Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Laying a mooring...?

Hi all ... I'm going to be laying a mooring for our 34ft. yacht in a West coast Scottish inland Loch. How do you work out the required weight etc ... All info will be most welcome as I haven't done this before. I'm sure the local club will be very helpful but would still value all opinions.

Default Re: Laying a mooring...?

swinging or fore&aft ? Can you fix screw anchors into the sea bed ? How much depth will have at LAT ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

It'll be a swing mooring ... sand and mud bottom ... not been advised about depth yet ... not sure what screw anchor is .... should get more info over the weekend.

Even the heaviest weight sinker will drag along the seabed in a gale / storm; is the sinker going to be dug into a hole, is it a diver job ?

Personally I haven't heard of screw moorings except ' Environmentally Friendly ' elastic band jobs, which I investigated for BORG re Studland; be very wary of these, not least as they are apparently untested in the UK, will require serious regular checks and maintainence, and I would be seriously worried about insurance.

If not dug in I'd be concerned about a drying mooring in sheltered Chichester, let alone in Scottish waters.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Looking at something like 2 mushroom type anchors .... heavy chain joining them ... short chain then rope riser .... but how big mushrooms ... chain .... etc.

BUT are they going to be dug in ?!!!

A rope riser sounds no good at all to me - I presume you're talking about from mooring chain to buoy ?

I've never heard of a rope riser even in balmy ( sometimes jolly rough ) Chichester - do you mean the mooring strop from buoy to boat ?

Beware of that, a friend had his boat on a relatively sheltered mooring, then a series of gales hit and he knew his boat was in trouble, but simply could not access her by dinghy.

The rope chafed through and the boat was destroyed.

Chain doesn't chafe through.
    Last edited by Seajet; 14-10-16 at 19:48.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

One of the problems of laying moorings in Scottish Lochs is that in some areas, the seabed can shelve steeply so the actual depth you need to set the mooring in can be quite deep so you need to get some info from the locals as to what your depth will be.

A lifetime ago, my father and I used to lift and lay our mooring every year which consisted of two large fishermen anchors with approx. 50 foot of ground chain between them and then a chain riser to a steel junk wire.

Years later in the Gareloch I went over to using a 300 lb single mushroom but it got stolen by the local bad guy who it was reputed, stole peoples moorings during the Winter and then sold them back to his victims in the Spring so I went over to using massive concrete sinkers which could not be lifted by divers.

I laid one sinker mooring for my 31 foot Westerly off Largs which comprised a 5 foot diameter x 1 ft high concrete sinker cast in a steel mould with a 1.5 in loop welded to the base. Total weight was about 2500 lbs I used about 20 feet of very heavy ground chain then about three times the depth of water for a riser which I think was about 5/8" (ish)

To enable handling of the concrete sinker, I set up the steel mould on a large very solid pallet at the top of the slipway and mixed the concrete. After allowing about 6 weeks to cure, I used a pallet truck to shift the now very heavy concrete sinker to the foot of the slipway at low time Six hours later, I got the local mooring contractor to come in at high tide and lift the sinker and set it in place on the seabed.

These days, the norm in some areas is 1, 2, or 3 railway wagon wheels welded together to form a sinker with a length of Ground Chain and then Octoplait to the mooring buoy.

You should contact Gael Force in Glasgow as they took over FPM Henderson as they have stocks of chain and anchors.

I would have to say no ... I would imagine they have to sink into the mud/sand as they'll probably be in 8+ meters of water ... how would you dig them in? I live in the far North of bonnie Scotland so I haven't been able to talk to or see what others do with their boats. We've been on a wee pontoon for the past 3 years but due to Easterly storms I'm putting the boat South to the West coast for shelter .... While sitting here I would like to plan my mooring and start getting stuff together.

I would have thought of chain joined from the 2 mushroom spread... rising to the mooring buoy ... but ... 2 people ... one on the Clyde and one in Argyll .. have both said rope riser .... then rope from the buoy to the boat ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast