Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Broadcast VHF radio ending in Norway

"By the end of the year, all national FM broadcasts will be closed in favour of DAB"

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38529435
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...shift-digital/

Planning on cruising Norway this year; how well do DAB car radios work in boats? Earthing? Aerials?

Default Re: Broadcast VHF radio ending in Norway

Do you speak Norwegian? Otherwise there doesn't seem a great deal of point.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    "By the end of the year, all national FM broadcasts will be closed in favour of DAB"

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38529435
    www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/05/norway-become-first-nation-switch-fm-radio-shift-digital/

Planning on cruising Norway this year; how well do DAB car radios work in boats? Earthing? Aerials?
    The title is misleading, the Norwegian VHF coastal radio is still operational and is providing excellent services to pleasure and commercial users.

Weather forecast is published on working channels several times a day, if you contact the radio station on ch16 or directly on on of the working channels you can get weather forecast repeated.

You find the broadcast time on the linked channel plans, vær=weather.
    https://telenormaritimradio.blob.cor...soer-norge.pdf
    https://telenormaritimradio.blob.cor...nord-norge.pdf

FM broadcast is terminated this year and replaced by DAB, DAB have been operational for several years. We have car radio with DAB using the same aerial as for digital TV with splitter, excellent reception with aerial 17m above sea level.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Personally I think the switch off of FM national radio programs is a mistake for Norway. I have tried digital broadcasts on the tv, on the computer and also bought a DAB portable radio. After finding the DAB radio consumed 4 AA batteries every 4 to 5 weeks compared to the FM radio it replaced using 3 AA batteries every 4 to 5 months, so I stopped using the DAB radio. Yes selecting the stations is easier on the DAB, but the running cost does not justify it.

If the FM switch off comes to the UK in the near future, then I will require 2 reception boxes for the cars, at least 3 new radios, a new stereo and a new radio for my boat. Being forced to do this for the reasons given of extra channel frequencies for even more radio stations that very few people will ever listen to. The change to digital tv has brought many extra tv stations, but how many do you actually watch on a regular basis? The overall quality of tv programs has dropped with so many cheap to produce or imported programs. Most of these extra channels are just not worth watching, and the same will apply to the extra DAB radio channels.

It will be highly likely the protests in Norway from the public could reverse this switch off. No politician would be happy at loosing a method of speaking to "his" public, let alone the loss of distribution of news and other important messages. Just imagine the outcry if some people in this country could not hear Radio 4, 3 or 2 in their home or car.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    Personally I think the switch off of FM national radio programs is a mistake for Norway. I have tried digital broadcasts on the tv, on the computer and also bought a DAB portable radio. After finding the DAB radio consumed 4 AA batteries every 4 to 5 weeks compared to the FM radio it replaced using 3 AA batteries every 4 to 5 months, so I stopped using the DAB radio. Yes selecting the stations is easier on the DAB, but the running cost does not justify it.

If the FM switch off comes to the UK in the near future, then I will require 2 reception boxes for the cars, at least 3 new radios, a new stereo and a new radio for my boat. Being forced to do this for the reasons given of extra channel frequencies for even more radio stations that very few people will ever listen to. The change to digital tv has brought many extra tv stations, but how many do you actually watch on a regular basis? The overall quality of tv programs has dropped with so many cheap to produce or imported programs. Most of these extra channels are just not worth watching, and the same will apply to the extra DAB radio channels.

It will be highly likely the protests in Norway from the public could reverse this switch off. No politician would be happy at loosing a method of speaking to "his" public, let alone the loss of distribution of news and other important messages. Just imagine the outcry if some people in this country could not hear Radio 4, 3 or 2 in their home or car.
    Leaving aside the discussion of FM vs DAB, I find these days I am increasingly listening to radio stations via their web presence - BBC broadcast on the web, my station of choice is Classic FM and they do.. HD quality on Classic (not sure about BBC), with ever cheaper WIFI is this the future of broadcasting I wonder rather than bespoke radio's? Good set of speakers and blue tooth the web radio station from your phone.. jobs done..
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

Personally I think the switch off of FM national radio programs is a mistake for Norway.
    I agree. In Sweden there were advanced plans for closing down FM in 2022, in favor of DAB. Thankfully the government scrapped those plans last summer, after much criticism.

After finding the DAB radio consumed 4 AA batteries every 4 to 5 weeks compared to the FM radio it replaced using 3 AA batteries every 4 to 5 months, so I stopped using the DAB radio.
    This is the great unspoken truth about DAB - the most energy inefficient broadcasting medium ever devised.

Quote Originally Posted by oldvarnish View Post
    This is the great unspoken truth about DAB - the most energy inefficient broadcasting medium ever devised.
    Proponents of DAB argue that receivers will become more efficient as they develop, which is largely a fallacy. They are inherently inefficient, and only limited means can be used to address the issue.

After finding the DAB radio consumed 4 AA batteries every 4 to 5 weeks compared to the FM radio it replaced using 3 AA batteries every 4 to 5 months, so I stopped using the DAB radio. Yes selecting the stations is easier on the DAB, but the running cost does not justify it.
    TBH, I don't think the sound quality is very good either. We've all had to become used to it, but the difference in quality was very noticeable when TV went from analogue to digital. OK, we're all getting older and there is inevitably some hearing loss, but the difference was quite pronounced on changeover IMHO.

Interestingly, just the other day, a BBC Radio4 news reporter claimed that digital sound quality was better. Has it improved?
    Ω

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    TBH, I don't think the sound quality is very good either. We've all had to become used to it, but the difference in quality was very noticeable when TV went from analogue to digital.
    Interestingly, just the other day, a BBC Radio4 news reporter claimed that digital sound quality was better. Has it improved?
    That's like asking questions about "a boat" without saying whether you mean a Mirror dinghy or a Sunseeker. There are loads of different digital formats, and most of them allow varying levels of quality, sometimes trading off different "kinds" of quality against each other and overall bandwidth. The stuff streamed to me over the Internet looks and sounds way better on my 49" telly than any analogue broadcast ever did.

The reason digital broadcasts might sound worse is if they've decided to use that flexibility to deliberately dial down the quality in order to fit more channels into the same space, or even into less space in order to sell off the excess. That's a business issue, not a technical one.

(Admittedly, in the specific case of DAB, people who know more than me have said that it was an inherently poor choice of format as well.)

Anyway, this is all getting a long way from the OP's original question, which was about listening to broadcast radio in Norway. I don't have any experience, but I don't see why a car DAB unit shouldn't work just as well on a boat - though for one summer's cruise, perhaps a portable (ideally with a 12v adapter) would make more sense.

Personally of course, I wouldn't bother at all since I don't understand Norwegian so there's no point me listening to it. I'm curious whether the OP happens to speak the language, or whether he momentarily forgot that Norwegian broadcast radio will be in Norwegian

Pete
    Last edited by prv; 08-01-17 at 14:14.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast