Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Default Re: The plant pot

Not to rush a job i have done a wee bit and the rest tomorrow, which will be to laminate it in.

I didnt get any pics of the resin filler i used to laminate the ply to the transom skin, i am set of getting it done as resin sets in minutes, i just mixed a resin and powder filler to a concistancey it would just hold and not run. we added it to the top batten to bond to the sanded and cleaned corners, screwed up tight and then screwed tight back with battens until it just squeezed out.

This was before i started to faff with fitting the ply transom,.the perspex came away a treat, just soaked again and left for 20 mins and it peeled of easy.

MMmm i seem to of lost some pics, but i marked out for the engine well and cut out with the adaption i made for the drill, this time i used a cutting disc, worked a treat, also used it for sanding again, no choice as still no grinder.

A couple of cuts and a plunge and the ply was done.

In situ

To help it to pull tight i used battens screwed through, here you can see how nice and smooth and shiny the new GRP is with the reflection in the new GRP. .

So all done and setting, its will not far be set after an hour but as said, no rush, tomorrow i will remove the battens and clean back the over sill and laminate the inside and resin the edges ready for the edging to go on, if i can i will use a plastic guttering for a mould to get a nice smooth, if not then i will see.

Today i was all set for getting the transom laminated in place and trimmed and then get on with the engine well, but nope, still though happy with where i am with it, it got a back end now And by eck it is solid, i am sure it take a 30hp out board if i wanted to.

Sorry but the pics dont show much of what has been done as its mainly laminating, but a few steps of how i got there.

First thing this morning i removed the battens. And i was well chuffed with the strength eve with out the laminating to be done.

The filler i used sets like so hard i couldnt get this excess i missed, no bother as its not in the way,

The better side i cleaned back a little before it set.

Before laminating the inside of the transom i need to add a bit of a fillet into the top corner, this is for the CSM to follow better, CSM does not go well into sharp corners, i used again the filler to do with the help of a borrow of a spoon fromn the kitchen, yes T caught me aswell lol

The filler is basic resin with the addition of very fine glass powder, all you do is add the powder untill you get the consistency you want.

Then slap it on

Next step was to laminate, easy......until you are half way through and first your roller decides to fall apart, so you work a bit quicker with the brush, then that decides to loose all it bristles in the resin
    No panic, shoot off down to the bargain shop for a new set, i should of kept with the ones i know are safe with resin, trouble is they are only 2.5inch briush`s, when on a job this big you need either a big brush 4 inch, or better a roller to apply the resin.

I got back with the small brush`s with the last two laminations to do, i did three over the whole area and 2 more along the edge to make sure.

As said cant see much in the pics but its there and setting.

I cleaned back and here you can see where i add the fillet for the CSM

While that was setting i was set to make the trim for the top.

The cross section is 4x3x2.5, i have been trying to find a length of guttering or down pipe but unable to find one of a size to use or cut down, I was then going to use the perspex and make ny own channel, nah to much faffing when its not really a structural part, here i need to blend the section in to the gunwale corners

For this a chamfer back

As far as i got was to make the sheet of GRP i need to get the lengths out, three 450grm for this, then they will be bedded down on more resin filler, you will see when i get back on it tommorrow

I am leaving this to set for 24hrs, or until i get home after work tomorrow, it will be good enough to cut into lengths then.

As that was setting i wanted to look at the engine well and what i can do, yes i do a si got most the time. I still have the old engine well here and the idea was to use that, or what was left of it, very little actually.

I decided by the time i had cut and shut it to fit, then patch up i mite aswell make a new one, maybe use the base still, that is a sfar as i got, was a bit tired and hungry and had to tale Zig out for a change.

Not all to sure if to use ply and laminate over or use GRP sheets to make the engine well, i will sleep on it like i do and decide later, either way it will do the job.

So update on this wee project. It is now actually feeling like I am getting somewhere. please bear with me as I am doing all this on my phone.
    The transom is finished and trimmed off now . Just made a grp sheet and fixed it in place with bridge filler.

Also the deckis cut resined and ready to fit one the engine well is done.. this week I am laminating the engine well ready to go in this weekend. Subject to weather.
    Oh yes you can see that it has the rear bearers and side batteries in now.
    Well would you believe it I have worked out how to get pic's on here off my phone. Still not got a lwith as I am doing all this on my phoneptop

So update on this wee project. It is now actually feeling like I am getting somewhere. please bear with me as I am doing all this on my phone.
    The transom is finished and trimmed off now . Just made a grp sheet and fixed it in place with bridge filler.

Also the deck is cut resined and ready to fit one the engine well is done.. this week I am laminating the engine well ready to go in this weekend. Subject to weather.
    Oh yes you can see that it has the rear bearers and side batteries in now.

Stunned with your rate of progress. Talk about Fast & Furious !!!

My new favourite thread, please don't stop posting pictures. Your work rate is phenomenal!

Wow. Brilliant work. I'm fighting the temptation to search the web for the finished project but will just wait for the updates.

Well done.

Simply amazing, very well done, this is one of the moat interesting threads for ages. Thanks for taking the time to keep it so updated, I am amazed you have the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Third mate View Post
    Stunned with your rate of progress. Talk about Fast & Furious !!!
    It did slow once winter hit as i needed to do some more GRP work and i dont like to do it in freezing temps so that held me back a lot, and then painting etc etc. but still its getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Colvic Watson View Post
    My new favourite thread, please don't stop posting pictures. Your work rate is phenomenal!
    More pics coming, i wasnt sure if there would be much interest on these old clapped out boats on this forum to tell the truth, but as there is i will keep it up .

Quote Originally Posted by KevB View Post
    Wow. Brilliant work. I'm fighting the temptation to search the web for the finished project but will just wait for the updates.

Well done.
    Now that is not allowed lol, and it is under a different name anyway Not yet finished but i am close to fit out stage assoon as a big job is done which will be along soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dustywings View Post
    Simply amazing, very well done, this is one of the moat interesting threads for ages. Thanks for taking the time to keep it so updated, I am amazed you have the time!!
    Thanks for the encouragement it is needed at times, but i love it.

Now where was i

Oh and i fettled the dint in the port side, i have just pushed it out with e 3x2 and used a batten fixed in place with the resin filler and then laminated over it to push it out as good as poss, i will leave for a day or so until i will fill the outside area to make good.

Hope it holds.

And the temp shelter/canopy

I have just started to work on the head ( in the correct boaty name for the loo ) ok it looks big for a small boat, which infact it is at being 3` x 3` 4" but it is going to be a wet room and on all the cruiser i have had you can barely, one way to put it but, wipe your backside. In this head you can do that and more with ease....ooo errrr

We have worked on the interior plans so we can get a good size double that is offset to the port side with a bunk above to port above the double when needed for the third berth, only for the grandson/child so not a full 6`6" long, the galley to starboard as one unit.

I will draw a plan up of it to show give a better idea of the set out.

Just got from meeting Steve a good chap who made the tanks. Like I do I went straight out to try them out. I have to say I am over the moon with them. A perfect fit.
    Have to sat a big thank you to you again Steve. Excellent fab skills. ;-)

The tanks will connected together top and bottom with 15mm speed fit fittings and top pipe will be T'd off up the corner for a vent pipe.

Bit tired this afternoon so just tried the strakes to see if they would snap when bent around the bow. I did it with a Creighton I had and it worked without steaming the timber.
    Also done a little more sanding. What I want to do is at least get the top strakes on as inside I need to next insulate then line it but if I do I will not be able to get to the back fittings for the strake.

Oh and fixed the box eye block in. That will be good and solid when the resin filler is set and laminated over.

These updates are getting naff sorry. Little done today, to tired and not in the mood :'( yesterday I decided to paint the front deck as it will show up better where the imperfections are......wish I didn't now. Loads of small areas of tiny hole that need filling. Chuffed with the bow though,can't see the join from the repair.
    I will be back with a bit more asap, I want to laminate the far deck and locker top asap I can't see the canopy lasting all winter. Oh and deck dràins will be done. Pics not the best sorry.

Hi all, at last i have done a little bit to Wet Dreams, not been able to do a whole lot as with the weather and dam cats it has put me back a little, also my own mistake. I was going to laminate in the bow eye bolt beam first off i forgot to cover the front deck holes where the mooring bollard will be refit, there fore rain water has gone threw onto the timber so until that dries i cant do that, not the weather for things to dry to quick.
    Also CATS for god sake they do my head in, i like them but not when its like living in a cats home, had trouble in the past with them pooing all over the garden and drive, i sorted to much expense, now they have been walking on the tarp, well looks like they jumped on and then thought `eck its slippy` so claws out and they put claw holes all over the tarp and i have had to wait until the rain stopped and i could dry it before repairing it., I wasnt impressed as also after sanding the boat down it has opened some tiny pin holes from old repairs that have also let water seep through to the inside where i was going to insulate it.

So after a bad few week and recent days i have cut out the rear deck hatch and sealed all the wood with resin as usual. oh yes before that i fixed the damage in the tarp.

i think thats all in have done since the last update, and sorry no pics but i will get some asap.

Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast