Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Default Re: Single hand a Jeanneau 409/419?

Quote Originally Posted by smartmove2014 View Post
    Yes, I've already been advised again twin rudders with regards to manoeuvring in the marina. Whether I go for a 389 (which i am beginning to favour) or 419 it will be fin keel and single rudder.
    I'm confused now - are you the same person as dune16? If so, why the different identities?

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Intriguing...
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I'm confused now - are you the same person as dune16? If so, why the different identities?
    Nah, I am looking at similar boats to op and stuck a watch on the thread amongst many.

I only tried to correct a spelling mistake and deleted my entire post. In summary, Jeanneau 389 or 419 with self tacking jib, bow thruster, stack pack main, single rudder and deep keel. I am indeed considering chartering a 379 in advance of placing the order.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dune16 View Post
    I only tried to correct a spelling mistake and deleted my entire post. In summary, Jeanneau 389 or 419 with self tacking jib, bow thruster, stack pack main, single rudder and deep keel. I am indeed considering chartering a 379 in advance of placing the order.

Many thanks.
    You are aware of the performance issues with self tacking jibs ? Especially on a boat that wasn't designed for one. It's a different thing if the boat was built with one, with the mast further forward to allow for a bigger main, or if the boat is a cutter with a self tacking staysail, but to fit one in place of a genoa would incur a big performance penalty.

I'm single handing with a 140% genoa and can't see the big deal with tacking, unless i was short tacking up a river, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    You are aware of the performance issues with self tacking jibs ? Especially on a boat that wasn't designed for one. It's a different thing if the boat was built with one, with the mast further forward to allow for a bigger main, or if the boat is a cutter with a self tacking staysail, but to fit one in place of a genoa would incur a big performance penalty.

I'm single handing with a 140% genoa and can't see the big deal with tacking, unless i was short tacking up a river, maybe.
    Many modern boats are designed for quite small headsails, often only 106%-110%. The reduced sail area of a self-tacking jib is much less significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    .....If your sailing experience is mostly in this size of boat, then owning one is not daunting. Perhaps it is people who have gone the "traditional" way of starting small and working up that have difficulty in accepting that a 40' boat is possible for short and single handed sailing.

But you have just bought a smaller boat and last month told us how tricky it was to handle at close quarters.

It's all a balancing act between the qualities which are nice and the downsides which can be nasty. Anyway dune it looks like you have made up your mind - keep us informed on progress.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Many modern boats are designed for quite small headsails, often only 106%-110%. The reduced sail area of a self-tacking jib is much less significant.
    That's why i said "Especially on a boat that wasn't designed for one."

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    That's why i said "Especially on a boat that wasn't designed for one."
    But the boats the OP mentioned were designed for a self-tacking jib...

Adding a bow thruster to my old boat would have solved much of the problem.
    There were many reasons for going smaller which I have explained many times, not least now being over 70 and no longer needing the accommodation, nor the work of keeping a 15 year old boat. Add to that, I could afford a new boat and as I am unable to travel as I planned, enjoying a boat that is exactly what I want is a good substitute.
    Please
    None of that alters the fact that competent active person should have no difficulty in handling the type of boat the OP is considering buying.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast