Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Yanmar 2 gm 20 f

On a 1gm10 raw water cooled - when running normally I can put my hand on any part of the engine - inc the elbow. With a temp warning gauge that goes off @ 63 C - I doubt if the water needs to go into the exhaust at all - it could just go out on its own.
    I have been tempted to rig it up like that just to see what difference it makes to the elbow temp ?

Quote Originally Posted by nemodreams View Post
    On a 1gm10 raw water cooled - when running normally I can put my hand on any part of the engine - inc the elbow. With a temp warning gauge that goes off @ 63 C - I doubt if the water needs to go into the exhaust at all - it could just go out on its own.
    I have been tempted to rig it up like that just to see what difference it makes to the elbow temp ?
    I wouldn't recommend diverting the water flow as you appear to suggest. The metal elbow will get extremely hot from the exhaust gases, esp. with the engine under load, so you wouldn't want to touch it. The rubber exhaust pipe and any plastic water-lock etc will be damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
    I wouldn't recommend diverting the water flow as you appear to suggest. The metal elbow will get extremely hot from the exhaust gases, esp. with the engine under load, so you wouldn't want to touch it. The rubber exhaust pipe and any plastic water-lock etc will be damaged.
    But it's the water that's keeping the elbow cool enough to put your hand on it .... that's exactly what it's for.

Earlybird is almost certainly right.

You can have non-water cooled exhausts on boats but you need a different ducting system/silencer.

Richard

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

I was forced to motor for no more than a couple of minutes without water when my water pump failed right in the middle of the entrance to Scheveningen harbour. The engine was OK but later inspection found the water trap appreciably melted.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12