Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gel coat colour - does this mean anything to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    So I have someone booked to go over Seralia and fix 22 years of dings.
    Ferretti boats aren't white so I sled them what the colour was.
    There response is:

GELCOAT BEIGE 484 DSM.

This mean nothing to my GRP guy.
    Anyone know what this might mean - I assume the 484 is a colour code but we don't know on which system
    Jez, I have the gelcoat colour ref in my Azi handbook. Can't recall what it is, but not too dissimilar to your code. Actually a good gelcoat wizard will mix the colour to suit the boat.

It looks like there has been some realignment in this industry with DSM merging their gelcoat biz with BÜFA Gelcoat Plus who then sold to:

http://www.euroresins.com/products/gelcoat-and-topcoats

Every boat I've built I had a custom gelcoat mixed to match an auto oem paint code (no one spends more on color than the auto companies) which can be cross referenced with other coatings (e.g. Porsche GP White to gelcoat then duPont epoxy for floors).

These chemical companies have "color labs" that are very helpful,and resourceful. Try locating them and call or shoot them an e-mail.

Might have missed this but how old is she?
    Much more than three or four years and you might find the original colour will no longer match.
    In fact I find that the colour often changes as you move up the hull/coachroof, the higher the more bleached.

I used to mix my own colours, would take me 40 minutes or so and I pretty much always got close enough for the customer to not spot the repair unless I pointed it out but I'd only nail it 40% of the time.

These days I chip off an inch square in the area and send it down to a company in Ipswich and they colour match it for me using a spectrometer.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Might have missed this but how old is she?
    Much more than three or four years and you might find the original colour will no longer match.
    In fact I find that the colour often changes as you move up the hull/coachroof, the higher the more bleached.

I used to mix my own colours, would take me 40 minutes or so and I pretty much always got close enough for the customer to not spot the repair unless I pointed it out but I'd only nail it 40% of the time.

These days I chip off an inch square in the area and send it down to a company in Ipswich and they colour match it for me using a spectrometer.
    Can you give us the contact details of the company please?

Is UV fading as apparent with the Ferretti / Azimut cream than on a white boat I wonder? If it is less apparent then Jez just needs the factory colour.

Don't Ferretti have a UK agent that would know?

I bumped my first boat and used a guy based in Swanwick to repair it. He was ace and could match anything. Apologies can't recall the name

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Is UV fading as apparent with the Ferretti / Azimut cream than on a white boat I wonder? If it is less apparent then Jez just needs the factory colour.

Don't Ferretti have a UK agent that would know?
    Boat is 20 years old, if gel coat color has not changed Ferretti needs to be building space ships not boats
    A good gel coat man will make it unrecognizable. If you do not know the guys it is good they show some works repairs they did.

I understand the GRP will have faded - I have an excellent GRP repairer doing the work. The GRP repairer has asked if I could get the original colour so we can start mixing from there rather than an arbitrary beige.

The answer from Ferretti came via Ventura who are the UK dealer and extremely helpful.

The exiting colour plus some panels I'm removing from the boat will allow us to do w load of work here so we can limit what we need to pallet and ship to spain

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Can you give us the contact details of the company please?
    Did we ever get details?

So a very clever British guy who comes to do a neiboring Fairline 39 Targa does it differently.

He peels a tiny bits of gel-coat from the area he wants to do, takes it in a laboratory in the UK, and then matches the color in other area from there onwards.

Btw the name of the British guy is Anthony Harrington and does really a nice job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12