Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All is lost

Default All is lost

I have just finished watching the 2013 film "All is lost" about a solo yachtsman who hits a container in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Is it realistic? Some of his actions seem a bit far fetched. Opinions, folks?

Default Re: All is lost

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tarbath View Post
    I have just finished watching the 2013 film "All is lost" about a solo yachtsman who hits a container in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Is it realistic? Some of his actions seem a bit far fetched. Opinions, folks?
    Watchhimtiethebowlineatthestart
    Watch him tie the bowline at the start. - its back to front - or upside down..... It was so unrealistic I got quite angry and turned it off.

There was a long discussion about this when it came out. I suggest you enjoy it for what it is, and bear in mind the target audience is not sailors. I enjoyed it.

Great film for non sailors but any sailor will soon wonder why he didn't have a PLB and EPIRB, backup (handheld) VHF, satellite phone etc. The ending might have been a dream/vision/mirage due to sleep deprivation.

Of course this is my personal opinion, but it's a really stupid film.
    A film I really enjoyed is "Turning tide En Solitaire" (since Vendee Globe is now on too....).
    Keep sailing

It depends. What you mean by realistic?

The concept? In very general terms. I suppose so.
    A single handed sailor, hits or is hit by something while asleep. Potentially causing the loss or sinking of his or her vessel.
    A period of time where the sailor has to depend on them self, try to find out how badly damaged, the vessel is, try to determine if it can be saved or if they need to call for help?
    The vessel sinking and having to abandon to a life raft?
    The concept is plausible and possibly realistic.

The actual details and events as depicted? Not so much.
    I found it had to many unrealistic details I found it unwatchable.
    I hit the fast forward after about 10 or 15 minutes.

It was not unrealistic to the point of impossibility. Just that Redford's character makes some unwise choices.
    But on the whole it portrays a much more realistic vision of sailing than most big budget films. To most non-sailors, a yacht is about 100ft long, made of glistening teak, and adorned with equally glistening nubile female crew.

If you want a *really* bad sailing/yachty film, try that one where they all go for a swim and can't get back aboard...
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    It was not unrealistic to the point of impossibility. Just that Redford's character makes some unwise choices.
    But on the whole it portrays a much more realistic vision of sailing than most big budget films. To most non-sailors, a yacht is about 100ft long, made of glistening teak, and adorned with equally glistening nubile female crew.

If you want a *really* bad sailing/yachty film, try that one where they all go for a swim and can't get back aboard...
    This forum is perfect evidence that in the same situation many of us would act in totally different ways. What makes sense to one person watching the film makes little to others - although obviously they had to condense many many different issues and solutions into one film.

One thing that sailors objected to was when he'd tried to patch up the boat, saw squalls coming and decided to have a nice shave. I completely got that - once you've done everything that you can then calming yourself down by having a wash and shave is the kind of thing I do. A lot of sailing is preparing then waiting so no point in make that wait anxious when you can distract yourself.

IIRC I turned it off after about 15 mins - it was just wrong on so many levels and, given the money available in film, the level of knowledge, and access to expertise, it just struck me as unprofessional, whoever it was made for.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

I have it on digital and must have watched it half a dozen times.

A great fictional drama for sailors and probably without equal ..... until "The Mercy" is released sometime in the next few months.

Richard

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast