Page 1 of 71 1234561151 ... LastLast

Default Buckingham 20 restoration, formerly Plant Pot

we found this wee cruiser on the good old fleabay,We were after a bigger boat but at the 150 this cost towards what we was looking at spending we got this, good thing is its only 9 miles from home where we could of done work on it......but nah, not go into details i would be quicker to get it done at home. Wont get meithered as much, ( land owner )
    Its in a sorry state as are all my boats i get, not all get finished by me but its good to get them a new life than leave them sat in yards or fields etc. This is a Buckingham 20, as said a bit small for what we wanted and for some reason i went to have a look at it and found it good for what we needed, somewhere to sleep, cook and well you know. Got god deck space asell for Ziggy, well jsut enough unless she dont stop growing otherwise we will have to get her on dinghy to pull behind lol.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...psoebvgd26.jpg

It is as near a shell as you can get, well as soon as i rip out the bit thats left, Its has good room for a 20 footer, i have had a few in the past but this is set out well.

The plan is to get it home asap and get stuck in, we did want to get it on the water straight away with just the hull and engine done then go from there buta s said, its coming home to get done, and more than just that, I dont mind roughing it on the boat, just like camping but as it will be home mite aswel;l get as much done as poss. I am in the process of sorting transport, i dont have a trailer or car to pull it now so i am looking on Uship for a full job or a trailer to buy, i have a local framer that can lift iot on for me at this then which will be easier than dragging it on a trailer. Will cost more to move the boat than buy it, as always with these type of project boats.

Once home we have decided to strat from the top and work down, so top deck fettled and painted then fit windows, i cant decide what to do windows wise yet, either just rubber with perspex, or maybe make some wooden ones again a si did with my old Creighton, they looked good but that was a bigger boat and the wood looked good on it, not sure if it will on this boat.

So this is the new boat to set us off again, just happy to be back boating, even if not on the water yet.
    Last edited by Forum Admin Team; 19-09-16 at 10:06. Reason: Edit title at OPs request

Default Re: The plant pot

Welcome to the forum. I recognise that heap. You're certifiable but do carry on and scare a few members.

Hey there kida good morning, Seeing this I hope it makes boaters look after there boats....unless they want a garden ornament

And I thought of a new name for it, well you have ` Certifiable ` lol

That looks like a big project to me but good luck and well done for taking it on

Dennis

good to see a boat getting a second chance at life, best of luck with it.

Go for it ! With a bit of work on the wood, a couple of cans of decent B&Q outdoor paint, and you will be away boating.

Keep us up to date with pics to encourage yourself.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Well folks, i must admit i started this near 18 month ago and it has come on a bit, yep i love a bit of DIY and to rescue old things.
    I have looked back when i first got it as at times i have lost motivation trying to refurb this and work etc etc now it is an obsession.

I have plenty of pics and will and them and info of what has been up to now every day or so.

On way home

And home

By time i had ripped it out, well nothing much left, as expected really.

So tonight i got some more ripped out, the transom beam was softer than i would of liked so its come out. and along with the the remains of the last work that was dome some years ago by god knows who since the early 70s. I am sure there cant be much else to remove......should i of said that !!!

[

Last night i got giddy and had a look at the main damage on the bow, i cut back to get to good GRP, tapered the edges a good 25mm back on the inner edge to lay up against. Then i looked at the lower hole where the bow eye went, it was also bad so i cut that bakc but left the middle area as is, this was good and solid so i will fit the new bow eye through there to the inner batten.

Ended up a fair old hole hey.

And hole number 2

I made a template for the CSM to get the correct shape, which didnt go to well in the end, i will explain later

g3uv7XY.jpg

Hole 2 cut out and then i cut the CSM to fit. with the use of the template

I used a cereal packet to get the shape i need of th bow, it all i had, id did the job but at the corners of the hole the card would not sit tight against the hull so i came up with this idea to use spray can caps and a couple of battery terminal caps to hold them back with the help of some insulation tape i had, yes not very organised was i. it workd but a bit to much as one corner was pushed in a little to much so will need filling out a little, the top left of the repair.

On the inside

Now what i did forget was the gel coat, no big deal really but i had so i wanted to use it. In the end i used 4 laminations of 450grm CSM then 4 of 300grm woven bandage then again 2 of the 450grm CSM, from the inside you can see its still a little thinner on the top left corner, think i will add a little more to make sure but there will be a large batten going in the bow and laminated in.

After it dried as of tonight

I did forget to say i added a little PVA blue to the inner card face to help release it before i laid up. This is how it loks after we soaked the card and peeled the card off, great stuff PVA.

Dont look to bad and it near all followed the contour of the bow but for the corner as said is a little indented. easy fill out though.

dOrLh4x.jpg

As it was my irst time with this type of repair i am happy with it, it should be strong enough aswell...i hope.

We have started to sand it down bit by bit, hate this job as much as ripping out, but it has to be done, T has a week off soon so she will get a bit done i hope. i will do the underside below first chine, i really need to invest in some good masks for us, ones i have are rubbish, and when you where glasses they steam up when you breath so then you cant see lol.

Next thing is the get some timber for the keel and bearers, think i will go with just Pine. I was thinking cement for the keel, thought it was a good idea as it will be a little ballast aswell and non rot.

so there we have it, bit more done.

I can only say that I greatly admire you for taking this on and for the progress you have already made. It is lovely to see someone as you say caring for old things and trying to bring them back to life

Dennis

I do like to see good solid repairs ! You know hat you are doing, clearly.

I'm sure she will turn out to be a credit to you. Keep posting the pics !
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Page 1 of 71 1234561151 ... LastLast