Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All is lost

Default Re: All is lost

I thought it was complete "rollox"
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Wonder if Tim Peake gets all indignant watching star trek?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    If you want a *really* bad sailing/yachty film, try that one where they all go for a swim and can't get back aboard...
    I'm not for one moment suggesting that was a good film.... however unrealistic? I'd suggest that actually that is quite a possible scenario to end up in following a moments thoughtlessness.... and I certainly remember it whenever I decide to go for a dip over the side!

I quite liked it. I watched it one evening onboard alone. Made for a pleasant background film while I got tea and washed up etc.

Headline news: Hollywood star in Hollywood film is unrealistic.

But at least they made a film about sailing. Got to be better than yet another superhero show or remake of somthing that wasn't that good in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Triassic View Post
    I'm not for one moment suggesting that was a good film.... however unrealistic? I'd suggest that actually that is quite a possible scenario to end up in following a moments thoughtlessness.... and I certainly remember it whenever I decide to go for a dip over the side!
    When it came out, a work colleague described a similar experience. Him and one other, ferrying a racing yacht back to its home port with the rest of the crew having flown home. Hot calm day, they decided to stop the engine for a bit and go for a swim. Both dived in, no ladder rigged (and this predates swim platforms and permanent stern ladders), suddenly realised they couldn't get back on board. Obviously they did manage in the end for him to be telling me; can't remember what technique they used. But for a while they were seriously worried that they might end up drowning alongside the yacht, and how stupid that would be.

Pete

Home: Heathrow area. Boat: Emsworth Marina

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post

Excellent point. When I watch a film the factual parts I ignore for the most part else I could never enjoy a film at all. Strangely though the only thing I do get peed off about is the phrase "Over and Out" else I enjoy films for what they are "Entertainment"
    1978 Westerly Centaur "Dilemma" No 2252

You are probably right.
    I wonder what real detectives or other police officers think about Police stories on TV or the Movies. I enjoy many of them because I have no idea how a real murder investigation and prosecution works.
    I have even less of an idea how actual soldiers or pilots or whatever the story is about really do what they do. I enjoyed Steve McQueen in the Great Escape and Bullet realistic.? Well yeah right.
    James Bond? The current ones is the best since Connery but still what would a real spy or secret agent think.

Most movies I have no clue. how realistic or believable they are.

Unfortunately some subjects I do have knowledge of. Some times in a good story or film it doesn't matter. EG. There are flaws in
    Das Boat, The Perfect Storm. Titanic, The Poseidon Adventure(The Original) But the film was good enough it did not matter.
    I Just Watch The Heart Of The Sea. I didn't want to for a long time because I knew the story. As per usual Hollywood takes a few liberties with the truth to improve the story. I still enjoyed it.

All is lost just wasn't anywhere close enough. But It could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post

I'm not sure who Tim Peak is. Indignant or not.
    I enjoyed Star Trek as a kid and was surprised in later life to hear, While a lot of it is pure fiction or even fantasy. Quite a bit is based on actual reputable scientific theories.
    I enjoyed Star Wars to but never heard any allegations Star Wars was anything but a fantasy.

There must have been a few Star Trek Fans at NASA. NASA named the first space shuttle The USS Enterprise.

I wonder if NASA ever name anything the Millennium Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    When it came out, a work colleague described a similar experience. Him and one other, ferrying a racing yacht back to its home port with the rest of the crew having flown home. Hot calm day, they decided to stop the engine for a bit and go for a swim. Both dived in, no ladder rigged (and this predates swim platforms and permanent stern ladders), suddenly realised they couldn't get back on board. Obviously they did manage in the end for him to be telling me; can't remember what technique they used. But for a while they were seriously worried that they might end up drowning alongside the yacht, and how stupid that would be.

Pete
    The obvious way back on board, especially with two people, would be to climb up the anchor chain. We've done it on a monohull just test the theory but it can also be done on my cat by climbing the snubber bridle.

Of course, in the film (Adrift in the UK / Open Water 2 in the USA) the film makers had to frame all the shots so that the anchor chain is not visible or else the film would fall flat at the first hurdle. Of course, in real life the boat had to be anchored otherwise it would soon drift away and no Skipper would never abandon an unanchored boat unless it was sinking.

The film editor made one mistake in the storm scene when the anchor chain comes clearly into shot as a freeze frame on my recorder soon demonstrated to SWMBO.

Richard

I assumed in 'Adrift' that the obvious thing to do (given no anchor chain) was to form a human pyramid. OK so the ones on the bottom would have to hold their breath, but it would only have to be for a few seconds while one person got a hand on the rail.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast