Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Long wave radio for the boat, to pick up shipping forecasts etc

We have a useless car radio in the boat, that even has a powered aerial booster of some sort but in France we really struggle to pick up long wave for weather forecasts (and R4! Not the Archers, I will add) and in the UK it is pretty hopeless for picking up FM.

I want to upgrade to something usable.

Music/MP3 from an input jack would be nice as we have it now. Jack is also currently used to put output from standalone cheapo battery radio so we can get some reception! Preferably something that didn't suck amps for a pastime as well would be good.

Any thoughts on what to get?
    Ever hopeful that the new landfall will be as good as the last one.

Default Re: Which Long wave radio for the boat, to pick up shipping forecasts etc

This is my favorite..
    Degen 1103

As well as long wave and fm just add a tablet or smart phone and you can get weatherfax as well . and navtex Though the speaker is a bit tinny, I have it going through a little class t amplifier as well, which provides excellent sound for music and radio. Low power draw with both on.

Default Re: Which Long wave radio for the boat, to pick up shipping forecasts etc

Just replaced my old Sony with a Sony DSX-A200, about 50 from Halfords.
    Semms to get LW, MW and FM fine with just a short piece of wire as aerial, but the boat is only in Scotland.
    Has an input jack and usb port.
    When I looked at a few specs. sensitivity seemed much of a muchness, so I went on low price.
    Don't think there's such a thing as a mere car radio these days, it's a "digital media player", and lights up like Blackpool Illuminations!

Quote Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
    Just replaced my old Sony with a Sony DSX-A200, about 50 from Halfords.
    Semms to get LW, MW and FM fine with just a short piece of wire as aerial, but the boat is only in Scotland.
    Has an input jack and usb port.
    When I looked at a few specs. sensitivity seemed much of a muchness, so I went on low price.
    Don't think there's such a thing as a mere car radio these days, it's a "digital media player", and lights up like Blackpool Illuminations!
    +1 for the Sony. It actually gets used for Test Match Special more than the shipping forecast but that's another story. (Bewildered faces of French people hearing this weird English commentary coming from my rucksack when cycling in France...)
    Semper aliud

I have a Tecsun PL-398mp. Excellent bit of kit that receives all the stations, plays MP3s in stereo, takes rechargeable batteries that can be charged whilst still in the radio via a USB lead, timer, alarm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Radar%C2%AE...rds=tecsun+398
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Degen is by far the best bang for the buck - outstanding RF front end. But the User Interface takes some learning.

Have had a fun few hours seeing what we can receive when in the middle of nowhere.

We've had a NASA HF3 on board for years, good reception. http://www.nasamarine.com/product/hf3w-ssb-receiver/

The Degen seems to eat batteries, I have recently got a Tecsun PL310et that seems to be very good with better VHF reception and uses a usb power supply

You can get a Roberts portable radio / cassette job - RC9907 - for about 40 from Force 4.

It has LW, FM & MW and a timer, so you can record the forecast.

It does its job well and is quite compact ( one speaker, it is NOT a ghetto blaster ! ) BUT is a right fiddle to set up for timed recording, takes a bit of practice.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    You can get a Roberts portable radio / cassette job - RC9907 - for about 40 from Force 4.

It has LW, FM & MW and a timer, so you can record the forecast.

It does its job well and is quite compact ( one speaker, it is NOT a ghetto blaster ! ) BUT is a right fiddle to set up for timed recording, takes a bit of practice.
    That's what I have, and very useful it is too, especially in the crinkly bits of Scotland where not much else can be received. The R4 forecast is more reliably received than Navtext which seems often to be off air. The ability to do timed recordings means not having to stay up to or get up at silly o'clock to listen to the forecast. Don't know how long compact cassettes are still going to be available for though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast