Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Default Re: Single hand a Jeanneau 409/419?

Quote Originally Posted by A1GSS View Post
    But... has he done what the OP has proposed ie getting some own-boat tuition from a pro until he's confident?
    Yes he has, but that hasn't yet got him into a position where he's confident to take the boat out without experienced assistance. Not helped by it being a shoal keel, twin rudder job
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

When I bought my boat, albeit a 32 footer, I had very limited sailing experience restricted to a few holidays with included use of a Hobie Cat.

We then had just one full day of instruction on our own boat and that was enough to give me us confidence to get out on the water and practice on points of sail and hoving-to etc. We practiced mooring and my wife took responsibility for the lines when returning to the pontoon. Working out our mooring game plan and having defined roles ensured that we understood what we were doing and thought ahead about the various scenarios that we might encounter.

Oddly enough, we had more trouble picking up a mooring at a buoy than at a pontoon, but then we practiced that on fewer occasions.

The biggest boat I have moored at a pontoon was 36 feet and I felt considerably more challenging.

Yes, I've already been advised again twin rudders with regards to manoeuvring in the marina. Whether I go for a 389 (which i am beginning to favour) or 419 it will be fin keel and single rudder.

Quote Originally Posted by smartmove2014 View Post
    Yes, I've already been advised again twin rudders with regards to manoeuvring in the marina. Whether I go for a 389 (which i am beginning to favour) or 419 it will be fin keel and single rudder.
    I don't know about the 419 but the saildrive is a long way forward, which doesn't help with the ability to utilise all the tools available, including prop kick
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    I don't know about the 419 but the saildrive is a long way forward, which doesn't help with the ability to utilise all the tools available, including prop kick
    I, too, have had this thought. It seems even more important to have prop wash for standing turns and for alignment when backing on my current 30'er than it did on my previous 38'er. I cannot imagine being without it and it seems all the twin rudder boats would be completely without it. Our slip for the last two years has been in a small basin with a strong cross breeze off the finger pier and into our slipmate. No wind is easy as pie but I need propwash every time to get the alignment I want when it is windy across the slip.

Can anyone with a twin rudder boat comment?
    Dan

Yes, twin rudders don't have the ability to direct propwash with the rudder and it sucks. A bowthruster does not fully compensate for this. Although if you're berthing near me, the bowthruster sound will usually make me poke my head out of the hatch and help you with the lines if I'm not doing anything uninterruptible

The distance between saildrive and rudder is a non-issue. You quickly get used to the fact that it takes about a second for the propwash to arrive at the rudder and plan for it. I don't even have to think about it anymore. Doesn't stop my ability to do standing turns in a marina (saildrive, single spade rudder, no thrusters).

Agree twin rudders detract from close quarter handling.
    Gladys referred to prop kick, not wash, which is affected by the distance between prop and stern.
    For what it's worth, I've single handed a Jeanneau 36i without a thruster, over 3 years visiting 50+ marinas and don't find berthing an issue. A 419 with a thruster or better still 360 docking, should be no problem after the sort of training the OP has in mind.

Why not just get the Janneau agent to charter you a the same boat you are contemplating buying for a couple of days? The cost would be nothing compared to the loss from having to sell an unsuitable boat. A women I know has just bought a Hanse 455 for a solo 2 year RTW trip but she didn't commit to purchase until she had tried it out sufficiently to know she could handle it(admiitedly she is a sailing instructor/YM etc).

Quote Originally Posted by eddystone View Post
    Why not just get the Janneau agent to charter you a the same boat you are contemplating buying for a couple of days? The cost would be nothing compared to the loss from having to sell an unsuitable boat. A women I know has just bought a Hanse 455 for a solo 2 year RTW trip but she didn't commit to purchase until she had tried it out sufficiently to know she could handle it(admiitedly she is a sailing instructor/YM etc).
    Already suggested by several people that he charters boats of that type to check out both whether he can handle them and whether his family like the idea.

The impetus to buy this type of boat often comes from having chartered one and realise how easy they can be to handle and what great boats they are, if you can afford it. Exactly how I came to buy a similar size boat.

If your sailing experience is mostly in this size of boat, then owning one is not daunting. Perhaps it is people who have gone the "traditional" way of starting small and working up that have difficulty in accepting that a 40' boat is possible for short and single handed sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Yes, twin rudders don't have the ability to direct propwash with the rudder and it sucks. A bowthruster does not fully compensate for this. Although if you're berthing near me, the bowthruster sound will usually make me poke my head out of the hatch and help you with the lines if I'm not doing anything uninterruptible

The distance between saildrive and rudder is a non-issue. You quickly get used to the fact that it takes about a second for the propwash to arrive at the rudder and plan for it. I don't even have to think about it anymore. Doesn't stop my ability to do standing turns in a marina (saildrive, single spade rudder, no thrusters).
    Yngmar, I am glad to hear the sail drive doesn't significantly hinder the prop wash effect. My slip mate has a sail drive and complains that it causes him the problems he has getting into the slip. I have been quite surprised at the lack of attention paid to the twin rudder thing as marina manoeuvering is the biggest stress I hear listed by sailors and I would be reluctant to buy a boat that hurt my ability to do this effectively. My experience on the two inboard sailboats (both shaft not saildrive)I have owned make prop wash and prop walk an integral part of tight quarters work. I guess until I can afford one of these fancy thruster systems I will stick with a single rudder and shaft drive with a caveat that a fantastic boat having sail drive could be looked at. I do know I don't want my stomach in knots contemplating berthing!
    Dan

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast