Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hit by a coaster, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    If you had turned up at your mooring and found your boat damaged, and nobody had any information about it, you would, unless the damage was trivial, have made a claim on your insurers. The only difference here is that you have some information and have decided to play detective and track down the owners of the other vessel. Suppose you do find its owners and they deny knowledge of the incident; where does that leave you?

You have two obligations to your insurers:

1. To disclose any material information affecting your insurance, eg your boat has been damaged.

2. To file any claim promptly.

Let the insurers deal with it. That's what you pay them for.

Very good point, I have called them and submitted a claim. They're far better placed than me to deal with it as you say.
    Thanks for the advice all, hopefully it won't take too long to get sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    Very good point, I have called them and submitted a claim. They're far better placed than me to deal with it as you say.
    Thanks for the advice all, hopefully it won't take too long to get sorted!
    I hope it all works out and you get your damage repaired.
    For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

1 PEEL PORTS. Sheerness control room.
    2 The control room on the bridge.

Last edited by oldgit; 21-03-17 at 13:37.

Quick update, just in case anyone was interested.

I'm now into the second month of paying yard storage fees waiting for quotes for repair from people who promise the earth but deliver nothing.
    The underwriters (Nav & Gen) have been extremely understanding, and helpful, and are trying to track down somebody who can actually provide an estimate.
    The skipper of the coaster is claiming that my boat drifted from its mooring, into his path then must have somehow drifted back to the mooring and tied itself back up afterwards.
    The battle, frustration and expense continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    Quick update, just in case anyone was interested.

I'm now into the second month of paying yard storage fees waiting for quotes for repair from people who promise the earth but deliver nothing.
    The underwriters (Nav & Gen) have been extremely understanding, and helpful, and are trying to track down somebody who can actually provide an estimate.
    The skipper of the coaster is claiming that my boat drifted from its mooring, into his path then must have somehow drifted back to the mooring and tied itself back up afterwards.
    The battle, frustration and expense continues...
    If you are fully comp its down to your insurers to get the boat reinstated to condition prior to the incident
    .Dont take any crap from them,
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Does their AIS history not show the route they took, ie too close past your boat?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12