national weather services and other producers of local weather and asked them to share their grib files openly and freely. Only the University of Athens agreed to share the SKIRON output which I post process and publish it in usable form for leisure sailors.

Last year I began running productions of WRF gribs on 3 clusters of used servers (72 CPU's in total). I found these gribs to be very accurate and started to publish them on the site as well.

The bottom line is what Gribs from regional models that reflect local weather, are freely and openly available for the Med today? Not too many:
    - Meteo Consult have 11km gribs with wind only for 48 hours
    - Meteo France Arpege - gribs at 11km over all the Med
    - Meteo France Arome - gribs at about 3km covering France only
    - openSkiron gribs - 11 km over all the Med including WAM wave data
    - openWRF (at the openSkiron site) - 12 and 4 km covering all the Med with WAM wave data too

Besides the above it is only GFS which is first tier forecasting and lacks the more detailed second tier which is the forte of the non-hydro-static regional models.

The proof is in the pudding! Try the openWRF gribs. If they are not good - please let me know.

David
    Last edited by davidgal; 25-07-16 at 21:28.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast