Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F36

Default F36

Hi,
    Now I can understand that you are proberbly getting very annoyed with me asking endless questions about all things sealine! And you definitely don't want me to ask another. BUT I AM GOING TO ANYWAY!
    I have extended my range of boats from the F33 to the F36 and I have found an absoulutly brilliant one, hardly ever been used e.t.c It has KAMD 44 EDC (I have heard bad things about them) should I be worried?
    Is there anything I should look out for? (apart from a volley of verbal abuse sent by who lot at me for asking another question!)
    Comment's much appriciated
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Moose on Sun Nov 25 20:38:41 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

Default Re: F36

Yes they can be bad news, ask Kim H about there's one year, could cost a fortune in the longrun, better buy something with slower revving diesels in like my Princess 388.

don't worry about asking a zillion questions Moose. There is no limit or ration. For myself I know sod all about f36 or 44edc engines. Praps worth finindg out who did the maintenance and which agent they used and having a good chinwag with them -you're a potential customer.

No problems on the number of questions, but you might want to use the search tool in this particular case (try F36 and perhaps Sealine) as there's been a lot of previous comment on this model, some of which I was involved with.

Took an F36 right around Britain in 1999 and logged over 700 hours on the boat (with 44 series diesels) in 99/2000 so can certainly help you with feedback. Worth you taking a look at it, certainly, but service record on the 44s important. In particular, valves must be adjusted every 200 hours.

Thing is. If you've spent thousands devloping the engine and its good stick it in a truck. Then your going to sell thousands of them. But if its crap put it in a boat and spend a couple of grand to market it. Cos they dont know the difference.
    So if yer Eddie Stoppard or what ever. You know the diffence
    its not a one off cos yuv ad undreds. But boat owner. First one and only one so, zillions of pounds per spare part.
    Unfortunatly we all should be worried cos nearly all boats got Volvo engines and all very much crap. So theres not allot of comparison, its only crap versus more crap or worse crap.
    Now if we could have a Gardener or Cummins much more in the equasion or maybe a Cat or one of those Jap Jobs.
    Then we could have a discusion, but untill then!!
    It's just Volvo crap or Volvo crap. Same co darnt put crap in a truck. Nuff said.

Haydn

Not very helpful Haydn and not terribly well informed. Everyone loves the idea of a Gardner; these days few seem inclined to buy the kind of boats that have space for them or the like.

For the record, 30 and 40 series Volvo Penta diesel was designed for marine use first; very few of them have found their way into straight automotive use. Certainly not the 44-series, which is marine only.

We all have reasons to want to moan about Volvo Penta but I wonder where the performance motorboat market might be in Europe without them?

Ok Kim. We'dbe all back to rags and sticks I suppose!!
    No we would'nt. We'd have a healthy economy.
    Volvo have pushed the boat out far to far and angered to many customers. I'm one of them. They've done and got away with the marketing job for far to long. Hey I did it for long enough. But I know when my name is numbered!!

Kim its not rocket science. No car or truck go's on the market these days suffering from cylinder head defects that show up in a few thousand miles. Its just not on, The dog watch programs would make a meal of them in no time.
    Ok put a warning on them. GO'S LIKE STINK BUT F***ED after 10-100-1000 miles. Quote from Volvo " You Mean The Gear box lasted 600 hours!!" I rest my case.

Haydn

Agree that there is sometimes an unacceptable contradictory dual line employed ie "it failed because it was only used a few hours each year" (actually rather more valid in my book) and "whoa, you mean you actually use your engines!"

Of relevance to this thread was the fact that we had one 44-series diesel drop a valve after 600 hours on our F36 for the following reasons:

a) valves should be checked every 200 hours on that model and they weren't on two relevant services by authorised service agents;

b) contributory factor was the poor design of the engine that means it is a long-winded job to get the rocker cover off.

Interesting point; outside of the Volvo test fleet out boat was probably the first one to clock such high hours on the 44 so we were the first to uncover the fact that many 44s (not just ours) were not being serviced correctly (ironically saving may of their owners about a day's labour in the short term). A big flurry of people checking afterwards that also unearthed the fact that the main service agents for other engine manufacturers had, in some cases, also been found to be under-servicing diesels.

Kim I use my boat a lot more than most. Mechanics blame me for using it to much. Yet. I've had trucks which have done 400'000 miles. With no more than a fan belt, a clutch plate, and reline the brakes. All normal wearing parts. But I've spent more in re geaboxing and drive chains in Volvo boat engines than in my entire history in, transport, Factory, 24 hour use and domestic. I'm still getting excelent use out of gearboxes from 1964 without service or oil change. Except maybe once every five years or so.
    I've had four Volvo gear boxes break. There is no good excuss. Ive had trucks and driven them To Saudi Arabia and back. 25 times. Through Desert, snowdrifts, minnus 30dg and though 130dg. all with no problem. Volvo gear boxes.Well were only asking them to go round, were not asking them to go up the Kiber pass or run through 16 gear changes a minute. Just clunck in gear once a month or so and go round
    for an hour or two or maybe three.

If I've got a problem, and its been said I have. I actualy use a boat. All the mechanics go horror, horror. Errm It was'nt
    meant to be used??

Haydn

Kim, its a well known fact that you do not drop valves, because the valve settings/clearances are wrong, they may be noisy or you may lose power due to poor valve timing, or even get blow by, but you do not drop valves. I have been working on boat diesels for some time, have you noticed where they put things like raw water pumps etc, have you tried to change some of them when they are installed in the boat, I have and its often a nightmare. Volvos are in particular a bastard to work on. We should get some of the guys who still work on these beasts to have a say, but they daren't they would probably lose there jobs or lose the franchise etc. As far as the engine manufacturers go, we are easy meat, where do we go? Nobody listenens to us, we have too much money anyway and are all idiots who dont know one end of a spanner from another. Try ford engines, not as powerfiul as some of the larger volvos, but they are well proven and you can buy parts in a chemist!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast