Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: One for Dan crane

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    £9k - £12k for ... that? Good grief. Mind you, I see there is one for sale - with a weird interior - for £15k, so perhaps they have some sort of charm to somebody.

The little electric outboard seems to have been installed so that its thrust can be directed straight to one side or the other with the motor horizontal. Looks to me like a boat with handling so horrible that an improvised stern thruster has been installed to make it go round corners. Maybe the mizzen has been added for the same reason.
    Yes, they do command what some might think as silly money - but that has been the thrust of several threads in the past. Few of these boats were built and V expensive when new. However if you like the type there is not much choice which seems to keep prices up

There is one photo that shows the electric outboard in the conventional down position. Not sure what speed you would get, but suspect it would be adequate for the Broads and enough battery capacity for a few hours running.

Happy New Year, gentlemen.

I popped in here with a reasonable - well, slightly odd - okay, predictably loony question...but I find I'm already on the menu!

Regarding the Swin Ranger, it amuses me that people criticise the design of boats like these on the basis of their windage and poor sailing characteristics. It would be just as irrelevant to complain that a small racer's cabin is deplorably cramped and its rig is demanding...

...the fin-keeled flush-decked racer's owner doesn't care if the boat's design restricts his use of it, any more than the purpose-designed cruiser's owner cares if his boat wallows to leeward upwind.

My thinking is that no sailing I've experienced, challenges me and rewards more fully, than singlehanding my big old racing dinghy...

...while no time afloat felt better-prepared for the UK's variable conditions, than a weekend on a bilge-keeler with an inside helm.

Totally different approaches; a go-cart and a caravan. But owning both seems an affordable shortcut to the best of inshore sailing.

Regarding the electric motor, heaven knows what the seller's thinking was. (I haven't looked beyond the first page/photo). My interest in an electric auxiliary owed most to the discussion of engine-troubles hereabouts, and the fact that most problems with diesels seem to stem from their use for short periods, whereby owners habitually ignore manufacturers' running-temperature advice...

...so an electric for getting on/off moorings and out of marinas, with a diesel for distance/donkey work, still sounds beneficial to me...

...but since this Swin Ranger has a petrol outboard rather than a diesel, that cannot have been the owner's way of thinking, anyway. Perhaps he likes occasional silent running in peaceful areas, as I would myself - who wouldn't?

Interesting rig, though.

I suspect Dan the electric motor is for quiet pootling in the mere's and backwaters, without scaring wildlife, while the outboard is for general propulsion. Or he could be a smuggler
    Last edited by steve yates; 06-01-17 at 00:51. Reason: iPad called pootling Portland!

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post

...so an electric for getting on/off moorings and out of marinas, with a diesel for distance/donkey work, still sounds beneficial to me...

...but since this Swin Ranger has a petrol outboard rather than a diesel, that cannot have been the owner's way of thinking, anyway. Perhaps he likes occasional silent running in peaceful areas, as I would myself - who wouldn't?

Interesting rig, though.
    If you look at the full listing you will see that this is a Norfolk Broads boat, so probably works quite well.

However when you do look at all the photos you will discover why it "amuses" some of us. Nothing like your ordinary Swin Ranger and you will also understand why the owner has destroyed any value to the sort of person attracted by the original boat!

Want a bargain?

How about this 'un? Staysail schooner "Ruah", built 1944.

On the TradeMe auction site for NO RESERVE. But of course, has now received a number of bids. And of course, it's in New Zealand...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boat...1233798808.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12