Default "Rough Passage" by R.D. Graham

A very good read.

"The writing by Robert Graham is straightforward, disarmingly so, and practical, and this remains a great book for anyone planning such a cruise (by the northern route to Labrador)...[and] his overcoming of adversity inspires. It's a sanguine account of some very difficult offshore sailing. Classic Boat Rough Passage is the story of one man, Royal Navy Commander Robert Graham, his boat, a seven ton, 30ft cutter named EMANUEL, and their epic return transatlantic crossing. The year was 1934, and Commander Graham s single-handed route took him from Falmouth to Labrador, then on to Bermuda for the Winter, before returning to England via the Azores. All this was without the advantage of the electronic navigation systems of today, or any of the many modern high-tech sailing aids. [and no engine].Throw in the roughest of passages at times, and his own health fears, and you have quite a tale"
    (Review from Amazon website)
    For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

Default Re: "Rough Passage" by R.D. Graham

Thanks for the recommendation. I have just ordered a copy.
    Leisure 17 "Bergamot" at Newhaven

Emanuel was found as a wreck and beautifully restored, in fact I have crewed on her. She has her own website, if anyone's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Layback View Post
    Emanuel was found as a wreck and beautifully restored, in fact I have crewed on her. She has her own website, if anyone's interested.
    That is interesting. I should have mentioned that the book also includes an account of Emanuel's restoration by Robert Holden and some photos showing the state she was in.

http://www.yacht-emanuel.co.uk/restoration.html
    For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

Commander Graham was the father of Helen Tew, I recalled: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...Helen-Tew.html

Did he pass roughage on his rough passage?

For pity's sake do not get the audiobook version. The narrator needs to be shot, though he sounds dead already. I have never heard such tedium combined with poor phrasing. Imagine an entire book read tony blair soundbite style, in a flat posh monotone with no conception of what the punctuation marks mean..and you will be somewhere close. Dire, and a complete evisceration of what sounds like a reasonably well written good story.

Well put..
    I find many audiobooks to be that way inclined.

Robert showed me over Emanuel last August at Shotley - really beautiful boat, some lovely original features.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00010646050824

FB images of Robert painting Emanuel today.