Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: If Cornish Crabbers built a schooner...

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    I think she looks very nice.
    All it needs is a wheelhouse and serious sized motor, don't you think, Dan?
    LM27 - All the Scandi-noir heroes have one!

I reckon a wheelhouse on a Crabber, would be even harder to get right aesthetically, than on a Centaur. Got me thinking, though.

Actually when I get into gaff-mode (sadly limited to memories of Mirror dinghies and daydreams) I leave my dislike of harsh weather, on shore. All of a sudden I'm in hero-mode, aboard a Grand Banks schooner with Lionel Barrymore and Spencer Tracy. Good grief, how did that film suddenly get to be eighty years old???

As I say, daydreams.

Cherubini 48 Modifed L Francis Herreshoff design. Not in the same league as a CC.

http://www.cherubiniyachts.com/48.html

Quote Originally Posted by michael_w View Post
    Cherubini 48 Modifed L Francis Herreshoff design. Not in the same league as a CC.

http://www.cherubiniyachts.com/48.html
    Don't think £9K would get you far there...

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Anybody else detect a bargain, here? £9,000 for an '83 Crabber... http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=525115

Not perfect - needs new deck-paint and a good general polish. But she looks like a nice genuine no-tech trad-reproduction.

On this boat, I really like the fact that her only electrical system is the navigation lights.
    I looked at that, but how popular are lifting keels? Another big hole in the boat to me, but many advantages in re mud berth and creek crawling

If you're going to answer your own question...

Think theMk 1 is wooden topsides, the Mk 2 is all grp, anyway 9k is very high , but he may be lucky.

Nine grand is about right for a mk1 in need of 'tidying'. I went to look at this boat last summer. Not bad but I reckon she needs a good few bob spending to bring her up to scratch.

I recently looked at another in Woodbridge for £15000. That too needed a few bob spending.

Happily the owner turned down my offer of £13000 because a week later a really nice Mk2 turned up on eBay for £14000. And, as far as I can tell, fingers crossed, she needs very little, if anything, spending on her. Although I am installing a heater.

image.jpg

My new boat :-)

The boat looks very well cared for. Just be aware that the deck can go soft due water ingress. Walk around on it to see if it’s ok. I had a Mk 1 for many happy years. I had the deck repaired around the hatch....a weak point I recall.

I thought £9.000 looked cheap. Usually there's a fair number of Shrimpers (19ft) of similar age, asking more money. Unless I've lost touch completely with values.

Not that I'll be making an offer myself, but I'd think she looks like a good deal for someone, assuming her condition is fair.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456