Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Default Re: The plant pot

As i am soooo chuffed with the widows i thought i would show them before even finished. It was well worth the 415 mile round trip to collect them the weekend gone, I didnt want rubber sealed windows .and to make a set from wood would be to long a job and costly, done that before and they looked good but not cheap, dont forget this is a budget build,
    I found these by chance on ebay and i was faffing to measure up if they would fit as there was on 10 mins left in the auction with no bids. Well the auction ended with no bids and i found they could fit, so i called the chap and said i would have them.

As you can see they are completely different fro the others that would of been fitted but aluminium frame and most glassed in glass and one in perspex which will be replaced.

four side windows

And we have windows, opening ally ones aswell ))

The original openings were not very straight and some bigger than than needed and some smaller so a fettle was needed, also shape different etc etc, i got them to fit by just filling in the gaps as i did for the bow repair. When i cut out the up rights the cabin top dropped a little so i just used my claps to support whilst the new area were added.

Now a bit i was worried about, the cabin has a curve to it as you can see here, and the windows dont,

Now i could of fitted them flat but then the gunwales would of been a few inch narrower and not good with loosing walk area on there so i though i would risk it and see if i could bend the frames WITH glass in place.

Roughly in place and ready ti fill the gaps.

Here you can see how the frames followed the curve of the cabin.

Still the front had to be filled and then the frame could be screwed back further.

And filled in with windows in.

All screwed back, temp as they will be fitted soon with silicone and grease one side so i can remove them once the new floor bearers are fitted along with the floor.

So i am halfway through the other side, i wasnt going to use the rear window but move the port hole for the head/loo, now it will be the same as this side but the head window will be further back by 6 inch or so. still the same really, but frozed over to keep eyes out .

hope you like, i am chuffed, may yet shatter the glass if the shell flexs on lifting, i dont know,

You are proceeding at an excellent speed and your ability to make things fit and usable is amazing. I am enjoying reading this thread and to see such an old boat coming back to life is a real pleasure, most people would have thought this boat was simply for the junk yard

Can I ask what your normal profession or work you do is as I am thinking it must be something with fiberglass or some other work associated with restoration

Very well done

Dennis
    Last edited by Bigplumbs; 27-07-16 at 05:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    You are proceeding at an excellent speed and your ability to make things fit and usable is amazing. I am enjoying reading this thread and to see such an old boat coming back to life is a real pleasure, most people would have thought this boat was simply for the junk yard

Can I ask what your normal profession or work you do is as I am thinking it must be something with fiberglass or some other work associated with restoration

Very well done

Dennis
    Hi Dennis, not as quick as you would think A few folk dont understand why i do these things, For one i get a boat i know and as near as new as i can get and in good condition, i could of bought a boat for £4k and it would still be damp dodgy and in need of work. More though is the joy in doing it and see the transformation. Yes it cost a lot but i cant save as things always come up, so i spend it on the boat asap lol.

Yes i dont mind you asking what i do, just a van driver fro a living, but i love projects as you can see, i have had a few boats but none that have needed this kind of work. I think over the years i have never been well off and had much new or newish in anything so what i cant buy out right i make and tech myself, what can go wrong

Always fancied making small GRP and wood boats, one day maybe if i find a good mould.

Appreciate the comments Dennis

Hi all, sorry not much of an update, i have been waiting for seals to arrive for the frames and trying to decide where to go with the next step, i was going to get all windows fitted, disaster was found with the front two, tell later the new way for them, then sort the bulkhead,

Anyway, we have been cleaning up the frames, they are in good fettle but for the seals, we got all fut new set, sliders, stops, etc etc, should be like new when finished. They had a coat of lacquer on which need to be sanded off first, hardest part, takes longer to clean that back than to polish the frames back up. I got a small buffer kit to help makes things easier, my hands and elbows are not what they used to be so this was great for buffing up.

Pics dont show how good they are, infact better than i wanted as you can see your face in them They need a few coats of lacquer yet.

Good bit, all the screws came out, i only removed the bottom frame edges to get the glass out and then seals.

These P seals were a pain, i could find a container long enough and narrow enough to git them an Acetone bath, i made a bath from tin foil but it was cheap stuff and punctured to easy. In the end i just used a small syringe and poured aetone over the rubber to weaken it, after a minute it came out easy.

For the sliders i found it both hard and expensive to get the original type so instead i got a flat felt and this pushed into the channel, works a treat aswell. I got it oversized so once inplace i can trim it down to fit in situ.

The other seals, the P seal as well as the square U profile for the fixed window, i still need another seal for the middle edge as it is very narrow, only 6mm wide with 4mm glass to fit, i am going to look for a felt from maybe Hobby Craft to se what they have, be best to get some rubber but i am finidng difficult to get some 1-1.25mm thick.
    You will se ein this pic that the lower felt/slider is in section, this is for the drain gaps in the frame.

And together but not fixed, a few of the frame brackets broke so i will be makjng some new ones, and lucky a sis i have a tap to thread the 3mm ally i have.

BHJO9lg.jpg

Still have the other two larger frames to do, hope to get them done tomorrow, bit tired at the minute and its carboot day tomorrow, so we will see.
    Oh and today i got some wood 25mmx47mm ,for the inner frame that will be bolted with the stainless bolts through to the frames. These will be used with T nuts to get a flush fit on the inside then wood frame will be capped off with a nice hardwood to cover the T nuts.

Another thing i had a go at was the hatch, being like i am i just try to make things or make do, i would love a Houdini but nah, not at the prices they got go even second hand around £90, there for i made this, i could of used a caravan type but all to small as this hatch is 520mm square.
    For this i used some 75mm insulation board, same a si will be for the bearers and inner keel i think.

Cut to shape then sanded to shape

This is coated with a layer of resin,

Now i have no pics of the rest of this as it went wrong in a way, i was talking to the chap i get my GRP supplies from and he said i was not adding enough catalyst, should be min 1% so 10cc per litre, which i was as always, now it was going off fine as always, but on my little measuring jug it was showing 5cc, now i questiond myself here. What i found was that when i added 10cc as it should be while doing this top it gelled within 5 mins after mixing. I wasnt happy as it made a right old mess of the hatch. Well when i looked closer at the measuring jug for the catalyst i was correct in what i was adding but the jug had a small sticker for the guide marks, this had moved/come unstuck so i could of added around 15+ cc of catalyst. I poured 2 coats of topcoat on and i will sand back to et a better finish and i will update that as and when i get around to it, it does fit ok just needs smoothing off.

ill be back )

Had another situation, i made a bracket as in the pics below but the tap i had was from a cheap kit i got years ago, as much use as a boat with the sea cock missing. I got 2 holes tapped then it twisted and snapped. So a hunt around on a sunday afternoon to find a 4x0.75 tap, no joy but i got a light socket tap, the type electricians use the clean the backplate socket threads. Only a 4x 0.5 thread i think but it started the thread and then i could cut the new thread with the cwres i had off the frame. easy as the frames are ally.

I just need an bike inner tube to make the last seal, an idea a chap gave me for the thin 1-1.5mm thick rubber thats needed.

Windows are now refurbed and sat in place but not sealed in, still need to make the inner frames which i hope to get done this weekend. I have made the lower bulkhead and ready to be laminated in place once the windows are in, and for the front i am going to wait to see what turns up as i would like a set of ready made all ones, if not i will make my own.

This weekends work n the boat didnt exactly go plan, but getting there. Plan was to get the side windows fitted but we had trouble working out why the glass would not sit properly in the frame of the larger window. In th end we found it was the glass that had been made for it, either from when the frames were actually made of a mess up from replacments. Anyway to keep the high spirits we decided to fit the smaller galley window first complete with inner frame and all sealed up. These are easier to fit for some reason.
    For the inner frames i have used soft wood as they will be capped off with Sapele to cover the T nuts and give a nice finish with Danish oil.

Inner frames were used to help give a better seal and strengthen all up more, better than bolting to just the cabin sides.

On the inner side i used T nuts, saves on sinking in nuts etc and works well, i have used them on a lot of things and think they are great for this.

bottom rail ready to be fitted.

Inside,

Now once all the frames were done i had to get the seals ready, this was to bo neoprene strip fitted with water proof 2k contact adhesive on the frame, then silicone from there to the cabin aperture to fill any imperfections, the silicone i used is a type that will come apart easy if ever the frames need to be removed. lets hope not.

All set in place and sealed and drying, i was wondering this mornig if we could get ant done with the weather but it turned out a great day.

So another three to go, one still has to be cleaned and resealed but hope all will be done this week, weather and sanity permitting.Have to say i ma chuffed with the out come, they have taken some doing as a few on the frame brackets broke as they are ally as the frames and a slight bend when pulling the frames apart they snap so i have to make new ones.Not a big job but one more we don t want.

Still not come by any front windows so once these side one are fitted i will gaffer up the front to get water tight so the bulkhead can be done along with floor.

Feels good to have one window fitted )))

I sooooo love a bargain, got two Houdini`s. both are in good nick, seals seem to bad either,. I was hoping they would fit the front jsut a bit to big though to look right, i was going to remove the bars as its looks like a prison cell. So change of plan to use one for what they are made, the hatch, and i will sell the other to get back what i paid for them.
    Always wanted a Houdini but they are so bloody expensive, i now have two lol.

You cans see what they are like in the pics, the hatch aperture needs a fettle for one to fit but no big deal.

Now what i have worked on today for a few hours, the Houdini hatch needs a new mount a sit a little bigger and more rounded on the corners than the original hatch aperture.
    I had some off cuts of insulation board to make the mould for a new housing for it. I stuck the bits together with resin and then carved and sanded to shape.

Then it was into the cony to laminate it all up, we have removed the carpet to day which as lucky to get the work space, it was trying to rain now and then and i needed a dry work space, this will do nicely.

Again i used three laminations of 450grm to get a good strong 5-6mm thick cross section. I didnt use any flowcoat just gav eit a good sand down and its not to bad.

Then after an hour i trimmed back and removed the foam.

I over trimmed the corners but no problem as i can amend that once fitted., all it needed was a sand back to good and hey ho

As you can see i think, it is a bit bigger and of shape the the old one, easy enough to fit, just trim back to mathc the cabin profile then cut back the inner area which is stick out then laminate inplace on the inner side and fill the outer corner to make good.

Will be great when done, i am confident...well some body has to be lol.

Well the other day i laminated the hatch in place with the usual 450grm CSM and a strip of 300grm woven bandage.

I did have pics of the way i cut it out but cant find them, not hard to understand as i just drawn around the hatch and used my grinder with a slitting disc and also a flap disc to finish off.

I stuffed the filler in and around the lower edge to fill and beef up the housing, then jsut sanded back a bit before i use the finishign filler to get a better finish although it is not bead as is. from the bus stop lol.
    I needed a radiused sanding block but didnt have one so i found an old fishing rod but which is corked so i cut a section off to make one, see never throw anythign out worked a treat.

Sanded back ready for the finishing filler now, oh and then seal the hatch itself once primed.

KODNLZD.jpg
    So if its nice tomorrow i will finish this off and then at night rebuild the other two windows as fit during the week. I have the front two windows on there way and should be here by the end of the week, chuffed as they match the hatch design. Not sure if the side windows will look better not polished now and dull them somehow to have the same finish as the hatch, or polish the hatch to match.

we will see, i could leave them to there own way and dull in time.

Off to the shop for a bottle of Bow now, well deserved i think
    Attached Images Attached Images

It certainly is well deserved. I also agree with your comment never throw anything away. Excellent work once again and I am enjoying this thread immensely. Who needs to read about someone's £2 million boat purchase when you can see this excellent work.

Dennis

Been a while since an update and i have got a bit done, not much though, and to be honest i am not all that happy with the finished window situation. Just the way they look thats all.
    I would of had things done quicker if not for being stopped by folk folk gabbing to me whilst i was working on the boat. They show interest and all but by eck it holds me back, only trouble with having the boat at home where all can see.

To start we resealed all the side windows again and fitted them, all good, two leaks but that was easy sorted as it just needs a little silicone adding in the lower corners. Good stuff this time, a polymer type, only down side is it skins over fast, in minutes.

I got some windows for the front of ebay again, good deal a si sold one of the houdini hatchs and got the two front ones smile.png
    For this i had to make new housings again as i did for th hatch, reason i had to do it this way is that the front is curved or i could of used a flat sheet of GRP.

Stages

foam sheet again i got free from a local suppliers, damaged off cut of 6x2 x 50mm

cut to fit the opening

decide where to have the new window

as you can see here the curve needed and flat area for the window, these will not bend like the side windows did

then to sand back to the markings, carefully as the foam can break off if you dont clean the sand paper now and then.

trial fit

Two layers of 450grm for now as once fitted there will be another three to fit inplace to get a good strong frame.

cut back to where the foam was, it leaves a nice mark to see where to cut back to, then fine it up when fitting in the old aperture.

I didnt get any pics of the next step but i used 4 wooden blocks around the frame edges to keep the housing in place so i can work from the inside, screwed to the cabin and housing that is. easy fill the hole later. Another bit i didnt get pics of was the filling on the outside but as said the same as the hatch was done.

The frame have been polished up the same as the side windows not that you can see it in the pics.

And today we got all windows sorted

Now as said i am not overall happy with the looks of it, but it will have to do, mite look better once all painted and it will grow on me.

I like the look looks sort of mean. When painted in I think it will look very good

Dennis

It look better now Dennis, but you will have to wait a bit while i get to the stage to show you mean while

I dont know what i was contemplating with this keel malarky, an afternoon and its done, not fixed in place as i am knackered now and its late, but its made and ready for the cascamite and laminating in.

Oh and a cidre and snack, i need my treast on shopping day

Not a clue where the pics have gone but used what i had to hand to shape the timber to the pain of a shape is was, something like bloody 4 dimensional i think lol.
    My circular saw and elecy planer, sods law the belt snapped on the last few shaves so had to finish with a flap disc sander.

All i need to do now is try to find a way to dry it all out and clean up all the surfaces to stick inplace with the Cascamite then dry before i laminate, the rear deck inner keel has to be made but thats just a length of 3x2 that goes through the lower bulkhead section and joins to the front length.
    I wil sort it when i can asap, we have a week off week after next as we are off for a long weekend down wales then rest of the week off to play out
    Sanding and bearers etc i hop will get done, maybe even the floor.

Lets not get carried away though, all done in good time i hope.

The front and rear section were only 6 foot each so i will have to scarf joint them.

I used used 3x2 for the rear keel and made a slot for when water gets in it gets to both sides of the keel to pump out.

It goes through the bulkhead and is glued with Purocol Express then laminated in place with the front keel.

The rear bearers are not yet fitted in place but the front are fixed with resin for now, i have ran out of CSM, gutted

For the water to get around the rear keel, saves on two bilge pumps
    Dont worry the laminating is good, it was filled of water before i took these pics for you, all the white patchs is the sanding dust, i will be glad when its all done, but loads more to come.

And joined the two keels together solid.

I coated the bearers before i stuck them down with a coat of the laminating resin to help keep water tight. As said i am out of CSM and will be shopping this week end i hope for some more aswell as the plywood for the floor/rear deck, engine well and transom, so loooaads to come to do.

Now what i have done is leave this hole in the bow which is now near level with the keel so when i need to wash the inside donw from dust its easier than brushing it all up.

As there is no more building work to do me and T got on with sanding, got a fair bit done in the last few days,once again i hate sanding soooooo bad i just want to get it done, after 6 hours today doing i hav ehad enough and buzzing all over aswell as aching so bad, got bad fingers and elbows as it is , BUT no pain no gain )

I am not ashamed to say when i got under the boat i found all this i wish i didnt get it, but after a few minutes i seen the light once again, everything is fixable and easy so soldier on i did

There has been a lot of patch work done in the past above and below the water line, looks ok but sits proud. This is just a few of the mnay patchs that have been done over the years

A few crazed areas cleaned back to find the original gel coat had come loose on a big scale, i think from impact damage but from the inside by looks, the laminates are fine though thank goodness.

On the top side i removed the pulpit rial as it needs a good one, i will be building one from plumbers copper and then taking to a stainless fab shop to get it made up, with a nice hardwood slat seat built in on the bow, and to help as a foot steady to haul anchor

You will see in the first of these outer pics the back end is very close to the wall so we are unable to get in the sand etc, also you will see i have added new supports to thee cross beams, the idea is to get some 4-5 inch thick round fence posts and sit the cross beams on these so then we can push the boat over to the other side of the drive to work the other side....easy

I will not be fixing the hull below the first chine, maybe clean it back, but above will be a done soon i hope as soon as the rear deck and transom is done so then we are going to prime it all at least before winter so then i can do work on the inside, then next spring/summer finish the hull before launch time..........launch time, by eck that sounds a long way off if at all.

I think that is all to update, Its good to loom at this it really doesnt seem to change much when you see it on the drive everyday.

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast