Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast

Default Re: The plant pot

This is amazing! Take a bow waynes world!. I've just stumbled into this thread for the first time and read it from the beginning and I'm astonished at such a fantastic project which is bringing new life to an old Buckingham. Tilly (!) is going to be a great new boat for its owners. I'll check in daily from now on.

A few thoughts. First you need to plead with the mods to change the thread title. Hardly anyone is seeing this. Loads of people on here have built boats and a guy called Vas has done an awesome rebuild of a boat in Greece, all written up with pictures. He'd love this. But hardly anyone is clicking on the thread because of its title. The title needs to say what the thread contains then you will get loads more input. ("Plant pot" makes sense AFTER you have read the thread but it doesn't encourage anyone to come into the thread in the first place).

The new transom- is it 20 inches high? From keel to the edge where the engine will hang, I mean

Keep us updated on your shopping list. Make it a bit more long range not just what you have on your list for the next few weeks. I've built loads of boats for fun and have loads of spare fittings and parts, many brand new. If any of them fit your project I'd be happy to post to you foc because I'd much rather they got used than sat in boxes. I might have some led interior lights left. Anchor maybe. From the Accrington brick (I think) on your house I'm guessing you are Liverpool area, or NW at least. Donkeys years ago I built boats up there, diy not as a business. Used to shop at Glasplies in southport.

Great story. Loving it and keen to see next instalment.
    Last edited by jfm; 16-09-16 at 20:29.

I too have just found this thread, and really enjoyed it. Great progress with an incredible project. Looking forward to future updates.

Just got to this thread. Wow Wayne!! Ambition matched by the ability to pull it off. Respect unlimited! Pity we can't vote for folks like you. Looking forward to the launch event.., bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    This is amazing! Take a bow waynes world!. I've just stumbled into this thread for the first time and read it from the beginning and I'm astonished at such a fantastic project which is bringing new life to an old Buckingham. Tilly (!) is going to be a great new boat for its owners. I'll check in daily from now on.

A few thoughts. First you need to plead with the mods to change the thread title. Hardly anyone is seeing this. Loads of people on here have built boats and a guy called Vas has done an awesome rebuild of a boat in Greece, all written up with pictures. He'd love this. But hardly anyone is clicking on the thread because of its title. The title needs to say what the thread contains then you will get loads more input. ("Plant pot" makes sense AFTER you have read the thread but it doesn't encourage anyone to come into the thread in the first place).

The new transom- is it 20 inches high? From keel to the edge where the engine will hang, I mean

Keep us updated on your shopping list. Make it a bit more long range not just what you have on your list for the next few weeks. I've built loads of boats for fun and have loads of spare fittings and parts, many brand new. If any of them fit your project I'd be happy to post to you foc because I'd much rather they got used than sat in boxes. I might have some led interior lights left. Anchor maybe. From the Accrington brick (I think) on your house I'm guessing you are Liverpool area, or NW at least. Donkeys years ago I built boats up there, diy not as a business. Used to shop at Glasplies in southport.

Great story. Loving it and keen to see next instalment.
    Thank you for the comments, i like to make blogs on my projects, it a way to keep me motivated as then i can look back when the going gets tough to see i am actually getting somewhere, you may well know these things feel like things are getting know where fast but then you realise they are.

Oh and the transom, it is 20" from top to the bottom point of the hull, not the keel which i was to believe this is the way to measure it. I hope to god i havnt messed up there if i have to lower the hang point as the bottom of the keel is around 8" lower than the transom point.

I like you eye for detail.....bricks on the house lol, i am North Manchester area, infact i think they are Great Lever Brick, very much the same as Acc`y bricks. i got a few thousand of the Great Lever bricks of a chap for free and built the garden wall and con`y with them. I love a bargain
    I havnt yet used Glasplies, there is a more local place up here in Warrington that i pop over to, they do just matting and resin plus a few consumables. http://grpukltd.com/.

Thank you for the offer of help, all is welcome, the shopping list is endless, good to know fol are willing to to do this. I have offered to help folk on there boats in the past but in the end they have gave up on the boat when things got tough. I do understand though as these projects test folk.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    I too have just found this thread, and really enjoyed it. Great progress with an incredible project. Looking forward to future updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemanracer View Post
    Just got to this thread. Wow Wayne!! Ambition matched by the ability to pull it off. Respect unlimited! Pity we can't vote for folks like you. Looking forward to the launch event.., bring it on!
    Thanks guys, hope you enjoy as much as me, well more as this is a test of my patience at times.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    fantastic thread, and i thought i had a lot of energy ....
    I used to have a lot of energy.......this is draining me quickly lol, but i will recharge when it is done.

Now bits that have been done, there was a few spiders on the bow which i ground back and filled with a good GRP filler. it is on the tread area which will be either all oxide painted or tread stuck on.

all ground back with a flexi disc

filled and good now, also there was a few screws i forgot about that had rusted through.

Another job was to finish canopy, only trouble with doing it this way is to get a good finish, but a smooth filler and its a matter of fill, sand, fill sand untill your happy with it, and as always i want it perfect so take darn ages.

primed, it is amazing how much a little paint shows up defects, but it is ok. bit more to fill then refit the canopy for now.

Ah but before i fitted the canopy back on the screen i primed that to see where that needs a fettle, not to bad but that is todays job. Looking better now all the same colour

chuffed with the finish now

One thing i need is grab rials for the canopy top, i didnt want to add more stainless steel ones as this will give more draft, and for now i want to keep as low as possible, and as there is no wood but for the rubbing strake i though this mite help out a little. I used the same Sapele as i do ike it and will be coated with Danish clear oil.

These pics are all over the place sorry but i sorted the rails out, all welded up now just need to polish back up the welds. but all fit as should, shame a bout the port side rails, the mounts are not inline, and these are built in into the boat and to resett them will be a BIG job so i just put kink in the port rail, not happy with this but i will put up with it. You cant see it much really, although in the pic you can see it.

This was while i was tacking the feet on

I sat the feet on the nuts to keep it off the GRP so a snot to burn the boat just yet.

Starboard side fitted

There is a bigger job i was wanting to do this weekend and that was to replace the rear deck, i ordered the Marine ply on thursday for delivery, well the place i get it from is less than a mile up the road and they had to get it from there other depot 15 mile away, well they collected it yesterday but didt drop it off and they were passing my house to get to there depot. I could of got it myself if i knew they were not dropping it off. annoying.

So a few bits done and now off to fill and make good the screen.........neeeeeeeds to be nice

happy boating

Well as member JFM suggested, if anybody has any items for sale i have a shopping list here which i will add to the end of the update post, i will change as i go and alter to what i have got or need as i remember or think of.

It will need an engine but that will not be needed for a while as no funds as yet for one.

GRP Paint, White top side and hull Dark Blue, not antifoul though please.
    SS Bow bollard
    Two SS cleats for the stern.
    SS Bow roller
    LED lights, Internal berth and down light and external for rear deck.
    LED Heads light
    Solar Vent
    Galley sink
    Head sink
    Main Water pump
    Bilge pumps
    LPG Morco water heater or similar
    SS Horn
    Navigation lights
    Anchor 8kg
    Trailer rollers keel and sides

i am sure there is more

so if anybody has anything knocking about give me a shout please.

Wayne

What a wonderful restoration project Wayne - thank you for taking the time to document it all so comprehensively.

It is definitely on par with Vas' epic on-going restoration / re-build of his Mystere 43' -

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...raft-Mystery43
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    But hardly anyone is clicking on the thread because of its title. The title needs to say what the thread contains then you will get loads more input.
    You're probably right but I love the title - it just suits the thread & the writing style so well!

Again; great thread WW. Still my favourite - Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    What a wonderful restoration project Wayne - thank you for taking the time to document it all so comprehensively.

It is definitely on par with Vas' epic on-going restoration / re-build of his Mystere 43' -

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...raft-Mystery43
    I wish, that is well under par ( as in better, golf term ) where i would say mine is level , not sure the neighbours would be impressed with a boat that big at the side of my house, although they like watching this one be reborn.

I am still trying to find a Mod to change the title, bare with

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrs View Post
    You're probably right but I love the title - it just suits the thread & the writing style so well!

Again; great thread WW. Still my favourite - Keep up the good work.
    Over 10,000 views so it's not doing bad as a title

Good stuff. I've definitely got some stuff on your list - I am away from my store room till the weekend so I'll get back to you after then. I think I have LED lights, some ss cleats and deck fittings, anchor - but let me have a rummage and check.

Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast