Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Cheapskates Offshore Racing Club (CORC) - would there be any takers?

Jury trials in civil lit are about as common as rocking horse muck but that's not entirely relevant.

I do think the point about 'who says a Sonata can do it - well the ISAF Codes do if they comply with X,Y & Z is entirely sensible. Whilst making offshore racing more accessible is an honourable aim, I think sacrificing the safety considerations is probably not the way to do it. One idiot's 'health and safety gone mad' is another man's 'taking responsibility'.

That said, it is quite clear to me that the RYA's aim is to keep the riff raff out of sailing in any way they can, including by scaring the living heebeegeebies out of newbies.

Default Re: Cheapskates Offshore Racing Club (CORC) - would there be any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Judders View Post
    That said, it is quite clear to me that the RYA's aim is to keep the riff raff out of sailing in any way they can, including by scaring the living heebeegeebies out of newbies.
    That's an interesting view. Are you suggesting they are encouraging the belief that the only safe way into sailing is to jump through lots of expensive hoops (held up perhaps by them) or was there something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Triassic View Post
    Actually it is black and white. If a skipper decides to enter their boat in an event why should it fall to anyone else to take "reasonable care" of them? What responsibility do I have for you, or anyone else out there? If I for example posted on here saying I was going to sail my boat from A to B starting at a particular time and date and invited others to join me with their boats do I have a responsibility towards them?
    Yes you do. You can of course simply ignore the law and maybe even get away with it if you are lucky. If you arent lucky powers greater than you will decide what your responsibilities were and they will act on that basis. Your views of what life should be like will count for nothing.

Are you feeling lucky?

No wonder sports participation seems to be falling all over the place, with all this legal stuff in the way. Thankfully dinghy racing is free from all these considerations and you can take any boat of any age and any condition and race it against others. The risk of drowning is probably higher in dinghies as well.

On another point, Frank Dye used to sail to Iceland in his 16 foot Wayfarer in quite treacherous conditions, so I would have thought any small keelboat, including sportsboats, would be up to the job of a cross channel race.

An interesting read. As a participant and organiser I think a few things should be said:

Taking part in racing doesn't have to be expensive, organising a race costs almost nothing if you do it under the banner of a yacht club that has 'normal' yacht club type insurance.
    The RYA guidance on organising a race is quite straight forward and easy to follow, it gives good structure and helps avoid issues being raised by fellow racers (who may not have quite such a laid back approach to racing). It also helps you demonstrate to your insurer that you have applied due diligence should something go wrong and somebody start litigation.
    Categorising races using the ORC guidance (Cat 4,3,2,1,0) and splitting classes by rating / handicap /length you should be able to get sports boats and cruisers split so everybody can have a good race. Ultimately the organiser can decide!
    Set courses and destinations that people want to go to - use some of the entry fee to buy each participant a beer at the end!
    Sail and enjoy.

Yoda

There is a race coming up in our area that requires ORC cat 3 with liferaft . I stopped counting the cost of getting my boat up to that standard - liferaft to be in date, flares in date etc

Quote Originally Posted by wotayottie View Post
    There is a race coming up in our area that requires ORC cat 3 with liferaft . I stopped counting the cost of getting my boat up to that standard - liferaft to be in date, flares in date etc
    Hire a liferaft - that's what we do, should always be right spec, in-date and serviced.

BTW the entries are out for JOG Nab Tower race (Cat 4 so no liferaft required) next weekend, a good mix of smaller/lower rating boats in Class 6 as usual.

What is the slowest rated boat in Class 6?

Seems it was a SCOD, last year, Firecracker off 0.773, a Contessa 26 won the class. See here:

http://www.jog.org.uk/Nab%20Tower%20reports.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Racecruiser View Post
    Hire a liferaft - that's what we do, should always be right spec, in-date and serviced.

BTW the entries are out for JOG Nab Tower race (Cat 4 so no liferaft required) next weekend, a good mix of smaller/lower rating boats in Class 6 as usual.
    Definitely an idea for next year. And there's Round the Island. But some racing specifically for smaller boats would be good. Of course, what we really need in this country is an active Mini 6.50 class - but attempts to get it going seem to be doomed to failure. Sadly.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast