Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Would you wax a brand new boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Trundlebug View Post
    Before you apply A-Glaze or any other product, have a read of this protection product comparison thread.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ion+comparison

You will then be armed with enough information to make a much more informed decision on the best product to use, how difficult or otherwise it is to apply, and how well it lasts compared to the other products available.

FWIW I would definitely apply a protection from new. There's no better time to do it. The gelcoat will probably never look as good as when new, so you'll want to retain that look as long as possible and delay any deterioration from weather and uv.
    excellent link Trundlebug, that was an hour of reading well worth the time... what a great piece of work!

Yup definitely do in now, when new, imho. Gtechniq or A Glaze imho. Both easy to apply

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Yup definitely do in now, when new, imho. Gtechniq or A Glaze imho. Both easy to apply
    Many thanks JFM.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanB View Post
    I would expect it polished and waxed for me if I was buying a new boat.
    I would polish & check for defects at the same time
    I may be wrong this time but not always

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    I would polish & check for defects at the same time
    Now that is an excellent reason.

I do similar when acquiring a 'new' to me car. It's no real hardship as I tend to buy 3 year old Mercs' and keep them for 15 years plus. It is a great way of finding issues.

The first thing to do is have a very good look at the boat, particularly in sunshine. Quite often you will see massive swirl marks where someone has given the boat a quick once over with a mop. You need to get rid of them before you do anything and that means employing a good marine detailer. They will mop over the boat to remove any swirl marks. The cutting element doesn't necessarily need to be harsh, but you do need to in effect sand the swirl scratches away or at least polish their surface so they become invisible.

I'm a big fan of Gtechniq. I've seen A Glaze used and I wasn't impressed. Apparently it "soaks in the surface" but I can't see how that's possible. Gtchniq dries and hardens. It's applied with small make up type pads and when you come back the next day those pads are rock solid, so it really does harden. Black marks just wipe off with your finger afterwards.

In terms of UV protection I'm less convinced. It's a very thin coat and it won't stop GRP aging. But in terms of cleaning ease then it is very good.

Now for the caveat. All this stuff is hugely dependent on who you get to apply it and also the environment in which you carry out the work. For best results you want to be under cover in a shed. Just going through the motions is no good, you have to keep constantly checking the surface and adapt your work accordingly. You also need to use the right products, polishing cloths, mop heads and so on.

Henry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12