Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Diesel fuel additives

Anyone got any preferences re Soltron and Grotomar enzyme fuel treatment. I have just had a major engine problem/overhaul and want to ensure I look after my motor to the best of my ability. Cheers!

Default Re: Diesel fuel additives

Starbrite Startron ��
    Anyone seen Grabthar's hammer?

Looking after your engine is servicing it properly, adding diesel bug inhibitor will help prevent problems in the fuel tank and keep lines clear.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    That's what I've used without problems for the last 6 years.

I used to use Soltron/Startron, but found further bug growth. I changed to using Marine 16 and Grotamar (alternate every 6 months or so) and find they are better.

Grotamar produces prodigious amounts of solids when dealing with the bug which bunged up the fuel lines on our boat.
    Anyone seen Grabthar's hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg View Post
    Grotamar produces prodigious amounts of solids when dealing with the bug which bunged up the fuel lines on our boat.
    Solids get filtered out; bug is slimey and blocks filters.

Keep the fuel clean and dry and you won't need snake oil.

Build a simple polishing rig, and grease the threads on your deck filler.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

An observation is these additives seem to be a UK obsession and those countries which use any old road fuel, so with lots of biodiesel aka FAME, just don't seem to have the 'problems' reported in the UK.

As a small indication of this I compared two near identical boats, mine 10 years old and always wintered in the UK with red diesel since new, and the other 13 years old and kept in Athens which had been filled with any old road diesel and whose tanks had never been inspected, let alone cleaned. Both had done about 2000 hours motoring. The Greek one's tank was much cleaner!

My conclusion is that the best thing is to keep your fuel clean and with no water at all in the tank. Additives are only an imperfect palliative for sloppy housekeeping.

My suggestion for good practice is:
    1. On lay-up make sure there's no water in the tank. Open it up and look.
    2. Run the tank empty at the end of the season, maybe even throw away old fuel, or use it in the car (see #4)
    3. On re-launch make sure there's no water (condensation is unlikely but one might as well be sure)
    4. Fill with diesel. Road fuel is best, not the old red diesel which has been ageing in the marina's tanks. It's very probably cheaper anyway since most marinas rip one off even allowing for the 60/40 split.
    5. On arriving in a port (or home) after a voyage do not fill the tank just becauee you've used a bit. Wait 'til nearly empty and then refill with new, clean, fuel.

I know it's contrary to what most do, but I genueinely think it better practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast