Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: True Ocean Going Foiling

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Because speed is not the key issue; there are currently too many compromises to be made.

Ridiculous isn't it? You might as well have suggested a few years back that we'd all be using electronic charts, linked to satellite-derived navigation systems, radar and autopilots. But hey, there will always be Westerly Centaurs around.

That's why there will be computer control for the cruising versions.
    As you say, perhaps a bit condescendingly, there will always be Centaurs around . The family cruising boat market is very conservative. How else do you explain the 35 ft Bavaria/ Hanse/ Benny, when buyers could instead be sailing a tri or even a First? And the fondness for long keels and heavy displacement?And thats before you even take into account the extra cost of the technology. Or the average age of new boat buyers.

I dont see high tech foiling monos as being the family cruising boat of choice in my lifetime if it exists at all.

Quote Originally Posted by howard easton View Post
    As you say, perhaps a bit condescendingly, there will always be Centaurs around . The family cruising boat market is very conservative. How else do you explain the 35 ft Bavaria/ Hanse/ Benny, when buyers could instead be sailing a tri or even a First? And the fondness for long keels and heavy displacement?
    What fondness for long keels and heavy displacement? That sort of boat hasn't been built in any significant numbers for decades. Family cruisers from the makes you list are light, high tech hulls stuffed with electronics, roller furling systems and generally high-techery these days.

As it happens, I sail a forty year old long keeled design, but I don't delude myself into thinking that it's more than a minority interest now, and I don't ignore the possibilities of further technical advance.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    What fondness for long keels and heavy displacement? That sort of boat hasn't been built in any significant numbers for decades. Family cruisers from the makes you list are light, high tech hulls stuffed with electronics, roller furling systems and generally high-techery these days.

As it happens, I sail a forty year old long keeled design, but I don't delude myself into thinking that it's more than a minority interest now, and I don't ignore the possibilities of further technical advance.
    spotted this on the Anarchy site.. foiling and a wing mast .. From http://laloumulti.fr/site/

ArkemaMini6.50Vol2_Flou light.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fantasie 19; 22-02-17 at 12:15. Reason: Additional info
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

You never know, I might be right!

Attractive as foiling would be, surely the issue with foiling on a cruising boat is just one of displacement. Very unlikely you could build a cruising boat light enough to foil, let alone still being able to carry the inevitable cruising paraphernalia. Love the idea though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Attractive as foiling would be, surely the issue with foiling on a cruising boat is just one of displacement. Very unlikely you could build a cruising boat light enough to foil, let alone still being able to carry the inevitable cruising paraphernalia. Love the idea though :-)
    I suspect that like the cross over between F1 and the car on your drive, it is about degrees of change... as an example of what I'm thinking, a lot of cars now have wind spoilers, but they are not as extreme as the one's on a F1 car... in the same way I think we would see less extreme versions of those foils on production boats.. improvements in speed but not full foiling?
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

Right, at this point I have to say it; I was once, really, seriously told by the teenage son of a Fantasie 19 owner that he could get it to rise up and plane on the tips of the twin keels !

This was decades ago and is still a standard phrase between self and my chum who heard this claim - we quickly decided that whatever this character was on, we didn't want even a small sample - haven't seen this speed freak for a very long time, funnily enough.

And it wasn't our friend ' Fantasie 19 ' here - though I have seen him going along at a fair clip.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association www.anderson22class.co.uk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234