Welcome to the UK South Coast. To the foreigner who arrived there after half a life of sailing in other places, it is wonderfully charming and pleasant, some of the best cruising grounds in the world.

I have always loved Weymouth since I first sailed there about 7 years ago. The harbourmasters are most particularly pleasant and helpful, proven to me vividly once when I failed to arrive back from London before the office closed, and needed to get my boat keys, and one of the harbourmasters very cheerfully drove in and opened the office to give them me.

But Weymouth is only one of many very lovely ports on the South Coast. How about Dartmouth, Salcombe, Falmouth, Fowey, Lymington, Cowes? I could go on.

I'm writing this from the island of Gotland in the middle of the Baltic Sea, en route from Finland back to the Hamble. I was just thinking this morning that however much I love the Baltic, I am really looking forward to getting back to the UK for the "bonus summer" (September-October is already cold and nasty here -- the sailing season ends in August) in the Channel. Weymouth will definitely be on the program.