Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate as Drinking Water Treatment?

Further to this thread ...
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
    When did you last disinfect your shower head?
    The thread linked above diverged into disinfection of water tanks, which was also useful. I had previously used Milton tablets for this, but I may have found a cheaper and more powerful alternative. I have bought some "mini" stabilised chlorine tablets meant for spa pools (link). They are about the diameter of a pound coin, and twice the thickness, so will easily drop into the water tanks.

The tablets are Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate, rather than Sodium Hypochlorite. Obviously the cyanide (CN) aspect is a bit of a concern, but the Wikipedia article says "... As a disinfectant, it is used to sterilize drinking water, swimming pools, tableware and air, fight against infectious diseases as routine disinfection...".

The dosing instructions say one tablet will raise the free chlorine level by 1ppm (1mg/l) in 1000l of water. For my 240 and 350 litre tanks this is ideal for an initial shock, but too strong for continuous use where 0.5ppm is more appropriate. More information at WHO Food Additives. I generally drink bottled water (as it is cold), but use tap water for coffee. I think I may have to use the bottled water for all consumption if I adopt this regime.

Any thoughts, especially from chemists named Vic?
    Last edited by nigelmercier; 25-07-16 at 08:59.

Default Re: Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate as Drinking Water Treatment?

I use these, cheap as chips, never had an issue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Tablets...IAAOxyrrpTjGqE

I use these:

http://www.cleantabs.co.uk/mega-tabs.php

which also contain Dichloroisocyanurate as the disinfecting agent so yours are probably similar but depends on the concentration in your tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    I use these, cheap as chips, never had an issue...
    Interesting, thank you.

Dosage: one 167mg tablet (also Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate) per 20-25 litres, cost 10p.
    My tablets are 3.2g (20x 167mg) so should be OK for 400 litres, cost 5p.

Quote Originally Posted by captainboo View Post
    I use these which also contain Dichloroisocyanurate ...
    MSDS for Clean Tabs products here. Troclosene Sodium is indeed Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate
    Last edited by nigelmercier; 25-07-16 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
    Further to this thread ...

The thread linked above diverged into disinfection of water tanks, which was also useful. I had previously used Milton tablets for this, but I may have found a cheaper and more powerful alternative. I have bought some "mini" stabilised chlorine tablets meant for spa pools (link). They are about the diameter of a pound coin, and twice the thickness, so will easily drop into the water tanks.

The tablets are Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate, rather than Sodium Hypochlorite. Obviously the cyanide (CN) aspect is a bit of a concern, but the Wikipedia article says "... As a disinfectant, it is used to sterilize drinking water, swimming pools, tableware and air, fight against infectious diseases as routine disinfection...".

The dosing instructions say one tablet will raise the free chlorine level by 1ppm (1mg/l) in 1000l of water. For my 240 and 350 litre tanks this is ideal for an initial shock, but too strong for continuous use where 0.5ppm is more appropriate. More information at WHO Food Additives. I generally drink bottled water (as it is cold), but use tap water for coffee. I think I may have to use the bottled water for all consumption if I adopt this regime.

Any thoughts, especially from chemists named Vic?
    No problems. It's a substituted cyanurate, not a cyanide

Widely used as a convenient and stable source of chlorine for water sterilisation, tank cleaning etc

Use at the dose rates recommended.

Main hazard seems to be release of chlorine gas on contact with acid ... but that applies to hypochlorites too.

Excellent, thanks Vic.

Interesting.

I have tried these before and while they may well have done the job, the water still had a smell to it after being left a week. With pretty large tanks the cost is also a factor, as I tend to fill the full 300 gallons and then run it down until nearly empty.

Following on from the last thread I have just tried Elsil (one bottle treats 300 gallons at around 9 a bottle) and so far the results have been remarkably better and it appears a great deal more effective - well at least in preventing any smell from the water at all. At the moment the water was treated two weeks ago, so will see in another couple of weeks.

Describe the smell, the taste. Swill it around the mouth and spit it out.
    Blow wind, rise storm,
    Ship ashore before dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    Interesting.

I have tried these before and while they may well have done the job, the water still had a smell to it after being left a week. With pretty large tanks the cost is also a factor, as I tend to fill the full 300 gallons and then run it down until nearly empty.

Following on from the last thread I have just tried Elsil (one bottle treats 300 gallons at around 9 a bottle) and so far the results have been remarkably better and it appears a great deal more effective - well at least in preventing any smell from the water at all. At the moment the water was treated two weeks ago, so will see in another couple of weeks.
    Because NaDCC is, like hypochlorite, just a source of chlorine there is a similar potential for a lingering chlorine taste if one is a little heavy handed with it.

I use Milton for a small tank and have learned that it is easy to overdose and have unpleasant tasting tea as a result! I now measure the volume of Milton I use carefully.

Elsil is I believe hydrogen peroxide based. Obviously there is no potential for any taste changes or residual smell but I have always understood it to be a less effective sterilising agent than chlorine although presumably enhanced by combination with traces of silver.

Me;North County Dublin,Boat: Malahide Marina, County Dublin

You can also find discussions on these products on the home brew forums.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast