Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Britannia K1 replica.

Yes. If you stop on top of the bridge and look across you can see her on her mooring. Looks a pretty exposed spot to me.

Waking up an old thread, does anybody know the possible prospects for this poor old new classic yacht?

I've seen her every time I've crossed to the island for 18 months. If she's no better than scrap, why hasn't she been scrapped?

{151760} is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

According to the K1Britannia web site, k1britannia.org the restoration plan is still current.

Hmm. That website looks to me to be remarkable only for its emptiness. All ready to report activity, at such time as there is any.

I don't know about cold-moulding as a construction technique, nor do I remember what kind of wood this hull was made from...but is it likely to be worth pursuing, or will the neglected structure be unable to bear the loads of the intended rig?

{151760} is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Hmm. That website looks to me to be remarkable only for its emptiness. All ready to report activity, at such time as there is any.

I don't know about cold-moulding as a construction technique, nor do I remember what kind of wood this hull was made from...but is it likely to be worth pursuing, or will the neglected structure be unable to bear the loads of the intended rig?
    Well, nothing much seems to have happened for a long time now, but someone is paying mooring and towing fees.

Amid some weird bookends, this video includes some nice sequences of the original yacht.

I hadn't realised she had a bermudian rig by the end of her days. 176ft spruce mast weighing three tonnes!

Quote Originally Posted by StormNorm View Post
    According to the K1Britannia web site, k1britannia.org the restoration plan is still current.
    All I see there is a vague statement that they want to build a replica ...nothing about using the Russian hull as part of it.

The "K1 Britannia Trust" seems to be more or less moribund (does this look like an organisation poised to spend tens of millions on a replica yacht or even, as they claim to, currently putting 10 disadvantaged people annually through a college course in yacht restoration?)

and the sister "K1 Britannia Foundation" seems to be base in St Kitts, which claims to do all sorts of things but provides little evidence for any of them. I can't find anything which confirms that it is a charity.

Edit: http://www.thevintagemagazine.com/sp...art-mcclellan/ has some more history of the replica.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 14-09-18 at 21:06.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Last time I was up Southampton Water, about three weeks ago, she was back on the mooring at Hythe.

Been there for nearly eighteen months.

Indeed. Been on that Moore g 18 months or so.

I worked in Ocean Quay while she was there and studied her from the pontoon on many a lunchtime stroll.

Sadly I feel she's only fit or scrap. I suspect the only reason she's not been scrapped so far is the cost of doing so.

Briefly chatted to the American owners one day who were remarkably upbeat about the project.

It must be nearly 20 years since work started in Russia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast