Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NV Charts.

Default NV Charts.

I spotted these in a local shop but have never heard much discussion about them:

https://www.yachtbits.com/nv-charts-...ill-lnodon-uk4

Raster format, multiple platform, available over the counter with paper charts included. Seems a pretty attractive package.
    Has anyone tried them?

Default Re: NV Charts.

Thanks for that. You wait for ages then two come along at once.

I can confirm they are in raster format, these people do a good range:

http://www.bookharbour.com/charts/foreign/nv-charts/

They don't do the mega-big coverage of some but I guess that is inevitable if paper maps are supplied as part of the pack.

We first came across NV Charts when in France. We bought their Brittany portfolios - first South then as found them so good added the North portfolio also.

Worked well so planning to use NV also for the Baltic (if we get there!).

Comes with a CD ROM to download electronic copies (make sure you make a note of the product licence code on a card). Just done so and got up and running successfully on the iPad with their free App.
    Being raster (the CD ROM and download onto iPad definitely seem to be) the iPad version is clear and effective, but a bit more clunky than the (excellent) Navionics App. But as a free add on from a set of paper charts they seem good value and really good to have on iPad as backup navigation & planning tool.

Not sure I would go NV for the UK yet though - seems quite limited coverage (unless South Coast of England and France is your horizon) so personally I am sticking with Admiralty Folios (for the areas that exist - still big gaps in the Admiralty Folios for northern UK waters)

RRP inc VAT £40 deleted

Price ex IVA £39 seems a bit of a rip-off!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarro View Post
    RRP inc VAT £40 deleted

Price ex IVA £39 seems a bit of a rip-off!
    Why? Aren't these zero rated as books, therefore a small discount of £1.

Talking Re: NV Charts.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I spotted these in a local shop but have never heard much discussion about them:

https://www.yachtbits.com/nv-charts-...ill-lnodon-uk4

Raster format, multiple platform, available over the counter with paper charts included. Seems a pretty attractive package.
    Has anyone tried them?
    Doug, was that Sea Chest at QAB? I was really impressed with their knowlage and range of stuff and will be buying all my charts/books/kit from them in the future.

I was discussing some charting requirements with them on Saturday and they pulled out some NV charts that looked ideal for some, cough, longer passages that I have in mind. Have you been using them, if so what are your thoughts?
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Doug, was that Sea Chest at QAB? I was really impressed with their knowlage and range of stuff and will be buying all my charts/books/kit from them in the future.

I was discussing some charting requirements with them on Saturday and they pulled out some NV charts that looked ideal for some, cough, longer passages that I have in mind. Have you been using them, if so what are your thoughts?

I first saw them at Marine Bazaar. However I did not invest in the end, for a number of little reasons but mainly because I decided the present folio (aka my bundle of tea stained, hieroglyphs) was up to the job. I also have a plotter + back up.

Do agree that Sea Chest is the place to go for best range and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I first saw them at Marine Bazaar. However I did not invest in the end, for a number of little reasons but mainly because I decided the present folio (aka my bundle of tea stained, hieroglyphs) was up to the job. I also have a plotter + back up.

Do agree that Sea Chest is the place to go for best range and advice.
    I always feel I need to spend a day in Marine Bazaar just to understand what they have got!
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Fantastic charts, my go-to for the NL but not for home waters. I had issues with downloading onto an older iPad, check they are compatible with your IoS.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast