Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast

Default Re: The plant pot

it's really encouraging to see the way you work and develop the project as you go along..

The amount of time you are spending will have its rewards when you get the boat on the water, looking really good and a credit to your determination.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    it's really encouraging to see the way you work and develop the project as you go along..

The amount of time you are spending will have its rewards when you get the boat on the water, looking really good and a credit to your determination.
    Thank you will be well worth it

Now this update is near to where i am at with it now. so you all be up to date with the new progress soon a si go. So if anyone wold like to give help and advise i am open to anything,

Here we go then, not much done again but looking betetr now, i reckon anyway, only as i am happy with it and not faffed about umming n arring about it.

I got the screen out and set it in place so i could laminate it in place.

I left it over night to set then cut the windows out

A quick skim with GRP filler and nice and smooth, no need for gel coat, well the rest of the boat hasnt got much lol.

I still need to fettle the other side but getting there. The canopy is next once this is done and will be narrowed a little now. I will need to redo the wiring, with the boat getting so warm the gaffer tape and perm foil tape i held it inplace with decided to detach itself so the most of the wiring has fell out the channels i routed into the insulation. Will not take long though and this time i will tape it inplace just before i line out with ply.

Wayne

have you thought about a locker for the gas bottle(s) ? If the boat is not equipped with one, there are some rules by the BSS about an overboard drain and seclusion from the main hull.

Sorry if eggs and grandmother

Wayne

have you thought about a locker for the gas bottle(s) ? If the boat is not equipped with one, there are some rules by the BSS about an overboard drain and seclusion from the main hull.

Sorry if eggs and grandmother

Hi Sara ( ? )

I think you have missed them, i have built the lockers into the engine well, so locker seats infact. I built in two 15mm drain holes in each locker so well over the needed minimum for the BSS, I think that will be around the page 4 or 5 in this blog.

I like eggs and grannys, i am married to one, a granny that is lol

I may aswell finish this update to where i am tonight. good an dbad to come,the bad i am not.....far from happy about but hey ho i have calmed down now.

I got onto finishing the screen frame which infact ok and worked all good, so i guess something was done after a bit of filling and smoothing out. Then came the canopy.top, to the point, dont ever use polyurethane foam sheets and remove the foil, reason this happens when open to sun light

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...psowgkv8w9.jpg

That happened after just 30 mins or so in the sun. Wasnt happy as i paid full wack for a sheet from Wicks when i can get it half price from a suppliers i found local to me. So i went and made it again from MDF and timber, but then the expanding foam i used as in pic would not set after 12hrs. Then that put me back a few days, then tonight i went to laminate it and then the whole surface would not take to the PVA Blue release agent......one was pulling ones hair out, what i had left anyway, that was saying it in readable terms that would not get reported to the mods on here..

Ok, bare with me, bare all if you like and i will be back as i mite just stat again this weekend when i can get some more insulation sheets. Just not remove the foil backing.

IT WILL BE WORTH IT

LUVIN IT really

The screen done and smooth as the first pint of Bow on a Friday night

What a bloody pain that has been, either foam playing up, weather being its usual self and me being to heavy handed again breaking the foam i used with the MDF for the new mould. Its dont though now, and not bad, still needs a few ribs on the underside of the canopy top to reduce more flex.

I used 9mm MDF and timber along with foam to shape it easier. The front here was filled with expanding foam, reason is a put a curve in the top and this was an easy way to fill it then cut/sand to shape

tn_20160807_123829.jpgtn_20160807_123840.jpg

Then sanded the edge for a good radius, and the rear edge i added some foam which i carved to shape, tapered down so the canvas can clip under it.

tn_20160807_123925.jpgtn_20160807_123941.jpgtn_20160807_123946.jpgtn_20160807_124545.jpgtn_20160807_140938.jpg

So todays task was to laminate it, i risked it as there was the odd shower going over early on, thank god it stayed fry later on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left it for a few hours then trimmed back to where i wanted it to be and sand back a bit be fore i smooth over.
    It is not that heavy at around 10kg, i have decided for now to keep it fixed and not folding, it has air draft of 7 foot so will be ok on most canals, will just have to check before we launch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am once again confident that it will be ready for launch mid summer next year, we have all the expensive parts bought ready to go in like the heater, cooker etc etc just need water heater but not to expensive.

I have just got back in after doing this so i can finish it this week, This will give a good flange to bolt to the front frame

It will be bolted down well, not bothered if it goes in the water, more when i am towing it lol.

Now this weekends job, i need to remove the canopy and take indoors to finish off, the easy bit, now for the bit i am not looking forward to, and yes i should of not used it but it has been good in the bast unless i got a sheet from a bad batch, but this deck was made from the best WBP Ply from Wicks, i have used it a lot in the past, in all way indoor and mainly out, built kennels, bird box`s etc

This is after a few months and with being treated with 3 coats of poly resin and two metallic primer, so should of been fine even on the cut edge.

It as been fixed in well so this is going to take some getting out, screwed, sealed and laminated down. I better stock up on the Bow for this job.

The plan is to redo but in GRP, as it should of been in the first place. It will have ribs beneath to strengthen and reduce flex, and thanks to Gazza for the help in materials Much appreciated kida

So it loos like it can be painted soon if weather is good, i am looking at going white top and blue bottom now

Now......welding..............its doing my head in. well not the welding as i can do it now, that is i can do it for a very, very short run that is before i start to either get cramp or the shakes. Not good. at all sad.png Most of the time i just cant steady my hand/fingers enough.

So i think i will hang my head in shame and get somebody to do it for me. This will be the first time ever i have had to get somebody to do something for me sad.png

This is as good as i am going to get i think, welded yes but as neat as i want it.

These are just side hand/grab rails that can be bolted anywhere. Although these will be fitted on the bulkhead sides.

Another thing is that the feet are going to have to be bolted down in situ and rail then welded on a good amount as i think they will distort a fair bit and the feet need to stay put due the the rail feet mounts are built in to he boat.. .

I spent most the weekend doing these, but to have a rest from welding i did a little more to the canopy, no pics yet of that but beefed it up a bit and drilled and bolted it down for a try out. needs to be smoothed over yet. Looks good though.

Well that isthe point to where i am now, this weekend i hope the gte the new rear deck made, weather permitting, i go another 20kg of resin today and my mate sent me some combination matt. Along with that i hope to get the rails welded up all will be shown and updated as i go. BUT this weekend need a chill out so i am off fishing Sunday

apologies, I did miss the bit about you building proper gas lockers

I have just had some stainless tubing welded for a bit on the boat. The welder introduced me to "plug welds" which make a neat tube to plate join when finished, and are easier and cheaper to do rather than having the weld run round the tube on the visible surface..

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/plug-weld.htm

I think the holes for my welding were punched out rather than bench drilled - again cheaper and much quicker. But you need someone with a 10 tonne press )

Keep going - it's a wonderful change and new life you are giving that boat.
    Last edited by sarabande; 26-08-16 at 21:15.

Any more updates?

apologies, I did miss the bit about you building proper gas lockers

I have just had some stainless tubing welded for a bit on the boat. The welder introduced me to "plug welds" which make a neat tube to plate join when finished, and are easier and cheaper to do rather than having the weld run round the tube on the visible surface..

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/plug-weld.htm

I think the holes for my welding were punched out rather than bench drilled - again cheaper and much quicker. But you need someone with a 10 tonne press )

Keep going - it's a wonderful change and new life you are giving that boat.
    I have used plug welds on panel work and cars a lot in the past, used to play with off roaders, good way for a quick easy weld, i just like the look and feel of a stronger seam weld for some reason.

I like that Mig forum, good mooch now and then, been member for a good few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Any more updates?
    Now updates.......very little to tell the truth, fiddly bits and sanding and filling of the canopy. Rials all welded and trying to decide if to fit them now or wait until i paint it, which i prefer the latter. All depends on weather and time, i like a good 2 days of no wind and warmish weather, which we are running out of now. still i can always fit thee rails and paint next year.

OMG this laptop is doing my head in, i cant get to find my pics. bur with and i`ll be back asap.

Anyway, today i ordered a sheet of 18mm Marine ply for the new rear deck, i was going to make it from GRP, changed my mind, i prefer a good solid rear deck, it will take a far bit to make a GRP one and when Marine ply will be as good there is no need.

I have 2 weeks of work at the end of October so i will be putting all i can into this, hope to get in wired, lined, door fitted, and frame work done for the berth/seating, wet room and galley.

fantastic thread, and i thought i had a lot of energy ....

Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast