The Earth but normally in the place of the high stream some where in Perthshire

Default Rusty chain and octoplait splice

I have 3 anchor warps with varying lengths of chain spliced to about 50 metres of octoplait .

99.9 % of the chain is still galvanised and clean but the interface with the octoplait is rusty. The rusty 6 inches plus chain looks good and the octoplait strands look Ok apart from being heavily stained but the whole splice is stiff as a bone and does not flex at all

Do I have a problem ?

I am inclined to cut off the splice and resplice on clean chain but is it worth it . Splice is tight Tempted instead to spray /soak with WD 40 and wash with fresh water . Any suggestions or cautions ?

Default Re: Rusty chain and octoplait splice

Cut them out and re-do them. It's an easy splice that takes no more than a few minutes even in old rope.

If it was me, for my own peace of mind, I would cut out the old splice, and remake it. The splice holds the damp, and will always tend to cause rust. In about 500 years, the rode will be too short.

Re splice. You'll barely have time to finish a beer. This is a maintenance item, every 2-5 years.

Just a newbie question....

I'm guessing splicing direct to the chain eliminates things that could fail but is it acceptable to shackle the octoplait warp via a hard eye to the chain? I'm just thinking this would give me a long warp I could use on other things (stern anchor with short chain, etc).
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post

I'm guessing splicing direct to the chain eliminates things that could fail but is it acceptable to shackle the octoplait warp via a hard eye to the chain? I'm just thinking this would give me a long warp I could use on other things (stern anchor with short chain, etc).
    Perfectly acceptable, provided you don't want it to engage with a gypsy on a windlass.

Or splice the rope to the shackle.

Thank you, I thought it would be but best ask. I'm using good old man power rather then a windlass.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

My kedge warp is like that, 5 metres of chain and 50 metres of anchorplait with an eye and thimble connecting with a shackle. The rope is then available for a shore line or similar if needed.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

I find it a good plan.

It keeps the warp out of the bow where it retains dirt and saltwater, tends to fester and generally get in the way. It allows the rope to be stowed dry and available for other things.
    Only really viable if you have a fair length of chain for your anchoring circumstances though. I have 45mts of chain and have not resorted to the nylon very often.