Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast

Default Re: The plant pot

Hi all, at last i have done a little bit to Wet Dreams, not been able to do a whole lot as with the weather and dam cats it has put me back a little, also my own mistake. I was going to laminate in the bow eye bolt beam first off i forgot to cover the front deck holes where the mooring bollard will be refit, there fore rain water has gone threw onto the timber so until that dries i cant do that, not the weather for things to dry to quick.
    Also CATS for god sake they do my head in, i like them but not when its like living in a cats home, had trouble in the past with them pooing all over the garden and drive, i sorted to much expense, now they have been walking on the tarp, well looks like they jumped on and then thought `eck its slippy` so claws out and they put claw holes all over the tarp and i have had to wait until the rain stopped and i could dry it before repairing it., I wasnt impressed as also after sanding the boat down it has opened some tiny pin holes from old repairs that have also let water seep through to the inside where i was going to insulate it.

So after a bad few week and recent days i have cut out the rear deck hatch and sealed all the wood with resin as usual. oh yes before that i fixed the damage in the tarp.

i think thats all in have done since the last update, and sorry no pics but i will get some asap.

As always when i plan things they go **** up, i booked a week off for this week so i could finish the rear deck, as in the lockers, , rear deck drains and then onto the interior and insulation. Andy ( Cheshire Cat ) very kindly dropped off some 15mm copper pipe i needed to finish the locker drains, which i will be doing this week as the temps have gone up again from the weekend.
    What has held me back is the weather, the rain has been so bad i have found new leaks from the windows, better now though than later, this stopped me from fitting the insulation due to the water running down the inner hull, I had to cover the windows up with some of the DPM i got for the canopy, so now i will have to let it all dry out, will take weeks if not months before i can fettle them.
    So yesterday i cut the insulation ready to be stuck in place with expanding PU foam, i got this of ebay cheap aswell , i like cheap now 5 can with cleaner and gun for 28. enough to do the lot and fill gaps here and there. I have managed to get half done today, nice easy clean job with the gun, them tubes you get on the canisters along and plastic tube are murder and no good once used a little all has to be used, with the gun it can be cleaned quick with no mess and reuse the canister later on if need be.
    I held the insulation in place with short battens screwed into the inner ribs, this helps it keep level and flush for when i line it out with 4.5mm ply next. Feels good to be doing a bit again, I can honestly say i was getting a bit peeved and feel is it worth it as i hate to slack on a job, you can lose motivation.

Another thing i have been doing is debating over heating for the boat, i need to decide now as soon i will be setting out the frame work for the head and galley along with seating/berths. I just love stoves and was fitting one to my last cruiser a while back, now this one is a bit of a smaller boat but not to small for a stove aslong as it is fitted properly, years ago i spotted a Pip Squeak stove, nice looking and small and cheap, but no good control and build quality is not as good as another i was told about, a Boatman Stove, now these dont look as nice as the Pip Squeak, but a lot better built and better specs, higher max heat output, so no need to have it fully blazing to keep it toasty.
    Now then the debate, a good size cupboard/cloths storage space and boiler cupboard or a stove, i have 2sqt for the either. If i go stove then i have found that i can turn the front bow locker into clothes storage and the likes, bigger aswell and dry as that will be insulated and lined. Now where to fit the boiler, mite has a new spot but need to look a bit more into that.
    The stove will fitted on tiled area of the 2sqf and have a 15mm cavity against the lined out hull then 25mm fireboard or 25mm cavity filled with vermiculite. This will be on three sides unless i sit it on an angle. just planning it now infact. I will draw a plan up and see what you guys think.

Oh i need pics, ill be back

I have pics of the rear deck locker. All sealed with resin. Not going to rot for a long time this boat.

Its gona be cosy well best had be. near finished the insulation, just got the cabin top to do with 25mm, mite as well while i am at it hey. I was using battens to hold the sheets/sections inplace but it was to much of a faff so i invested in some adjustable props to make life easy, they do slide around a little as you get to the bow, but to keep in place i just pushed 40mm screws into the insulation to stop the feet sliding out of place.
    There are few spots here and there that need finishing, next step is to decide on the wiring, I have decided to fit the fuse box to the port side as you step down into the cabin, from there i am going to fit plastic conduit down the bulkhead to run the cable, and under the gunwale to the bow. this will then be filled over with expanding foam to hide it, there will be access points here and there and it will be a good size so in the future more cable can be run with the help of a length of heavy cable. you never know if you will want more cables, and still i will feed more spares cables down.

Once that is done it time to line it out with 5.5mm ply, but not to the gunwales as i cant fill that area until the top rubbing strake is fitted next year, only a 4 inch strip of ply.

So i keep doing bit and bobs as i can and when,
    Pics

Oh yes i got the locker drains fitted, this was a week or so back. I just sealed some 15mm copper pipe in the holes i drilled int he transom and filled with resin, a little ran out but just needs filling later, i messed up the locker seats to they need doing again, one good thing is the drains work well as i spilt a pint into one of the lockers and it ran out, wasnt happy but at least i know it works lol.

Lots to come yet, so keep watching.

I need to ask, do folk read this or just look at pics?

I need to ask, do folk read this or just look at pics?

A picture paint a thousand words, but an explanation does help ��

Enjoying reading the explanations of how you solve the problems, keep it coming

Quote Originally Posted by Colvic Watson View Post
    Enjoying reading the explanations of how you solve the problems, keep it coming
    Well said, a great thread.

I am reading the explanation as well keep it coming

Dennis

Well this is just fantastic. You are turning what was a pile of junk into what is going to be a usable boat. What has been the time frame from buying the boat to where you are. Makes me feel very lazy and useless seeing you do this work, well beyond my skills. You are wasting your talents as a driver when you can do this (meant as a compliment)

This is the best thing I've seen on this forum, loving it!

I will keep up with all the then It takes me so long at time to type things out as i need to recheck it all as my fingers are quicker than my brain lol. You may of noticed some spelling mistakes etc and a few spaces in the wrong place, but aslong as you understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelz View Post
    Well this is just fantastic. You are turning what was a pile of junk into what is going to be a usable boat. What has been the time frame from buying the boat to where you are. Makes me feel very lazy and useless seeing you do this work, well beyond my skills. You are wasting your talents as a driver when you can do this (meant as a compliment)
    Well it was at in the field until mid May last year and end of May i brought it home after a real faff with the old owner to get into the field to remove it, task in itself. And now at the stage above ( last update) it was Mid November 2015, i was cracking on well with it until the new job i also started in March 15 messed things up with giving me more hours so am/was doing 12-13 hrs days, got a bit tired to put a few hours in after work but do what i can when i can.

As with these kind of projects, unless you have room undercover from the elements and time they can be alooooong term project. Oh and loads of money, i better fill the hole in the hull soon, the money seems to be pouring through it a bit fast now lol.

If i could work for myself, or even a boat yard i would love to, i just love boats and fixing/making and designing things, driving is easy ( not that i am lazy ) and at my age at 42 it is not easy to get into other things, i really want to get out know already from this job, been messed around so much but wont go into that. Thanks for the vote of confidence

As you know i made a canopy so i could keep going, near lost the lot though.

As we know we have had a bit of bad weather recently, a few days ago i noticed that the roof of the canopy had dropped and i went to have a look, well to my surprise, or OH **** i found the support i had fitted had fell off of the central cross member, yes i forgot to screw it in place and this was found,
    I am chuffed that my bodge up of a canopy could hold all that though,

I had a bad cold and at long last died off a little and left with a chesty cough so having waisted all xmas sat sulking i though i would get off my back side and do a bit, just a bit mind you.
    With not being in the boat for a few week i first went in for a tidy up and only to find the god dam ******* cats had been in the boat peeing everywhere, not just in the cabin but around the rear deck, so that was first clean up, next will be let our Ziggy play with them next time when i catch them sick to death of pee and poop of them and owners welllllll.......

So one cleaned up a little i did an easy bit of cutting back the insulation so the water tanks can fit back in snug as with the insulation being fitted i lost 50mm on the lower edge which pushed the tank out to far. As i said it was an easy job with an hand saw

This is one of the leaks that are in 2 of the windows, i have found, i hope, what is causing it and that is the sealant that i used when i rebuilt the frames hasnt fully sealed it properly. What i need to do is wiat for it to dry out fully then only way i can get in to add some creeking crack cure is to get a Dremmel or the like sand remove as much as i can then use the CCC and more sealant. then hope it works, they are not coming out again that is for sure, i think T would give me a Viking burial on the drive if i remove them windows again lol.

Oh and i just love this boat, i have found myself another wee job ( oh i am not Scottish by the way lol i do seem to wee a lot ) i havnt a clue when they built these boat to just twin skin the rear third of the cabin top with 18mm`ish foam, this has gone all soggy and now de`laminated. This is the section, about 1500mm x 1150mm section, easy job i reckon, just a matter of cutting all around the edge which can be seen in the pics then scraping all the mess out and then bonding new insulation up and possibly bond the cut out section of inner GRP back up.

Best go, work to do to top up the boat funds

have a good day all
    Last edited by waynes world; 04-08-16 at 04:24.

Not being picky... well I am but can you go back to the bigger pictures rather than the smaller thumbnails please.

Excellent work.

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast