Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Default Re: Respect for Scottish sailors

Quote Originally Posted by NormanB View Post

My Scots friends are ashamed by the antics of the Independence movement too.
    Im kind of wondering what kind of Scots friends you have....

Probably doesn't apply to you but from what I've seen most folk from darn sarf who have a hard time up here are the type who bring it on themselves...

I would be quite happy for Scotland to have another indyref

Quote Originally Posted by wully1 View Post
    Im kind of wondering what kind of Scots friends you have....

Probably doesn't apply to you but from what I've seen most folk from darn sarf who have a hard time up here are the type who bring it on themselves...
    Yeah quite - I told my wife to stop going to the shops but she ignored me.

Yeah quite - I told my wife to stop going to the shops but she ignored me.
    Just wondering what part of West Dunbartonshire you stayed in....

As a sometime resident I don't recognise your problem.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Just wondering what part of West Dunbartonshire you stayed in....

As a sometime resident I don't recognise your problem.

Donald
    It's all too late now of course, but it was Helensburgh 1977 to 1982 (when it was part of Dunbartonshire), now Argyl and Bute.

I do not have a problem by the way.

Not wanting to upset the natives but they can be a funny lot in Helensburgh, bearing in mind what and whom is just up the road.

There are pubs that a Jock wouldn't be seen dead in...

Donald

True, true, very true - I very soon learned it would be imprudent to frequent the pubs of Helensburgh, no great loss as I am not a great one for pubs as a regular activity.

I have lived and worked in a dozen countries and never experienced anything like it, and the contrast of Helensburgh to the East Coast were much more marked.

Funnily enough, the best was the USA where I found, as individuals, they were were the most welcoming, hospitable, optimistic, generous, trusting and trustworthy. A lot of God botherers but that did not impact on their relationships with a heathen like me. As a nation though ..........

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    ...I thought the campaigns on both side were well run, and the debate was carried out with great courtesy and positivity...
    Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Indeed, the Scottish referendum campaign, on the whole, was an energising and uplifting experience...
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    ...it showed that people can discuss very different views with civility and good humour...
    Oh what a short memory. Just over two years ago and history is being rewritten to say that the referendum was good natured and full of open respectful discussions... wow!
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

It's all too late now of course, but it was Helensburgh 1977 to 1982 (when it was part of Dunbartonshire), now Argyl and Bute.
    Helensburgh? Where the well-off old Glaswegians who don't go to Largs to die go to die? Golly. Those teashops must be tougher than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    Oh what a short memory. Just over two years ago and history is being rewritten to say that the referendum was good natured and full of open respectful discussions... wow!
    There was a bit of silliness on both sides, of course, but generally yes, I do think it was generally very civilised. Compare it with the referendum in England last summer.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    I'm sure it felt that way for Yes supporters, they really did (up to a point) enjoy themselves speaking to each other in their echo chambers. It was a very different story for those on the other side.

I'll not mention indy again on this thread, plenty of scope for that in the lounge

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213