Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast

Default Re: The plant pot

Lovely work on that port hole looks lovely

Small update, i cut out and filled these rail mounts as the top screen i am making will be in the way, or the mounts will being the way.

easy job

Once cut out i chamfered back the edges and cut patch`s to suit, i did five laminations in total, the last three i tore the edges to give a better bond, the torn off edges i used in the job to fill out a little. Fir this i just used a set of pliers.

It didnt take long to set as its been a hot day, about 30 mins in total. Once set i sanded back to flush it off with 40 grit and then 80 grit, i did find a few low spots so just filled them with GRP filler, a nice smooth fine filler. Much better than car body filler.
    Last edited by waynes world; 09-08-16 at 19:35.

Todays update. Good and bad, well as i expected really. Its like a bloody sieve. I have spent more hours than i care to think of preping to be painted, but first off i wanted to just give a quick prime to see where needs filling more.....i wish i didnt but it needs doing. The pin holes and many more shown up, i filled all the ones i could see and feel but these are that small you couldnt see them until primed.
    Good to see some paint on it atleast, looks good from the bus stop as they say.
    Over the last few days i used paint stripper to get in the nooks and crannies to get as much paint out as possible on the tread areas. Worked a treat, left for the two 1hr applications with no harm to the shell.

To primed, getting there

Oh and what you think of my back end, i love how a little paint changes things smile.png

I ordered some Sapele timber yesterday for the screen frame and cabin entrance trim and step. Also when it arrives i will see if i can route it out to make hatch edging instead of the aluminium i was going to use. Should be here in a day or so.

Time for another update please
    Happiness is a rug and a warm cabin.

Go on then Niffler, as the weather is not to be trusted today an di need to laminate the canopy , and after a few cans last nite my welding hand is not to steady to practice my Tig welding i will give an update

We popped out this morning to get some steel to practice on making the Bow rail. I have borrowed a home made Mandrel Bender to see what i can come up with. If it worked i was going to make the final job myself but the bender makes slight marks/scrapes on the steel, which on polished SS is not good, will be a pain to polish out.

I am happy with the out come on the mock up anyway, the long curves are a bit rough as it wasnt easy to form them, but its good enough to send off to get a pro to bend it. One thing i havnt decided on is it to get it all welded up or use rail fittings, i like the look of the fittings.

I made the rail high as i want to be able to see where the bow is when maneuvering, makes mooring up etc so much easier. I can set about 6 inch above the cabin top when stood on the rear deck.
    Not sure if i have said but on the bow i will be fitting, or wanting to fit a seat that can be lifted/swings out the way when upping anchor.

This is one screen i made but i have not used it now and made a complete new one from GRP which will be shown soon enough. This what i did though.

Well that has been a week of this and that, dint get done what i wanted due to weather again but not far off, had a day off aswell to chill. As said i have decided to get a Tig welder to do my own rails for the boat this will be got in a few weeks so until then i can get it painted and fit the rest of the deck gear before i line out the cabin. I am in no panic that it is going to be done for mid next summer launch as i will have all winter fit to out now.
    Hang on....lets not get ahead of myself.

Top deck is primed but not the rear end which is going to be done bit by bit this week. What i need to get done is the top screen so todays task was that. The Sapele arrived a few days ago, this is for a few jobs and one is this.

I need to thank Steve ( the barnacle ) again, the SS bolts came in just perfct wink.png

Timber is 43mmx26mm Sapele and the window i made up from cutting and shutting the windows i got the other week. I got the two windows and loads of trim with new glass just to make the screen, i got these as they are very similar design as the side windows.

From this

Not the best wood work but good enough for me, I did mess up on the all frame 45 deg cuts but the rest of the frames had big holes drilled, to big for the bolt heads. Cant have it all as i want it guess.

These pics are before it has been glued and sanded, it is now glued and next is the polish of the ally frame, such joys, i need more polish compound now. Pay day week smile.png

Ay up i forgot to say the Sapele will be treated to Danish oil, i was impressed with the last ones so i will do it again, along with the strakes and other areas.

The side frames will be sorted asap, i have the design in my head as usual, front screen will fold back then the two sides inwards on top.

Thats as said though was all scrapped, just didnt look right, the new one is good though.

This is the mooring bollard from the boat when i stripped it and i was going to reuse it but it needs rechroming and at the cost of £40 i may aswel get a new one, if i can find one i like that is

These are the darn holes i have been obsessed with filling, T thinks i am mad filling them all, but i see it as if i do it i may as well do it as good as i can. these little white spots are the holes that show up when you prime.

I am happy to say my laminating is not to bad, in the transom here you can see where the filling has been done and where it hasnt, well where there is no filing is my new part of the transom.

And this is second time around filling it.

These areas now done but not primed as this is when i had to stop work, will be primed up tomorrow though.
    All sanded back and filled

New fuse box holder

Dash wasnt to bad, better than i though for the filling the scratch after the rite old mess i made of it.

I managed to get most of the rear end primed in the end, chuffed as another stage where it feel like its getting there.

This step was a waist of time also, but these plans never go to plan.

The top screen lower frame base is getting there, needs a fettle and good to go soon, as soon as it is it will all be primed ready to be PAINTED would you believe

When this is complete i need to get the new screen out and side windows and see about setting it up for folding down, i have had a mess about, even dropped the bloody thing and it didnt break so thats good init lol.
    One job i cant wait for is the screen to go on with hardtop, will look like a whole different boat.

Its arrived T picked it up today as it didnt arrive yesterday when i went to collect after being to the Hos`y. , i got a better deal as when it didnt arrive the chap threw in an auto mask, welding jacket ( bit late as i could of done with one when i was under cars getting covered in boulders years ago lol ) a reg and a 5KG box of SS rods.
    Just need some gas now and get stuck in then i can mak the rails for the boat and also a contraption for lifting heavy item as in....dogs on board

I have now decided to paint the whole boat down to the water line so a little of fettling here and there.

Craters where the old gel coat has popped off. all along the gunwales, down the middle not to bad as that will be tread paint so only the bad holes were filled, the outer edge there were loads of them.

These are the hollow spots i found, a few anyway,

Look worse than they are, the real deep ones will be reglassed and filled to finish. the scratchs like.

can be filled with stopper filler. along with the not so bad areas.

This will not take long, a few hours i would say for the lot.

Not to many defects i think from what i an tell, will see better tomorrow.

Been a bit off the last week but now i have got this bit done i cant wait for the rest, there is going to be a fair few repairs below the water line but that can wait util next year if need be before launch

Now the welding

If i say so myself not bad first attempt.

The setting for these welds are

60amps
    0 prefow (Just cheked it to do this write up and i thought it set it at 1.5 )
    1.5 up slope
    1.5 down slope
    4.3 post flow
    1.6mm rods

The steel is 2mm tube onto 2mm box section.

Now these are my welds after an hour or so practice.

.Bit i find hard but getting batter at is the keeping my hand steady, i need to rest it a certain way so my hand does not shake, And i spend more time sharpening the tungsten lol.

I cleaned out the inside last night to get ready to finish the insulation and do the frame work etc etc. As said tired so having break for a day or so during the week.

Ah, but on a good note, i got a delieverey yesterday, two in fact.I have been watching these eyes for some time until i spotted some thing else i liked but nothing has come along First of the deck fittings, i bought six of these for the fender eyes and to be screwwd to the Sapele rubbing strake wich i got last year i think, not sure when i got it but it has been sat on the stairs fro a long time waiting to be fitted.

They are chunky and heavy and wil be recessed into the strake. three either side. Once recessed there will not be a good thickness ( maybe 10mm ) of the strake so the screws will go through the gunnel side aswell.

Now the sad bit i am still grinning at is the oven i got, did a bit of wheeling and dealing lie i do to get this, Some may see i had a Renault Megane CC which i was going to keep but in the end the money i made on it has paid for this, and i have wanted one of these ovens for all the boats i have ever had but the price has put me off and i did want to stick with a cheap old style.

I have to say i wish i had a picture of T`s face when i lifted it out the box, a big box with a small oven in it, ` cant fit a chicken in that can we` lol

I have not removed the protective film yet and will not be until it is installed, cant be scratching it now

Oh ad Zig approves

What an abomination, that is all i can say, after waisted days work faffing it is going to scrap.

New plan, and dare i say what i wanted to do from the start, and that is to make a GRP one, more annoyed as it was a nice day and i could of finished the port side

hey ho projects tend to go this way as we know.

I woke up after a good nights kip and thought yes, lets go do some prep work, get he hull sides primed and do some chine work...........

Maybe not, i spent the rest of the day faffing with the screen. used up and waisted more Sapele that i care to mention.

In the end i got rid of the ally side windows and made my own frame work, spent an hour or so trying ti decide what angle to set the screen at, i should be fit as a butchers dog the amount of times i went up and down the ladders.

Early for a pint but by time 3pm came i had to have a pint.....or two and came up with this design. Same screen but as said my own side windows.

Thoughts please.

need to shave the lower battens a little as i would want the side screen horizontal to the gunnel. I would say they are about 5 deg out, i noticed this as i forgot when i made the frame that the rear cabin slope up to the back a little. Another thng when it is angled back a little the angle will decrease a little more.

The joinery is not the best as not the best at it,

The front folds back first the the sides, nice and neat as well, no catching as before with out cutting bit out here and there.

Now i do like this better and will look a whole lot different when the top is on.

I will give a little longer to think on and if it doesnt suit then it is a ful new GRP canopy, just i would like a little timber up top to blend the Sapele strakes in as T likes the look of adding the originals back on the hull sides. So thta will be three Sapele strakes, fender rack on the cabin top and top screen.

Not to much and not enough maybe?

Todays job was a real pain in the so and so, reason being i have made the roof rails and bow rail, a few adjustments from the way i wanted them but if i mess this up it is a costly mistake, i did mess up here and there but i fettled the mistakes so i didnt waste much of the SS tube. And i have a few meters left over to make a few rail for the rear deck maybe, or the folding seats on the lockers. that is for another day though.

I got two 6m lengths of 3/4 inch ( 19.05mm x 1.6mm ) mirror polished SS tube, For bending these tubes a kind chap lent me one that he made many moons ago and does no longer use, which is good as i have had it here for a month or so now. It is a mandrel bender as on this job kinks in the bend are a big no no. The thing i didnt expect or think about is that the practice steel was mild steel with 2mm wall ( cost is a fraction of the SS tube ) and the SS is 1.6mm, not sure if this was the cause of the problem but when the mild steel was bent it didnt stretch as much as the SS so as of below with my working out..

First job was the steady the table, in the practice T sat on the table to stop it moving....enough said lol

Worked out that the middle point on the radius is to be sat just 6mm from the edge of the bender a sin this pic, then if you are making the top rails with uprights then then deduct 35mm to get the finished length needed. if you know what i mean

I did leave this a little short but as it was practice it didnt matter, the end flattend out as the outer wheel crushed it. but you can see how i found the center to work from.

After much faffing....i like to faff dont i biggrin.png i got stuck in to the real job at hand with the SS, very nerving, as said i didnt want to waist the tube, not to mention i need to weld it all up yet.

Here are the fishtails joints i had to do, and these took some doing as they need to be accurate as possible for me to Tig weld it up.

Here my good old record came in again, i have this for years, maybe 20 even, i used some off cut Sapele to hold the tube and then the angle grinder and round file to fishtail the ends. Infact the round file i have also had for many mnay years, done some work that has, dont make them like that anymore lol.

grind/cut first with slitting disc

then grind and file to shape...easy

And hey presto we have rails, the areas i changed was on the pulpit top rail, i did want a curve it them but as i did want to mess it up and put a single kink in it i settled for straight, still they are ok. And the other was the long roof rails i was going to make them in one single length but this would of taken a bit more very careful bending and the back rail mount is off set outwards slightly and trying to get two bends so close together would of been to much to risk the mess up.

Still happy with it, just ignore the screen. that is still in the design stage. it sits to high for a start so now it will be cut down to only have a 5`6" headroom. And frame shape will not be square but another shape....cant think of the name.

I will be getting some 25mmx3mm flat SS bar for the mounting feet this week, to keep cost down i will use unfinished bar and polish it myself, so either £45 for a polished 4m length or £15 for 1.2m which is all i need for the feet.

Thinking now if i will need the extra from a 4m ready polished bar. I am sure it will be used somewhere.

Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast