Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All is lost

Default Re: All is lost

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ... Of course, in real life the boat had to be anchored otherwise it would soon drift away and no Skipper would never abandon an unanchored boat unless it was sinking.
    Have you never swum off your boat mid passage? I've had a swim mid atlantic after drifting around the doldrums for the best part of a week, and I seem to remember RKJ swimming off Suhaili regularly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    I assumed in 'Adrift' that the obvious thing to do (given no anchor chain) was to form a human pyramid. OK so the ones on the bottom would have to hold their breath, but it would only have to be for a few seconds while one person got a hand on the rail.
    I think they tried that but failed ..... although, to be fair, I don't think it would work because unless the lower person had something to hang on to the upper person would just push them further under the water and on a high freeboard you're still going to be well short. We tried it on my cat which is high freeboard and it didn't work on that.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    I wonder what real detectives or other police officers think about Police stories on TV or the Movies.
    When Hot Fuzz was released it was very obvious that the script writer had an awful lot of inside knowledge. Not with regard to the plot or action sequences, (it was after all a comedy) but in terms of the behind the scenes politics and subtle messages. The expression "Many a true word is said in jest" was oh so apt......

Quote Originally Posted by Triassic View Post
    Have you never swum off your boat mid passage? I've had a swim mid atlantic after drifting around the doldrums for the best part of a week, and I seem to remember RKJ swimming off Suhaili regularly as well.
    Yes I have, but never with no-one at all left on board and I have sugarscoop hulls so getting onboard is easy.

RJK might well have done it but it must have been a dead calm otherwise even he would not have risked it .... and his level of acceptable risk is much higher that a normal sailor. Either way, a breeze was blowing in the film as you can see the ensign flapping and I don't believe that even RJK would have gone for a solo swim in that situation.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Triassic View Post
    Yep, single handed becalmed mid Atlantic. Quite an odd feeling being in 4km of water swimming away from your boat. A shearwater which had been following the boat for a while let me swim up to it and give it a little kiss on the head, beautiful moment so far away from everything and everyone.

I share those folk's annoyance at this movie's glaring inaccuracies. As a professional breeder of small magical ponies, imagine my delight when it was announced back in 1985 that there was soon to a be a film release entitled "My Little Pony, The Movie". Sadly, on watching the movie my excitement quickly turned to anger. There were so many errors and inconsistencies in that movie that it was abundantly clear to me that no professional breeders of small magical ponies had been consulted when scripting this film. I left the cinema after half an hour of the puerile and, to my eyes, very childish nonsense. I have since found out that the director, Mike Joens, did little if any research into the world of small magical ponies, which, to be honest, came as no surprise to me.
    Last edited by fredrussell; 31-12-16 at 11:21.

For a hypothetical problem of having both crew jump in mid ocean for a swim and neglected to ensure a ladder.
    Depends on the boat of course.
    Mine a 35ft boat fin keel mid 80s.
    I could probably reach the bottom of the ladder at the stern from the water but could not pull it down since its secured up.
    Assuming not strong enough to pull myself out.
    If I could hold my self to bottom rung. pal could climb up using my shoulders as a rung.

if no ladder.
    Freeboard wild guess around 3ft. At about 6ft tall my arms are not quite 3ft. but I just might be able to get a hand hold at 3ft.
    pal could clime up using my shoulders.
    Hopefully I was not swimming in the buff.
    String from shorts plus shorts could be improvised as line to try and throw up to station. borrow crews bikini top shorts ect to assist.
    If I could move rudder of center could use as foot rest if close enough to stern. if not shorts over rudder as foot hold plus pals shorts to station.

In reality having dived of an anchored boat with less than a 3ft freeboard. I realised instantly jumping of boat was dumb and I had only one option, swim to shore which looks a hell of a lot further from the water.

So any other ideas. how to get back on board.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The obvious way back on board, especially with two people, would be to climb up the anchor chain.
    My colleague and his crewmate were not anchored.

Pete

Well, I didn't think much of the dialogue

With the obvious exception of Redford's character being competent in many areas yet apparently having learned radio procedure from the lyrics insert to Regatta de Blanc, if we suggest that a film is rubbish because the central character makes choices which we wouldn't make that pretty much writes off any film where characters go to the creepy old house on the hill to see if they can phone a tow truck or answer a distress call after being unexpectedly woken up from suspended animation in hyperspace.

All is Lost is not perfect but it's brave, unique, far from formulaic, contains a fine performance from Redford and hey folks, it's using the sailing scenario to tell a bigger story about the human condition: it isn't a documentary.

En Solitaire may be enjoyable for the sailing bits but as drama it is utterly lame.

And yes I think we're all very excited about The Mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    imagine my delight when it was announced back in 1985 that there was soon to a be a film release entitled "My Little Pony, The Movie". Sadly, on watching the movie my excitement quickly turned to anger.
    You're aware there's a new movie coming in 2017 based on "Friendship is Magic", yes? Let's hope they've put the research effort into that one.
    Last edited by laika; 31-12-16 at 13:06.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast