Thumbs down Yanmar 1GM10 Gearbox

Faced with the need to strip my gearbox, I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. Step 2 in the strip sequence is to "cut away the staked portion so the nut will rotate". I have two problems with this, the first being that I have never heard of a "staked nut" before and the second is that the output flange is so rusty, it's difficult to see what needs to be done. I've had a go at it with a wire brush but this hasn't helped. Once off it'll get a good going over but this doesn't help right now. The illustration in the handbook isn't a lot of help.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Default Re: Yanmar 1GM10 Gearbox

I would expect the "stake" could be a tab-waher or a portion of a washer OD that is bent over the hexagon to lock the nut. Does that fit?
    Or perhaps some sort of locking portion integral with the nut andpunched in with a hammer.
    Last edited by earlybird; 05-01-17 at 15:16.

It's not a tab washer. It could be an extension to the nut that's clouted over a flat, I suppose but it's difficult to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    It's not a tab washer. It could be an extension to the nut that's clouted over a flat, I suppose but it's difficult to see.
    I stripped down a Jap car front axle last year and the manual had been translated from the Japanese and also featured this staked nut which I ignored as I had no idea what it meant. I soon realised when I tried to remove the nut that it has a raised collar, a bit like the plastic insert in a nyloc, and there is a groove in the shaft. When the nut is tight the collar is bashed with a centre punch so that it depresses the metal into the groove a bit and stops the nut turning.

You have to hammer an old screwdriver down inside the groove and under the collar to prise it out ... and knock it back it when it's reassembled and tight again.

Richard

A google search on "staked nut" provides some helpful stuff, but it seems that although the term is generally accepted as meaning "locking a nut by deforming it", there are lots of ways in which this is achieved.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Richard, this looks likely, sadly I've had a go at it with a chisel, as described in the manual, so it's now ever harder to work out where the groove is..

Jumbleduck, you've obviously had more luck that I with Google. When I tried it, nothing even remotely likely turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Jumbleduck, you've obviously had more luck that I with Google. When I tried it, nothing even remotely likely turned up.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Just undo it. It will take the edge off the outer part of the male thread and blunt the passing thread of the nut but then you will be using a new nut for the rebuild anyway won't you. Trying to open it up by brute force will cause worse damage.

Worked for me this time, too. Thanks Jumbleduck. Now i just have to work out where the "ding" is on the nut.......