Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Underwater Racing Finishes

Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    Every time I see this I think it refers to some amazing finish line technology. I wonder how far fetched that would be....
    So what about underwater racing starts?

Quote Originally Posted by markhomer View Post
    anyone any experience of vc17 m extra ???
    Very average in terms of antifouling properties, but the real problem was the following year when no other antifoul paint stuck to it. 4 days later I finally go that last of the VC17 off and was able to use another make.
    Moody 31

Our Squib fleet has a mixture of paints plus coppercoat. My squib has Coppertec which performs marginally better than Coppercoat. In any event we have to have the boats out every3-4 weeks to jetwash otherwise the build up of film is too great.
    My cruiser, which has Coppercoat grew weed weed over 4 inches long in only 9 weeks in spite of having sailed 500 miles in that time so it has not just sat in a marina
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 21-07-17 at 18:01.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I tried VC17m once. Difficult to apply as the second coat tended to pull the first coat off. Sure it left a lovely baby's bum finish, but as an antifoul it was quite the most useless I've ever used, more like a fertilizer Even had anenomes thriving after a couple months. Boat was based in Bursledon.

Only good bit was it was very easy to remove from the hull so I could use something better.

Like michael_w I used VC17m and had the same result. It was especially good at propagating those gel-like circular things that are better than any known glues.

This year I'd read PBO magazine's two annual tests, in which Seajet's 033 Shogun was shown to be the best for The Hamble, so three coats was applied, exactly as per the instructions.

Imagine my delight at finding this after seven weeks. The boat is on a river mooring between HRSC and Warsash, so fast flowing tide.

IMG_20170704_132234396_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20170704_130315771_HDR.jpgIMG_20170704_130320146_HDR.jpg

I lifted it again this week (two weeks on) and it had about 1mm of green 'moss' more or less all over, more in some patches. It's going to have to come out again next week for Cowes Week. Not happy, and Seajet haven't replied to my enquiry as to whether they think this is 'within bounds'.

A friend reckons he's doing much better with Micron, and I'd be delighted to hear what you think is a reasonable frequency for a scrubbing time interval.

I should add that it's over twenty years since I've owned a boat in the UK, and had been used to much much better in the TBT days.
    Last edited by anoccasionalyachtsman; 21-07-17 at 17:19.

In case anyone wants coppercoat. This is my hull 12 weeks after launch & 500 miles of sailing. the boat became almost unsailable about 3 weeks ago due to weed
    DSC_3832 (600 x 402).jpgd

I have been round with a stiff brush as far down as I can reach several times during that time.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 21-07-17 at 17:59.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I use Coppercoat on my small racy boat. It's rubbish for anti fouling in our brackish water. We scrub every 4 weeks so it's not a problem in our case. The advantage of Coppercoat is the finish is tough as nails, so you can paint the boat once properly and just clean it from there on in, avoiding the build up of antifoul into miniature mountains over time (or the hassle of getting it off and starting again). In summary a nice tough finish, but for me not many actual antifouling properties. Depends on your water and weather I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12