Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Default Re: Single hand a Jeanneau 409/419?

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    It's crazy jumping straight in with such a large boat.

I wish you well but I would not rush into anything.
    It's not necessarily crazy, but I have a slight worry about the OP's apparent dependance on CC/DS qualifications, which I don't perhaps value as highly as he seems to.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    It's not necessarily crazy, but I have a slight worry about the OP's apparent dependance on CC/DS qualifications, which I don't perhaps value as highly as he seems to.
    CC/DS is merely a starting point (although hopefully a good one). I will also be paying an experienced skipper to come out with me until I feel completely confident to go it alone. I certainly do not think CC/DS is the start and the end of my learning.....

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    It's got little to do with RYA targets. It has a lot to do with getting comfortable with a large boat in less than comfortable situations. You know exactly what is meant - we have all been there a few times! Modern craft are well made , but suffer a lot , more from windage- more than previous generations of craft. Working round that issue without a lot of practice involves a few bumps and dings. I watch people motoring around pontoons at Mach 3 (?) and wince. Nothing matters but time at the helm in these circumstances.
    RYA null point on this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    It's crazy jumping straight in with such a large boat.

I wish you well but I would not rush into anything.
    I wouldn't say I'm rushing, but still researching.

I am sure I won't be the first and certainly won't be the last and I fully intend on making a success of it.

Good on you , I would still be leery of a new 409 in close quarters (8000NM later !)

Quote Originally Posted by dune16 View Post
    CC/DS is merely a starting point (although hopefully a good one). I will also be paying an experienced skipper to come out with me until I feel completely confident to go it alone. I certainly do not think CC/DS is the start and the end of my learning.....
    Sensible approach. Make sure you go to a reputable sea school that limits student numbers to 4; in my opinion a ratio of 5:1 is too high. Also, some schools offer a weekend's tuition for boat handling under power. I had a long break from sailing and went on such a course when I returned (Scot Sail at Largs Yacht Haven, Scotland) and it was money well spent.

I have the following books on boat handling which are excellent for establishing the principles. I would advise that the first two you should read before you go on a course: -

Stress Free Sailing, Single and Short Handed Techniques, Duncan Wells (Very Good)
    Manoeuvring At Close Quarters Under Power, Bill Johnson, (Good)
    Boat Handling Under Sail and Power, Anderson and Cunliffe (Ok)

If you can obtain the 3 x Part PBO Handling Under Power, Goode and Everitt, it is well worth it reading (from 1995 and 1996). They are out of print and Part 1 is the one that never appears to be available, Parts 2 and 3 some times come up on eBay or in online book shops.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Some people seem to take very well to shunting a big boat around under engine and I don't think it's unreasonable for the OP to pick that up fairly quickly.

There are lots of people where I sail who can step off their big boat onto the pontoon, single handed with no drama no matter what the wind or tide is doing. They always seem to use a lot of throttle.

I started racing dinghies age 8. 30 years later I can sail my small yacht sail fast but I don't excel on boat handling. Parking a 40 footer in a tight marina berth with a cross-wind would make me sweat a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I have the following books on boat handling which are excellent for establishing the principles. I would advise that the first two you should read before you go on a course: -

Stress Free Sailing, Single and Short Handed Techniques, Duncan Wells (Very Good)...
    +1 for that. I keep this by my bed and dip into it most nights for a few minutes, it's excellent.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

I am sure I won't be the first and certainly won't be the last and I fully intend on making a success of it.
    Don't take any notice of such advice - which usually comes from people who have come into sailing through a particular route and cannot imagine that there are other ways of learning to enjoy sailing.

As I suggested earlier modern boats are designed for people who want ease of handling, recognising that buyers are no longer willing to put up with heavy, old fashioned boats. Sailing is no longer an endurance sport where hardship is part of it.

If you use a commercial sailing school you will inevitably learn to sail in a boat similar to the type you are thinking about. Same if you charter a boat to gain experience on your own. Therefore you will have no experience of small boats to cloud your view of handling a larger one.

Don't take any notice of such advice - which usually comes from people who have come into sailing through a particular route and cannot imagine that there are other ways of learning to enjoy sailing.

As I suggested earlier modern boats are designed for people who want ease of handling, recognising that buyers are no longer willing to put up with heavy, old fashioned boats. Sailing is no longer an endurance sport where hardship is part of it.

If you use a commercial sailing school you will inevitably learn to sail in a boat similar to the type you are thinking about. Same if you charter a boat to gain experience on your own. Therefore you will have no experience of small boats to cloud your view of handling a larger one.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast