Default Fuel Sender Calibration Issue with Volvo Penta EVC

I have a 2008 boat with Volvo Penta D6's and an EVC C system. I needed to replace the fuel sender last year and have not been able to calibrate the fuel level to display either electronically and or on the analog gauge. I initially followed the manual to calibrate it using the 5 point method with an empty tank, and it seemed to work as I filled the tank, but then the screen told me that it didn't take. Since the tank was then full, I decided to wait a couple of days, since my IPS certified mechanic was due on board anyway. When he tried it, he told me that the system deleted the calibration software from the system; he has not been able to re-install the software since then, over a year ago. He is one of the most reputable mechanics in the area and I trust him. He has told me that Volvo Penta has not been able to provide him with a way to re-install the software.

I have visuals on the tanks, and am not worried about the fuel levels. However, I would like to use the fuel calibration when cruising. Has anyone else had this problem?

Default Re: Fuel Sender Calibration Issue with Volvo Penta EVC

Quote Originally Posted by ed kohls View Post
    I have a 2008 boat with Volvo Penta D6's and an EVC C system. I needed to replace the fuel sender last year and have not been able to calibrate the fuel level to display either electronically and or on the analog gauge. I initially followed the manual to calibrate it using the 5 point method with an empty tank, and it seemed to work as I filled the tank, but then the screen told me that it didn't take. Since the tank was then full, I decided to wait a couple of days, since my IPS certified mechanic was due on board anyway. When he tried it, he told me that the system deleted the calibration software from the system; he has not been able to re-install the software since then, over a year ago. He is one of the most reputable mechanics in the area and I trust him. He has told me that Volvo Penta has not been able to provide him with a way to re-install the software.

I have visuals on the tanks, and am not worried about the fuel levels. However, I would like to use the fuel calibration when cruising. Has anyone else had this problem?
    You can calibrate any system using the wheel by putting the system into OEM mode , settings, calibration, turn wheel to fuel level , press wheel, use a dumpy sender to calibrate, I've never calibrated by filling the tank , it takes too long, I'm not sure it would work that way as the time factor would be an issue.
    You could calibrate it by removing your existing sender .

Default Re: Fuel Sender Calibration Issue with Volvo Penta EVC

I know nothing about all this but from bitter experience calibrate empty on the gauge for empty tanks.