Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Teddington
    Posts
    6,265

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Well worth the effort,the most historic river in the world and far more interesting than some sweaty location down in the "MED".
    Thanks for the warning. I've yet to visit the MEDway, but I bow down to your superior knowledge

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Medway
    Posts
    16,972

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    Thanks for the warning. I've yet to visit the MEDway, but I bow down to your superior knowledge

    Was actually thinking of something a little further south than that.
    Always been a mystery to me why anybody would want to spend one half of day shuffling across some vast remote car park,resisting spending any money on foul overpriced coffee while bored out of your mind in a horrifically expensive shopping mall only to spend the next four hours inhaling every communicable disease known to man with the added bonus of DVT thrown in for good measure.
    You then have go ten rounds with the girl trying to earn a living flogging vastly useless and dodgy extra car insurance having handed over your card while they swipe a few thousand euros,just so they can hit you with claim on your return for several scratches put on the car by the 15 year old valeting boy.
    Tank full or empty Sir !
    We will hit your card for a full tank and refund anything left on your return or we can merely charge you 4 times the going rate to refill it .
    You then have to go to the captainerre to find out exactly how much they charged to damage the clips on your covers while giving it a feeble waterless wash.You pay your moorings fees plus another 20% due to the collapse of the pound.
    None of the jobs you asked to done while you are away will have been carried out by the way.This means the plotter is still not working and the A/C still blows warm air.
    You spend most of your week sweltering in the heat hiding under the canopies while waiting for the wind to drop and the ability to get out of your berth without damaging the gel coat on the boat either side of you.
    You fill up at £1,50 a litre.Plus the extra 20 % since Brexit.
    At the Cala ....having dropped the hook a dozen times to get a hold you spent he rest of the day worrying about who you are going to hit due the Cala being jammed full of other UK boats all enjoying the lifestyle.
    You could go for a swim...............shame about those jellyfish.
    When the temp finally drops to bearable you decide to go home, a glance out to sea confirms the wind has picked out,it always does, and you are going to be fixing up the ceiling panels in the cabin again and trying to work out which wire goes where on the light fitting.
    An interesting bum clenching ride back and you get most of the muck off the boat bought aboard by the stern line.
    Then attempt to get as many clips as possible secured/some of the zips nearly do up as well.
    Up at the crack of dawn to fight through the city commutor traffic around the airport and eventually find the car drop off point and wait while some eagle eyed hombre checks every centimetre of the under tray and spare wheel.
    Then you only have to drag your sorry bum across the concourse into the departures hall and join the 200 strong line of semi pissed holidaymakers all going your way for the next four hours.
    You might be lucky and you plane home might have left Gatwick on its way back to you,it is more probably is still on its way to Gatwick
    TBC.

    Whats not to like
    Last edited by oldgit; 20-03-17 at 19:57.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Limehouse hole
    Posts
    428

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    He said he has a BSS certificate.
    I always thought there was a limit to the number of visitors licenses but was told last year by a lock keeper just buy more and more according to what you require.

    Thats if you stay on the EA section anyway.

    It would get very expensive and I expect something about the BSS would come up at some stage to avoid the loophole situation.

    Good point
    I like boats

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    3,906

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Outinthedinghy View Post
    He said he has a BSS certificate.
    I always thought there was a limit to the number of visitors licenses but was told last year by a lock keeper just buy more and more according to what you require.

    Thats if you stay on the EA section anyway.

    It would get very expensive and I expect something about the BSS would come up at some stage to avoid the loophole situation.

    Good point
    Same here - I had a quick look at the EA site and found no mention of the previous limits.
    Perhaps someone in EA Towers has realised that it's more important to get the money in that restricting how often you can visit.
    From the boaters point of view it's much better to estimate how long you need 'up front' - 3 days licence is more expensive than a weekly.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Notting Hill, London
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Was actually thinking of something a little further south than that.
    Always been a mystery to me why anybody would want to spend one half of day shuffling across some vast remote car park,resisting spending any money on foul overpriced coffee while bored out of your mind in a horrifically expensive shopping mall only to spend the next four hours inhaling every communicable disease known to man with the added bonus of DVT thrown in for good measure.
    You then have go ten rounds with the girl trying to earn a living flogging vastly useless and dodgy extra car insurance having handed over your card while they swipe a few thousand euros,just so they can hit you with claim on your return for several scratches put on the car by the 15 year old valeting boy.
    Tank full or empty Sir !
    We will hit your card for a full tank and refund anything left on your return or we can merely charge you 4 times the going rate to refill it .
    You then have to go to the captainerre to find out exactly how much they charged to damage the clips on your covers while giving it a feeble waterless wash.You pay your moorings fees plus another 20% due to the collapse of the pound.
    None of the jobs you asked to done while you are away will have been carried out by the way.This means the plotter is still not working and the A/C still blows warm air.
    You spend most of your week sweltering in the heat hiding under the canopies while waiting for the wind to drop and the ability to get out of your berth without damaging the gel coat on the boat either side of you.
    You fill up at £1,50 a litre.Plus the extra 20 % since Brexit.
    At the Cala ....having dropped the hook a dozen times to get a hold you spent he rest of the day worrying about who you are going to hit due the Cala being jammed full of other UK boats all enjoying the lifestyle.
    You could go for a swim...............shame about those jellyfish.
    When the temp finally drops to bearable you decide to go home, a glance out to sea confirms the wind has picked out,it always does, and you are going to be fixing up the ceiling panels in the cabin again and trying to work out which wire goes where on the light fitting.
    An interesting bum clenching ride back and you get most of the muck off the boat bought aboard by the stern line.
    Then attempt to get as many clips as possible secured/some of the zips nearly do up as well.
    Up at the crack of dawn to fight through the city commutor traffic around the airport and eventually find the car drop off point and wait while some eagle eyed hombre checks every centimetre of the under tray and spare wheel.
    Then you only have to drag your sorry bum across the concourse into the departures hall and join the 200 strong line of semi pissed holidaymakers all going your way for the next four hours.
    You might be lucky and you plane home might have left Gatwick on its way back to you,it is more probably is still on its way to Gatwick
    TBC.

    Whats not to like
    Best post I've read in here in a long long time. Hilarious given all the stuff you read on the other forum. Keep up the good work!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Medway
    Posts
    16,972

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeinLondon View Post
    Best post I've read in here in a long long time. Hilarious given all the stuff you read on the other forum. Keep up the good work!
    Ask me nicely and will even tell you the downsides.
    Must also remember that having dissed the UK, used the standard "weather excuse" when announcing proudly of your intending departure of the UK for sunnier climes, having spent fortune relocating to a reclaimed el pantano marina where the previous inhabitants ie bichos cannot believe their luck with all the new free meals around, you are hardly likely to announce you want to get on the first plane home.
    Last edited by oldgit; 21-03-17 at 14:02.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    125

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeinLondon View Post
    Best post I've read in here in a long long time. Hilarious given all the stuff you read on the other forum. Keep up the good work!
    +100

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Milton Keynes MK9
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    You'll have a valve on the sea toilet. Keep it closed and don't use it. Sewage in the river is not welcome or legal (see recent news reports for gross sewage pollution case).
    Rob@BSSOffice
    Go boating - Stay safe

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Teddington
    Posts
    6,265

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    Aren't the meant to be sealed with a tamper proof wire at Teddington Lock, like you see on shipping containers?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Milton Keynes MK9
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: Visitor licensing requirements?

    The concept is that a means of preventing discharge will remind people not to use the facility if it will result in polluting the waterway.
    Is a closeable valve fitted in the discharge line of any toilet appliance or toilet holding tank with overboard discharge?
    What it aplies to: Check all toilets and toilet holding tanks for the presence of an overboard discharge line.

    If present, check for the presence and condition of a closeable valve installed in the discharge line.

    The criteria to be met: - All toilets and toilet holding tanks having an overboard discharge line must have a closeable valve fitted in the discharge line.

    The valve and connections must be complete and leak-free.

    Additional information and pointers: NOTE – valves must not be operated.

    NOTE – the diverter valves to toilet holding tanks not capable of being discharged overboard satisfy this check.

    NOTE – discharge outlets having a ‘tools-to-remove’ cap, and overboard discharge lines from toilet holding tanks discharged solely by shore-side pumping arrangements, are not subject to this check.

    Examiner action – if toilet waste is determined to be escaping into the watercourse contact the BSS Office and take the relevant actions described in Appendix B (i.e. alert the BSS and navigation authority, issue a warning notice). If the arrangements inevitably result in toilet waste discharging overboard contact the BSS Office.
    Rob@BSSOffice
    Go boating - Stay safe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Boats For Sale

to
to