Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Default Re: Total newbie - Go easy on me!

When I'm teaching in the marina I like to pick a time when the lock is closed (low water) as there is less likely to be much traffic and you can often practice close quarters handling (without fear of hitting another boat) around the visitors pontoon (opposite the fuel pontoon) just before the lock gates.
    For a bit more of a challenge the boat hoist pontoons if not in use are good. The wind tends to always be on your beam here so getting in between the two pontoon fingers straight on can be very difficult. But you have plenty of room to reverse away from them if or when it all gets out of shape. It's also a good habit to learn to reverse away from a potential unwanted contact as the sharp end of the boat is narrower than the stern.
    I agree with others that a first cruise to Cardiff will be much easier than to Watchet/Weston as you can navigate and position fix by buoy hopping, always have enough deep water, go with the tide each way making for better fuel economy and time and during the summer there will likely be many others making the same trip (so you can almost cruise in company), you are never out of sight of the coastline and there are plenty of mooring and entertainment options once you lock into the barrage. For (a couple of hours) shorter trips out we tend to lock out before HW and go up the River Avon or for more of a challenge/distance the Wye to Chepstow and then return to Portishead when the tide turns.
    Welcome to Portishead Quays Marina

This stuff about practicing inside the marina. It's one thing if an insured, qualified instructor or sea school wants to supervise students coming on and off various berths, but I would be surprised if the marina was keen to let less qualified private individuals do the same, especially when the aim is to get skills they admit they are lacking right now. Having had two 'supermarket dings' on my boat in the last year- both when the boat was tied up and unattended on her own berth, both the result of inexperienced boat owners taking the berth next door, and neither owned up to- I would wipe the floor with the marina if I found damage resulting from them knowingly letting an inexperienced skipper, and not a neighbouring berth holder, come on and off alongside more than is simply necessary for berthing. I strongly urge you to get an instructor on board if you do this- firstly because you will learn a lot more, but secondly because if it goes horribly wrong and you damage someone else's pride and joy in the name of practice, you might get a reputation you don't want amongst fellow berthholders.

Quote Originally Posted by tatali0n View Post
    No lobster pots this far up
    I motored past (30 yards) a bright red pot marker between Cardiff and Newport last week. If there was a pot on the end of it or just someone marking a good fishing spot or something totally different I don't know, I wasn't expecting it as people say you don't get them but it made me stand up to look over the spray hood for the rest of the way.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Bitbaltic...

(on holiday so short reply)...

Was only thinking of a completely clear area. Of course we wouldn't practice next to anybody if there was the slightest element of risk!

We've had endless days of training, just as time has passed, it took so long to get Gorjus to a state we're happy with that we've got rusty. At the moment it just means being overly cautious until we find a CLEAR area to refresh in. To be honest, worst case, I'll use the far marina wall for 15mins.

Anyhows, 2 days until we rent a boat here in Port D'Alcudia .

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    When I'm teaching in the marina I like to pick a time when the lock is closed (low water) as there is less likely to be much traffic and you can often practice close quarters handling (without fear of hitting another boat) around the visitors pontoon (opposite the fuel pontoon) just before the lock gates.

For a bit more of a challenge the boat hoist pontoons if not in use are good. The wind tends to always be on your beam here so getting in between the two pontoon fingers straight on can be very difficult. But you have plenty of room to reverse away from them if or when it all gets out of shape. It's also a good habit to learn to reverse away from a potential unwanted contact as the sharp end of the boat is narrower than the stern.

I agree with others that a first cruise to Cardiff will be much easier than to Watchet/Weston as you can navigate and position fix by buoy hopping, always have enough deep water, go with the tide each way making for better fuel economy and time and during the summer there will likely be many others making the same trip (so you can almost cruise in company), you are never out of sight of the coastline and there are plenty of mooring and entertainment options once you lock into the barrage. For (a couple of hours) shorter trips out we tend to lock out before HW and go up the River Avon or for more of a challenge/distance the Wye to Chepstow and then return to Portishead when the tide turns.
    Welcome to Portishead Quays Marina
    Thanks for the tips. A lot to think about! I think we'll probably do Cardiff before Chepstow, despite it being twice the distance... just due to it being an easier / safer route. The bouy hopping sounds a great idea too... can reprint my charts and see if we can make it with the navionics screen turned off (i know, i know, navigation is to be my next course of many!).

I'm aiming to get an outboard engine for backup at some point over the next couple of months (bit skint after holiday + mooring)... but my main concern with getting over to Cardiff is having a 30yr old engine. She's not let us down once yet in our approx 30 hours of diddling around so far though, so trust is building. We absolutely are planning on getting the aux engine... but if we were to do a Cardiff run... and the engine failed... how miffed do you reckon the Portishead coastguard will be if we put a call in? The boat has been serviced to an inch of its life only 3 months back, inspected to death (survey, engine inspection, electrics inspection, gas inspection), and the engine has proven to be reliable thus far... soooo we've been reasonably diligent... I'd just like to use the thing before I grow old(er) endlessly prepping it!

We've just been given a few options for berths (in a temporary one currently)... J17 being one of them... but given that it's exposed to the slip+hoist, I think we might give that one a miss .

Have looked up the visitors pontoon, thanks for the tip... will give it and the hoist pontoons a bit of use. We did a "licenced" rental in Mallorca last week, which was great as a refresher... our "parking" was flawless, which we were both really pleased with, so think we might have dusted off the majority of the cobwebs... just need to re-apply it to our 1 ton/30yr-old boat as opposed to a quarter-ton/brand-new rental . I reckon 15 mins of faffing (AWAY FROM ANYBODY OF COURSE) and we'll be back up to speed .

And everyone can breath a sigh of relief... we have our permanent berth... with no direct neighbor .

D52.png

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910