Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Skin fitting lock nuts?

Yes, I had a similar problem many years ago and couldn't find anyone nearby with a suitable Loctite product. I did buy a reasonable amount of a Rocol product and still have about 80% left.

I started out thinking that locknuts were the way to go in order to align the valves but discovered that a mix of elbows and restricted access made it easier to use Rocol (or similar). I had not used Rocol before and therefore applied some Sikaflex externally around each joint after the Rocol had set.

It worked well and all the valves remained correctly aligned without any leaks. I had to undo one recently and simply ran a blade through the Sikaflex before unscrewing the fitting. Probably overkill with the external Sikaflex but it was really easy to dismantle and gripped both parts in use

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Yep. Last time I needed any, ASAP only had brass available for exactly that reason.
    They list some bronze ones now. I'm not having brass there, so if there is no bronze to fit I shall need to change my approach. Loctite would be ideal if everything was new, but I doubts if I could get all the grease out now ... as I said it wasn't me what put it there, but it looks like Blake's seacock grease or something similar. Unshiftable.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    .... Unshiftable.
    I serviced mine last year just before it's launch, after nearly 3 years ashore. I good wire brush first, vacuum up the crud, then a scrub with a small thickness wire brush and degreaser, followed by a rag wrap and reciprocation cleaned the threads up on the seawater inlet strainer skin fitting. I had a bit of room though, as the strainer is right where the engine access panel is.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12