Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Default Re: Single hand a Jeanneau 409/419?

Hearken to all views, it is very easy to accept the advice we want to hear. There is a clique on this forum that turns every question into a panegyric on the merits of the boat they own. Often for no better reason than it is "new and improved".

Try to ignore the white noise.

You seem to be well switched on to the possibility of buying the wrong boat dune, I guess you have to be when spending a quarter of a million plus on your choice.

However, ask yourself if the family are having an undue influence on your pick; non sailors can be carried away by the look of the thing and, of course, have no idea of the practical challenges. You say they would be very willing passengers, the problems occur if they actually get a bit bored by the reality of sailing after a few trips. You are left to either get on with it or change your boat. With the Pound where it is, the losses would be very large.

There is no doubt that handling the 41 footer is not a problem, you can learn that, it is done. The drawbacks of the type have already been aired, they are not insurmountable. Taking her off her own mooring and going in to places you know can be mastered.
    Limitations start to show a few years down the line when you venture further afield and it is blowing hard and the marina may be full and you are not even sure if there is room, and the finger may be 20ft long and it could be port or starboard and the tide is running and the pontoons look very close together on the map and it is getting dark and should you stay out all night or chance it?

Sometimes I think a larger boat would be nice but handiness is a great virtue, lots of bigger boats choose not to sail because it is all too much of a fag.

There. Have a think in that light, if you still want the boat you want, great.

Once you get your DS try chartering a few times. It should be easy to find boats of the type you're interested in.

It'll give you the chance to try out different boats and different sailing areas. If you find bigger boat sailing doesn't work for your family or for you you can walk away having only spent a few thousand with time to rethink your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    I'm surprised no one has questioned jumping from a dinghy to a 41'er after a couple of courses. I sailed a keel boat for a year or so before buying a small cruiser. It's no marina queen and a tight fit for four, but I can handle it on my own in close quarters without a bow thruster. Simple is as simple does. Having had a roller Genoa jam up with a rolling turn on the drum, I'd not want to be in that position with an in-mast system. Stack-pack and slab reefing is what I have and I've deliberately not had it run to the cockpit as there were just too many pulleys needed to feed the lines. OK when brand new, but they get tight with age.

As I grow older, I value "small" but that's personal. Dom sails a big boat shorthanded and I admire his boat handling, but they both know what they're doing. I'd not think of going that big for a first boat though.

Absolutely, a friend bought a 379 about 18 months ago, and all the issues in the thread mean that the boat has probably done less than 20 hours, and includes at least a big insurance claim in a marina and several prangs, and near prangs... consequently he's scared himself off..
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Absolutely, a friend bought a 379 about 18 months ago, and all the issues in the thread mean that the boat has probably done less than 20 hours, and includes at least a big insurance claim in a marina and several prangs, and near prangs... consequently he's scared himself off..
    But... has he done what the OP has proposed ie getting some own-boat tuition from a pro until he's confident?
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

>In mast furling

Is good for single handing but in mast furling has a flat sail so is less powerful than a traditional sail thus it is slower. We found that out in Antigua Sailing Week where we had chartered a Benneteau 50 with in mast furling, every other boat with a traditional sail went past us.
    Last edited by KellysEye; 31-07-16 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >In mast furling

In mast furling has a flat sail so is less powerful than a traditional sail thus it is slower. We found that out in Antigua Sailing Week where we had chartered a Benneteau 50 with in mast furling, every other boat with a traditional sail went past us.
    But normal cruising isn't a race! It's about enjoying the experience, ideally with minimum effort, hence the popularity of in-mast.

>In mast furling

In mast furling is good for single handing but has a flat sail so is less powerful than a traditional sail thus it is slower. We found that out in Antigua Sailing Week where we had chartered a Benneteau 50 with in mast furling, every other boat with a traditional sail went past us.

???

Quote Originally Posted by A1GSS View Post
    But... has he done what the OP has proposed ie getting some own-boat tuition from a pro until he's confident?
    Yes, at no point did I suggest I would do "a couple of courses" and then think I know it all and sail off into the sunset solo. I will be paying an experienced skipper to come out with me for however long it takes before I get fully comfortable with all aspects.

^ Sensible approach I think.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast