Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Default Re: Is wind vane steering necessary....

Quote Originally Posted by co256 View Post
    I hope you didn’t think I was being sarcastic John, I understood you very well, I just hope you and we get an honest un ranted answer before this thread goes from 12 pages to 24?!
    No I didn't misunderstand you, I just couldn't resist adding the slightly sarcastic remarks....

The trouble is someone seems to be immune to such remarks and the general opprobrium of fellow sailors. It appears some people actually enjoy being out on a limb and the more they get questioned, the more it appears to affirm them in their 'special role and place in boat design and construction.'
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell (which is slightly odd for a philosopher who was so sure of his atheism...)

Per
    Last edited by co256; 15-11-17 at 18:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Poecheng View Post
    Glad you are back.
    Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your windvane please?
    Thanks
    The drawing I have exceeds the limit allowed here.
    I tried.
    The most important thing is to get negative feed back , in the linkage between the vane and the trimtab. Connecting the vane to the trimtab an inch or so behind the axis of the rudder, gives you that. On mine that is adjustable.
    Positive feedback is what you get when you ship the vane on the trimtab shaft. As the tab goes over ,and pushes the rudder, the angle between the trimtab and rudder increases, resulting in oversteering. Negative feed back, where the angle between the trimtab and rudder decreases as the rudder swings over ,eliminates that

Quote Originally Posted by co256 View Post
    Perhaps it is so with all forms of mechanical engineering that the individual who devotes as much time to the form of a thing as to its function invariably produces something simple, efficient and a pleasure to use.

Scrap materials cobbled together may well suffice for the work up of an idea but do not inspire me when they are put forth as the finished product, un evidenced by even so much as a picture...
    Scrap stainless is, on a molecular level , absolutely identical to new, and indistinguishable from it in any way. The sea doesn't read the brand name or price tag before deciding on how hard to treat gear.
    Believing it does, is a suckers game!
    Here is your picture.
    [QUOTE=co256;6231188]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fonmXsXSdtU
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-11-17 at 22:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Attachment 67094
    Previous ports on this voyage ( one of many)clearly listed, which US customs tends to check diligently , with severe consequences for any deception.
    Click on the document, for an expanded, readable version.
    A computer kid could improve it further.

Scrap stainless is, on a molecular level , absolutely identical to new, and indistinguishable from it in any way. The sea doesn't read the brand name or price tag before deciding on how hard to treat gear.
    Believing it does, is a suckers game!
    Here is your picture.
    Is this yours too, Brent?
    #WeAreScotland
    A1

Attachment 66988
    My current boat in Mexico, Baja, 1989.
    No ,those are not BC forests in the back ground !
    May i ask a question about the paint
    if it is so good, how come we have changed colours ie see posts 96 & 97 where this occurs again
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    Is this yours too, Brent?
    Yes definitely! He tried a horizontal axis one ,and found it took to much fiddling around, with no real advantage. This one took him around Cape Horn, and on to the Aleutians, then back to BC, with no complaints.
    Cost ,under $50 for materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    May i ask a question about the paint
    if it is so good, how come we have changed colours ie see posts 96 & 97 where this occurs again
    North of Cabo, in winter, dark green was warm to the touch on sunny days when she was frozen in in minus 12 degrees C.
    South of Cabo it was far too hot. Painting her white was like adding air conditioning. Even changing the deck colour from very light beige to white made a huge difference .
    North of Cabo, a white hull caused muskiness in the lockers, which dissappeard as soon as I changed it back to dark green.
    On Winston's first boat, the one he circumnavigated in, changing the hull colour from black to white , in Tahiti, gave him a 20 degree change in cabin temperature.
    Bare aluminium in the tropics gets hot enough to burn the soles of your feet ,in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Iíll leave others to judge whether your claims to have sailed the Pacific many times are credible. One of my jobs in assessing candidates for their skippers tickets (offshore or ocean) is to assess whether their claimed experience is credible.

People who rush to Ďproveí their claims with photographs of one record arenít always very convincing. Iím sure youíve made one crossing. Youíve IMPLIED youíre an extremely experienced sailor, but Iíll allow others to judge their veracity.
    I have passports from many pacific crossings, but they exceed the size limit here.
    No computer whizz kids around, at the moment.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast